#51 joule

joule

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1491 posts
  • Interests:music, philosophy, engineering

Posted 23 May 2016 - 13:43

Yes. Piano roll just being a visual thing would be great..

But then you move notes in the piano roll, noticing how it's trying to autoadapt into note columns while messing up the sample fx column. That's why I dismissed the idea of integration and thought a convert option be more realistic.

Edit: Many of the sample fx could perhaps be moved along with the note, with special case for glide (special rule to maintain consecutive notes during auto-adaptation).

Edited by joule, 23 May 2016 - 13:53.

#52 Mark2

Mark2

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 14:17

imho, imho

Raul, danoise, joule, wait wait wait.... why do you guys think the reflection code would be doable or even easy?

i make a track

c-5

---

---

the delay column for it goes like:

d4

d7

d2

afaik renoise doesn't yet clean up data that does not have any effects (doesn't do anything)

now, what's the piano roll representation of this renoise song? little events. visualized by some markers, that read "would delay if something stood there?"

or should renoise rather clean up every old song on import and disallow all that stuff in future? (as it cleans up superflous offs)

the point is, if the tracker songs and the pianoroll should be compatible, that "reflection code" might keep the renoise devs busy for ages. i've now simply swallowed the idea that it's not worth it for trying to get users in that would no way see a better or on par piano roll than cubase, fl studio etc.

sure, renoise could maybe sort notes at some more places than recording afair. it should maybe keep you informed if there migh be a sustaining note (i just placed offs and it seemed ok). and maybe zoom, but that's quite incompatible with the timing (delay and whatever) commands, so i see why there is still no zoom, too. and as soon as the space wasting comes in: this has zero advantage. all you see is note bars taking gui space and not pleasing any additional customer.

i can't help it, i think, until now, taktik has made an tremendous effort not doing anytihing wrong with renoise. i highly respect their decisions. and they should probably add a lot of but

not a piano roll, it the definition of it is "projecting keys onto an axis" (or wasting space between columns). this is so bad for renoise, because the user would need to move the cursor to that column with as many key strokes as the musical interval. Raul has proved why I actually would dislike it, because the only alternative to worse keyboard usage is another type of track, and that thing won't ever be an average piano-roll.

and even in fl studio i have never really looked where those note bars stand, just listedened and corrected if a note was wrong.

so...the reason the piano roll isn't there is probably because it's indeed a f*cked up situation. so forget piano, forget roll. ;)

#53 danoise

danoise

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Renoise Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6419 posts
  • Interests:wildlife + urban trekking

Posted 23 May 2016 - 14:48

Yep, it's once we start thinking about the pianoroll as an editor (not just a visualization) that the implementation details become hairy.

But I won't believe for one second that it's impossible.

Or for that matter, that Renoise needs a pianoroll to attract more people  :D

Tracking with Stuff. API wishlist | Soundcloud

#54 The_Traveler

The_Traveler

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:Exploring timbrality ...

Posted 23 May 2016 - 15:34

Frankly, I just see a piano roll in Renoise as a simple note pitch and duration interface. A window pops up, you click and drag some notes into it and then revert back to the tracker interface for further note parameter mods in hex.  To me, the concept of trying to wrap up all the possible note parameters to edit in the PR, or at least the most important ones (and THAT would spark a discussion in itself I think) is futile. Not that it can't be done, but I wonder if the benefits of "attracting more people to tracking" outweighs the effort.

Cheers.

#55 Fsus4

Fsus4

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 23:47

I think most people would be perfectly happy with an integrated piano roll pop-up that just let you edit note pitch and note duration. For everything else (velocity, volume, etc) you would still need to edit alphanumerically in the pattern editor. Such pianoroll editor pop-up could be limited to a selection in a single track.

The limited pianoroll concept would not only serve as an editor and visualisation of notes, but could possibly also be taken further with new concepts and features to speed up the tracker workflow. For example, if I wanted to enter a Fsus4 chord in the pattern editor I'd just select it from a user definied list of "note entering macros".

My original point in suggesting that a Renoise with basic pianoroll features would attract more producers into tracking was that newcomers would have something familiar to start with. Having a limited pianoroll (as described above) would get people gradually going into "tracker-mode" as they could see directly how their editing of notes in "pianoroll mode" correlated to the alphanumerical version in the pattern editor.

However, if this is too much to ask and if it's such a difficult and time-consuming task for taktik or dblue or any other coder involved in Renoise development, then I'd agree it's not worth the effort. We might just as well try to convince other DAW builders to implement a tracker pattern editor to complement their pianorolls instead.

Edited by Fsus4, 25 May 2016 - 00:15.

• Raul (ulneiz) likes this

#56 4Tey

4Tey

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 07:13

In fact if you were to add a simple up/down/left/right mouse movement to one selected note in one column (notes shown in white) in MiniRoll :)

mini.png

Yes it is restrictive than a standard piano roll.  At that point what you have is a different GUI interface (where users can select a note in a column and restrictively drag it around a grid) to the pattern editor.  To me that's the stage you got to get to, before you try adding more advanced things.

Maybe programmers have weighed up the amount of programming involved (face it, it is heavy on the user interface/graphics side) to how useful even a simple restrictive 'Renoise tracker roll' would be :)

#57 Raul (ulneiz)

Raul (ulneiz)

• Normal Members
  • 1011 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 13:30

I'm thinking all the time how to implement this idea without consuming many resources. The interesting thing about this idea is not only easy editing, you basically need to place notes, time stretch and to edit several notes at once, similar to the tool joule. The ideal is to compare several tracks at a glance, while allowing compose "understanding the melody" (this is very very important for the composer). What can happen, and maybe that's why the pianoroll has detractors, is many do not require a "classification notes tool, perhaps by the style of music, no complicated melodies and stuff. What is indisputable is that this idea would be very useful for serious composers.

The Mode 1 & 2 is essentially the same way and at the same time the tracker (but sorting out the notes). You could call tracker mode. The other could be called piano mode:

1. "Tracker Mode" (which I called "Mode 1 & "Mode 2").
  2. "Piano Mode" (which I called "Mode 3", with the rectangles).

The idea must transmit at all times the visual ease of jumping of the Tracker Mode to Piano Mode and vice versa. The tracker Mode are the capacibility of compress and decompress the notes inside the track. The Piano Mode could compliance with this idea (insert in vertical inside each track). However, he could add a floating window, as Danoise says. This floating window could take another monitor or even 2 showing only one track or more, through an option. This will compare the eye tracker with the view of pianoroll, also. It should work fine with the issue of graphics resources. The performance is critical, a matter of weight that should not be taken lightly.

I insist on the primordial idea. It is neat for see the notes. Renoise lacks this and is the "main problem" of serious composer (you would like to see what is composing ordered for modifying tints). It is not add pianoroll wildly, but basically a simple tool to display the sorted notes in few octaves on the screen, and can easily edit without changing the essence of Renoise, integrated. Naturally, to implement no conceptual problem to add a zoom or add a piano expandable to 10 octaves. Everything is possible.

It is even exciting to imagine how far could Renoise with all these things. I'm pretty busy. If I have time will make more catches with the updated concept, just to see enjoy and discuss. This will show the beginning of the idea and its evolution.  ^_^

Edited by Raul, 25 May 2016 - 13:46.

• crazya02 likes this

:excl: Development of my tool: GT16-Colors

:excl: My API wishlist R3.1 (updated 24 July 2017):

Spoiler

:excl: My Renoise 3.1 wishlist (updated 26 September 2017):

Spoiler

#58 Raul (ulneiz)

Raul (ulneiz)

• Normal Members
  • 1011 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 14:01

I think most people would be perfectly happy with an integrated piano roll pop-up that just let you edit note pitch and note duration. For everything else (velocity, volume, etc) you would still need to edit alphanumerically in the pattern editor. Such pianoroll editor pop-up could be limited to a selection in a single track.

The limited pianoroll concept would not only serve as an editor and visualisation of notes, but could possibly also be taken further with new concepts and features to speed up the tracker workflow. For example, if I wanted to enter a Fsus4 chord in the pattern editor I'd just select it from a user definied list of "note entering macros".

It is gratifying to see that some users understand this idea or issue. I think it is worth the effort programming and serious graphics editing to make easier the life of the composer who loves Renoise, and realizes that it can grow and improve. It is understandable that developers, after 14 years are tired of Renoise (or not). But in the history of humanity, it would be very sad that Renoise not continue to evolve. He is a tracker, yes, but the Pattern Editor could be much more advanced, dragging on the way to other utilities (per example the Automation Editor) to be a more complete DAW.

Edited by Raul, 25 May 2016 - 14:04.

• Fsus4 likes this

Spoiler

Spoiler

#59 TheBellows

TheBellows

• Normal Members
  • 2384 posts
  • Interests:Jepp

Posted 25 May 2016 - 16:15

I think they have more than enough ideas and suggestions to pick from besides piano roll, i don't think you should worry about Renoise not evolving.

Personally i don't see any reason why i would want to use a piano roll, so i at least hope it won't get in the way of the traditional way of tracking. 

Instead of a piano roll i wish for a simple visual representation of the audio in a track while editing its pattern. It could take place of the track scopes/spectrum, simply showing the amplitude of the whole track with a grid line every beat or line depending on the size of the pattern.

Attached Images

• BeatScopemockup.gif

Edited by TheBellows, 25 May 2016 - 17:08.

• gimmeapill and emre_k like this

#60 Bungle

Bungle

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:53

I think they have more than enough ideas and suggestions to pick from besides piano roll, i don't think you should worry about Renoise not evolving.

Personally i don't see any reason why i would want to use a piano roll, so i at least hope it won't get in the way of the traditional way of tracking. 

Instead of a piano roll i wish for a simple visual representation of the audio in a track while editing its pattern. It could take place of the track scopes/spectrum, simply showing the amplitude of the whole track with a grid line every beat or line depending on the size of the pattern.

OK, has that got a beats and bar ruler above it, and add snapped/unsnapped select/copy/paste with mouse that is one shit hot idea !!!

Edited by Bungle, 26 May 2016 - 07:54.

Meh

#61 TheBellows

TheBellows

• Normal Members
  • 2384 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 10:10

OK, has that got a beats and bar ruler above it, and add snapped/unsnapped select/copy/paste with mouse that is one shit hot idea !!!

It of course need some kind of ruler/grid so it will be easy to see where in the pattern the audio is located. I was really just thinking about a visual thingy, but i wouldn't mind if it was editable as well.

#62 Raul (ulneiz)

Raul (ulneiz)

• Normal Members
  • 1011 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 12:16

Tried to script a stupid piano roll :badteeth: Personally I think a piano roll should be very compact and therefor something separate to the track editor. Anyway, fun and potentially useful stuff even when made this simple.

(This tool concept can be quite handy for other stuff as well, like quickly painting blocks or using the pattern editor as a mouse driven step sequencer. Sometimes a mouse is faster than a keyboard.)

Joule, can you share here your tool XRNX for "stupid piano roll"? I would like to study the code. I think it has little stupid!

Spoiler

Spoiler

#63 Mark2

Mark2

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 14:19

will the preview be a dry-preview? best-guess-wet-preview (guessing freerunning and external input)? mandatory preview = freeze?

#64 TheBellows

TheBellows

• Normal Members
  • 2384 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 16:12

It is gratifying to see that some users understand this idea or issue. I think it is worth the effort programming and serious graphics editing to make easier the life of the composer who loves Renoise, and realizes that it can grow and improve. It is understandable that developers, after 14 years are tired of Renoise (or not). But in the history of humanity, it would be very sad that Renoise not continue to evolve. He is a tracker, yes, but the Pattern Editor could be much more advanced, dragging on the way to other utilities (per example the Automation Editor) to be a more complete DAW.

Just a little addition to this train of thought: it would have been understandable that they were tired of Renoise if the case was that they had to keep adding features that they don't even like. It's no secret that taktik isn't very fond of Piano Rolls, so i imagine it wouldn't be very fun spending way too much time on improving a "failed concept". ;)

#65 oneunkind

oneunkind

Big Daddy Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Interests:the next space age

Posted 26 May 2016 - 19:54

California rolls are an interesting and fun alternative to sushi.  Surely,  pianos are tasty and cute, too? let's make them. yum!

• f+d+k likes this

"...sounds... but, not music..."

#66 ffx

ffx

• Normal Members
  • 2936 posts
  • Interests:macOS fanboying

Posted 02 June 2016 - 16:12

renoise-pianoroll.jpg

What about this ^^

1. Visualize note lengths in blocks instead with note-off. Draggable block instead only line and resizable.

2. Auto sort notes by note number / pitch. Even on dragging up/down.

3. Write the interval number of halfsteps to the note on the right. (Of course in hex for extra leetness and only max 1 octave to use one digit only)

4. Optionally define a base note for a pattern, so even the most left note shows an offset.

5. Shift-Dragging to left/right transposes the note and maybe sorts it.

IMO those two features (block + halfstep amount) would reflect everything good of a piano roll.

Edited by ffx, 28 July 2016 - 14:23.

• Denim and jesuzz like this

MacOS 10.12.6 Retina, Renoise 3.1 64 bit   -   Tuned Shortcuts | Multi-Jump From/To Send | Quick Template | Insert Native DSP Menu (incl. deprecated)

#67 Raul (ulneiz)

Raul (ulneiz)

• Normal Members
  • 1011 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:55

ffx, observe this: http://forum.renoise...ll/#entry318056

It seems that many users somehow agree on how to display the length of the note. The "Note OFF" is a headache including at the code level under the hood!

Renoise does not allow change the color of "Note OFF". I suppose. If all Notes are white, and the Note Off of another color, it would be very easy to identify.

In addition, it appears that the note OFF is used to mark, because there is nothing else. It would be great to have a "note" marking. Something like this ===

It also allows to do something that is absurd:

1. Select a "Note OFF"
  2. Copy (Ctrl+C)
  3. Paste below repeatedly jumping the line in the same track (Ctrl + V)
  4. The absurd: You can fill an entire track with Note OFFs to infinity and beyond. As I have understood, is not a bug. But I do not know why it exists.

All these things complicate change towards something like what you mention.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#68 danoise

danoise

• Renoise Team
  • 6419 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 13:01

You can fill an entire track with Note OFFs to infinity and beyond. As I have understood, is not a bug. But I do not know why it exists.

I often use this myself when looping segments or jumping between patterns. 

We have this option in the preferences which can specify if voices are releasing during pattern navigation. I always disable this and control it myself, using a combination of OFFs and matrix mutes.

It means that I can control exactly when & where notes are released  :ph34r:

1. Select a "Note OFF"
  2. Copy (Ctrl+C)
  3. Paste below repeatedly jumping the line in the same track (Ctrl + V)

Mm, another thing: you know continuous paste, right? (Ctrl+P)

#69 Raul (ulneiz)

Raul (ulneiz)

• Normal Members
  • 1011 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 13:19

I often use this myself when looping segments or jumping between patterns. 

We have this option in the preferences which can specify if voices are releasing during pattern navigation. I always disable this and control it myself, using a combination of OFFs and matrix mutes.

It means that I can control exactly when & where notes are released  :ph34r:

This is beyond my comprehension  :blush:  Have you an example XRNS that show?

Mm, another thing: you know continuous paste, right? (Ctrl+P)

Of course!  With Ctrl+V, the operation involves multiple times, that was the intention that brings him more absurd... If note-OFF has another useful function, I have never seen an example. 

