New Tool (3.1): Segfault

Update (13 June 2016):6777 com.thunk.segfault.V.0.2.xrnx

Greetings, forum. I’m happy to announce Segfault V0.2

Here’s a quick gif of some of the new things you can expect in V0.2

A lot of work has gone into transforming Segfault from a rough proof of concept into the beginnings of a real workhorse tool.

Improvements include:

• A complete re-write, more or less
  • A fully collapsible/expandable dialog, displaying only the most relevant information
  • Intuitivity improvements in the behavior of segment insertion, deletion, linkage, conversion, vertical and horizontal offsetting, etc.
  • Segment linking/unlinking has been made explicit. It was implied in V0.1, but now it’s right out front.
  • Major dialog efficiency improvements
  • More settings, including separate Value and Tension offsets, hex/dec line number format and default resolution
  • A much improved README

While V0.1 was more stable than I anticipated, and V0.2 should be even more so, V0.2 is also bigger, which means more room for bugs to hide. So, if you manage to break it, please let me know how, so I can fix it!

Segfault is plug and play – no bindings or configuration necessary. So if you were on the fence about trying Segfault before, now is the time.

Segfault: Now a Real Thing™

Here’s the Quickstart section of the README, for convenience:

1. Quickstart

Segfault’s dialog is composed of collapsible subsections.

• Tip: Use keys ‘1’ through ‘5’ (keyboard, not numpad), to expand and collapse
    its subsections, and ‘F1’ to open this README.

With a parameter selected in the Automation pane and Segfault’s dialog open and
focused, you can press keys on the numpad and things will happen.

• Note: ‘numlock’ should be OFF for numpad keybindings to be recognized.

Use ‘numpad 4’ and ‘numpad 6’ (or ‘u’ and ‘o’) to move left and right.

Use ‘numpad 5’ (or ‘i’) to insert a segment.

Use ‘shift + numpad 5’ (or ‘shift + i’) to convert that segment to a Curve.

Use ‘numpad [7,8,9]’ and ‘numpad [1,2,3]’ (or ‘[7,8,9]’ and ‘[j,k,l]’) to move
endpoints up and down.

In general, hold ‘control’ for larger increments, and ‘shift’ for smaller.

And go from there.

There’s also a “virtual numpad” for those on laptops, etc. More on that below.

Click the ‘Keybindings’ button (or keyboard ‘5’) for a complete list of
Segfault’s built-in keybindings.

As usual, the most current information can be found in Segfault’s thread on the
forums at:

https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-3-1-segfault/46133

And any and all feedback is welcome!

Original Post (25 May 2016):6752 com.thunk.segfault.xrnx ← V0.1 (old); the newest version will always be up top

Segfault adds Hold and Tension Curve segments to Renoise’s Automation editor.

Here’s a gifof Segfault in action.

I hesitated before posting to this forum, because this tool is on the bloodiest of edges and there WILL be bugs that may result in technical discussions more appropriate for the “Tec: Scripting API Development Q&A” forum.

If that is the case, mods: please just move this thread over here.

However, it is a “New XRNX Tool” that I am “Announcing”, and it works, so it can’t be too outside the scope of this forum.

So download and install it if you want, open up the dialog in the Tools menu, have a look at the README section. Bang away on the numpad (or included “virtual numpad” for those on laptops, etc.), and lemme know what you think!

I figured I’d take the high road and modify the title with “Updated 6/13/2016”, rather than self-bump. But it turns out that changes the permalink, which I don’t want to do.

So, I’ve reverted to the low-road, as this is a bump-worthy update, and I need feedback if Segfault is to improve.

Bumpty-dumpty!

Wow, great update.

Gave a it quick spin and it all seems to work fine here :slight_smile:

I love the fact that I don’t have to map all the shortcuts - first thing I did was to find the ‘Toggle Seqfault dialog’ and that’s all I needed.

But - a small feature suggestion - how about passing unhandled keyboard shortcuts from the dialog to Renoise?

This would allow something like moving from pattern to pattern or track to track while staying focused on the tool.

Wow, great update.

Gave a it quick spin and it all seems to work fine here :slight_smile:

I love the fact that I don’t have to map all the shortcuts - first thing I did was to find the ‘Toggle Seqfault dialog’ and that’s all I needed.

But - a small feature suggestion - how about passing unhandled keyboard shortcuts from the dialog to Renoise?

This would allow something like moving from pattern to pattern or track to track while staying focused on the tool.

Thanks, danoise!

Hrm. The key_handler does currently pass unhandled shortcuts back to Renoise. I wonder what’s getting in the way? I’ll look into it.

My first thought is that one or more of Segfault’s built-in bindings is masking your global prev/next pattern/track shortcuts.

If that’s the case, you can modify the offending shortcuts in ‘commands.lua’ for the time being. (editable shortcuts are coming in a later release)

Another possibility is modifying the “Value Offset” or “Tension Offset” value fields has broken the dialog key_handler. I’m not sure how to fix this (edit: this might actually be a bug in the ViewBuilder). But toggling or de/refocusing the dialog is a workaround, for now.