New Tool (3.1): Better column navigation

Maybe this has already been done, or at least it should have been…

1. Enhancement/replacement for the standard tab-shortcut in Pattern Editor (Jump to next/prev column).

Difference to the native shortcut:

• Includes master effect columns, NOT only note columns. I would guess this is the preferred behavior for most of us.

• When in a sub column (vol/pan/dly/sample fx), “Jump to prev column” will jump to the current note column, NOT to the previous note column.

1. Handy shortcut for toggling between note columns and effect columns, coded by danoise.

Shortcuts are found in preferences/keys, “Pattern Editor:Navigation” (at the bottom).

Jump to next column (note/fx)

Jump to previous column (note/fx)

Toggle between note/fx columns

6683 joule.no0b.BetterColumnNavigation.xrnx

Thanks for this one joule. Your tools are Always welcome and much appreciated by me!!

• When in a sub column (vol/pan/dly/sample fx), “Jump to prev column” will jump to the current note column, NOT to the previous note column.

Interesting - think I’d have to try this out, because I imagine jumping back seems like it would be counter-intuitive

But perhaps not?

Interesting - think I’d have to try this out, because I imagine jumping back seems like it would be counter-intuitive

But perhaps not?

This is actually the behavior I’m used to from other trackers (I don’t know if all or just some). It’s highly intuitive imo :slight_smile: I think most oldschool trackers would argue that when cursor is in the volume column, shift-tab should go back to its note column and NOT the previous note column. The native Renoise shortcut is actually going back two steps, from the oldschool perspective.

This way, shift-tab also acts as a quick ‘goto note column’ when fiddling in any of the sub columns. To me, it’s important that the tab shortcut has an optimal behavior. It’s probably the most used shortcut besides arrow keys and play shortcuts. My suspicion is that a lot of Renoise users rely too heavily on navigating with arrow keys (tedious) where tab used to be much more efficient if implemented properly.

Agree with what you say and tools seems to work flawlessly.

My suspicion is that a lot of Renoise users rely too heavily on navigating with arrow keys (tedious) where tab used to be much more efficient if implemented properly.

Probably, yes. I would like to add that we probably all tend to use the mouse a little more than we want or care to admit. Would be nice if we could access ALL areas using just the keyboard (however awkward it might be) - but hey,this is probably worthy of a separate topic :slight_smile:

1. Enhancement/replacement for the standard tab-shortcut in Pattern Editor (Jump to next/prev column).

2. Handy shortcut for toggling between note columns and effect columns, coded by danoise.

Jump to next column (note/fx)

Jump to previous column (note/fx)

Toggle between note/fx columns

attachicon.gifjoule.no0b.BetterColumnNavigation.xrnx

I protest. I had a great deal of difficulty finding these shortcuts because they don’t reference “Better” or “Joule” in the shortcut list, which is a shame.