I've sometimes used to mark a line within a track, but I wish there was a symbol (=== or similar) marking and not mix with the note-OFF. I use note-OFF because there is nothing else.

Edited by Raul, 03 June 2016 - 13:20.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#70 danoise

danoise

• Renoise Team
  • 6419 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 15:37

Have you an example XRNS that show?

Hm, I would have to shoot a video, because it's what you do with the song.  But let me try and explain. 

imagine a song which is intended to be played live? Sometimes you want to loop/extend patterns a little bit, depending on the situation. 

Now, the way Renoise works, looping a pattern means that voices that are triggered near the end of a pattern continue to play as the playback loops. 

So you can have a sound playing at the top, even if there was no such sound the first time playback reaches this pattern. 

But wait - perhaps I don't want the sound to play - maybe I want the pattern to sound like it did the first time? 

The only real way to do this is to insert an OFF at the top - something which otherwise doesn't make sense if you are just playing the song in a forward-going fashion. 

Btw: another cool "pattern looping" trick is to trigger notes with a Gxx command - this lets you trigger a note just once during looped playback. 

• Raul (ulneiz) likes this

#71 TheBellows

TheBellows

• Normal Members
  • 2384 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 16:22

1. The absurd: You can fill an entire track with Note OFFs to infinity and beyond. As I have understood, is not a bug. But I do not know why it exists.

This is definately not absurd, how else would you be able to write random offs? If you want some randomness to the lenght of a key you can easily do that with random offs using the y command, but if you were restricted to one off after a note it wouldn't have worked.

0ff   y5

0ff   y7
0ff   ya
0ff 

Edited by TheBellows, 03 June 2016 - 16:25.

#72 ffx

ffx

• Normal Members
  • 2936 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 16:26

Well, you could still be able to enter a note-off,only visually, it should be shown as a block.  If start is on previous pattern and a note-on in previous pattern, simply draw a block from top, but without a note inside.  If no note-on in previous pattern, draw an old-fashioned  "off" :)

MacOS 10.12.6 Retina, Renoise 3.1 64 bit   -   Tuned Shortcuts | Multi-Jump From/To Send | Quick Template | Insert Native DSP Menu (incl. deprecated)

#73 Raul (ulneiz)

Raul (ulneiz)

• Normal Members
  • 1011 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 17:22

This is normal? I ask only from curiosity.

===========

C-4  50

OFF

OFF

OFF

OFF

OFF Y5

OFF Y7

OFF 

OFF Y5

OFF

===========

This does not work?:

===========

C-4  50

...     Y5

...     Y7

...     Y5

OFF

===========

Spoiler

Spoiler

#74 Raul (ulneiz)

Raul (ulneiz)

• Normal Members
  • 1011 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 17:36

Well, you could still be able to enter a note-off,only visually, it should be shown as a block.  If start is on previous pattern and a note-on in previous pattern, simply draw a block from top, but without a note inside.  If no note-on in previous pattern, draw an old-fashioned  "off" :)

I think there will be graphical problems when treating OFF notes by the behavior they have, which is not strictly related to a current note.

By the way, look ... http://forum.renoise...ng/#entry337050 (Look at the last screenshot of the comment)... outdated idea:

01D-piano-horizontal.png

The Note-OFF need not disappear. But what about comments of Danoise and TheBellows? How to solve this graphically?

Spoiler

Spoiler

#75 ffx

ffx

• Normal Members
  • 2936 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 18:03

No, I simply had the best idea in the world, didn't you see? ^^

Intervals + blocks?  Isn't that what you're after in a piano-lol?    Doesn't matter if your eye count spaces between blocks or simply reads numbers, right?   maybe numbers are even faster, if you get used to it... So saving that ugly waste of space in a classical piano-lol.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pianoroll, piano roll, PR, Pattern Editor, Phrase Editor