Phrase Ideas & Suggestions

What do you like about the phrase editor?

What would you change if there were no limits?

I think it’s a great way to set up some wicked drum patterns!!! I tried making something similar in NI Reaktor years ago…

Would love to be able to automate Macros inside the Phrase Editor… Or at least have some way to type in a CC# when assigning MIDI parameters

Also would be cool to be able to drag and drop phrases in to the pattern editor :walkman:

There is so much potential for the phrase editor concept… _ Cheers to the developers!!! _

Color coding the phrase numbers would also be helpful with categorizing various phrases. Eg. red for build ups, blue for break downs. green for hook, etc…

I love being able to target individual samples and pitch them in a phrase. I also love using 0Sxx in the pattern editor to play a specific line… and again re-pitching via pattern editor.

If I would change one thing, it would be to allow midi CC to be sent to VSTs from phrases (I don’t think you can do that, right?)

I just tried… I didn’t have any luck…

Could play and entire song just with phrases if things got fine tuned…

Would be cool just to have phrases to change fx setting and such

If I would change one thing, it would be to allow midi CC to be sent to VSTs from phrases (I don’t think you can do that, right?)

No, all MIDI commands in a phrase are directed towards the MIDI output associated with the instrument containing the phrase, not the plugin.

That’s great for automating filters on external gear, but I totally agree - also being able to direct the MIDI “inwards”, to the instrument itself, would be even greater.

Would be cool just to have phrases to change fx setting and such

As long as you’re thinking “inside the box” (the instrument itself), you can hook up any note to trigger/control any FX. Meaning: you can choose to have external keys control an effect, or you can hook up the notes within the phrase to do the same thing.

A couple of the tutorial instruments in 3.1 deal with this: click the instrument preset dropdown in the Sampler tab and select Bundled Content > Tutorial → Key Switching or Key Controlled FX :slight_smile:

No, all MIDI commands in a phrase are directed towards the MIDI output associated with the instrument containing the phrase, not the plugin.

That’s great for automating filters on external gear, but I totally agree - also being able to direct the MIDI “inwards”, to the instrument itself, would be even greater.

Hrm… I was wrong about this. I_can_ send MIDI CC to the current plugin via phrases. It’s the M0 in right-most pan column, xxyy in effect column as documented in the manual. I can’t remember why I thought it didn’t work now?

The only “problem” is that the CC gets sent_after_ the midi notes… when my intent is to apply that CC to the notes on that line.

HOWEVER I don’t think it’s a big deal, because I can program the MIDI CC in a track to the left of the track playing notes… and I can do it directly in the pattern, or in a phrase. Which brings up the_really_ cool possibility of creating note phrases, and MIDI CC phrases, and playing them against each other.

So danoise I think we may be misunderstanding each other somewhere? Because I guess you can totally send CC messages to the plugin instrument via phrases… which is seriously cool.

My (very happy) mistake :slight_smile:

I can’t remember why I thought it didn’t work now?

Hah! That makes two of us. I was sure this wasn’t possible with VSTs, because it doesn’t affect sample-based instruments.

My +1 stands because it would seem to be more internally consistent to have MIDI commands affect the whole trinity of an instrument: MIDI + Plugin + Sampler

Still, even without the Renoise sampler covered I’m convinced this will make a good addition to Noodletrap - pitchbend, aftertouch, can’t ignore this.

The only “problem” is that the CC gets sent_after_ the midi notes… when my intent is to apply that CC to the notes on that line.

I think you can solve this by adding a miniscule amount of delay to the notes in the phrase (a value of 1 in the delay column should suffice).

Or from the pattern editor itself, depending on what you prefer.

I think you can solve this by adding a miniscule amount of delay to the notes in the phrase (a value of 1 in the delay column should suffice).

Or from the pattern editor itself, depending on what you prefer.

Yep! Super simple. Nice one :slight_smile:

As long as you’re thinking “inside the box” (the instrument itself), you can hook up any note to trigger/control any FX. Meaning: you can choose to have external keys control an effect, or you can hook up the notes within the phrase to do the same thing.

A couple of the tutorial instruments in 3.1 deal with this: click the instrument preset dropdown in the Sampler tab and select Bundled Content > Tutorial → Key Switching or Key Controlled FX :slight_smile:

I wasn’t aware of this, looks very cool! But I can’t recreate it myself. I mean if I try to control a keytracker with an empty sample, it just won’t trigger. What am I missing?

What do you like about the phrase editor?

What would you change if there were no limits?

There is so much potential for the phrase editor concept… _ Cheers to the developers!!! _

Yeah, the phrases concept is IMO the greatest feature ever implemented in all of Renoise’s history. It’s pure genius and with a potential of such magnitude that everything else get dwarfed in comparison.

The biggest update to the phrases for me would be"render multiple tracks to phrase".While the phrases themselves in the current state (3.1) are bound to a single instrument (also compatible with Redux), thereshould be a new way to fold and package multiple instrument into a single master phrase or master instrument.

With such an update… well,thenwe’reinto reallycool stuff with a new horizonof possibilities open to us.

I wasn’t aware of this, looks very cool! But I can’t recreate it myself. I mean if I try to control a keytracker with an empty sample, it just won’t trigger. What am I missing?

The keytracker is within the instrument FX? It really should work fine then.

Check out the attachment - I modified the keyswitching tutorial (which uses C-3 / C#3 to switch between two samples) so that the phrase itself does the switching.

Pretty sure I’m missing something. Here’s an example project. 2 empty instruments with keytrackers in the instrument FX. 1st one works fine with a silent sample. 2nd one just won’t trigger the keytracker using an empty sample. For me at least. :S

In the second example, there is no sample data in the buffer - I think the playback engine skips it entirely.

Try adding some empty frames and see if it helps?

Yeah, the phrases concept is IMO the greatest feature ever implemented in all of Renoise’s history. It’s pure genius and with a potential of such magnitude that everything else get dwarfed in comparison.

The biggest update to the phrases for me would be"render multiple tracks to phrase".While the phrases themselves in the current state (3.1) are bound to a single instrument (also compatible with Redux), thereshould be a new way to fold and package multiple instrument into a single master phrase or master instrument.

With such an update… well,thenwe’reinto reallycool stuff with a new horizonof possibilities open to us.

Speaking ofrendering multiple tracks and instruments tophrases, the old Xphraze VST plugincould be inspiring to check out:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Xphraze

In the second example, there is no sample data in the buffer - I think the playback engine skips it entirely.

Try adding some empty frames and see if it helps?

Sorry for being such a noob but… No idea how I add empty frames. :blush:

Frames … well, it’s just another word for ‘samples’, as in: “samples, the stuff samples are made from”. Sometimes it’s good to be able to say “frames, the stuff samples are made from”.

So, go to the Sampler and hit the Create button in the waveform view. This is the easiest way to actually add some samples to your sample :slight_smile: