Calf plugins in Renoise as DSSI and LADSP

Hi

​Ive been running Calf effects/plugins with Renoise as both DSSI and LADSP for months without any issue. A few days ago Calf vanished from the Renoise plugins list, but my other DSSIs and LADSP`s are still present.

​System information:

• ​Fedora 23 (64 bit) Linux
  • ​Renoise 3.1.0 (64 bit)
  • ​calf-0.0.60-3.fc23.x86_64
  • ​​ladspa-calf-plugins-0.0.60-3.fc23.x86_64
  • dssi-calf-plugins-0.0.60-3.fc23.x86_64

​Here`s the sections in the log file related to DSSI and LADPS:

LADSPA: LADSPA_PATH environment variable not set. Using '/usr/lib[64]/ladspa:/usr/local/lib[64]/ladspa:~/.ladspa'...

Audio Plugins: Skipping LADSPA plugin path '/usr/lib/ladspa/' (Directory does not exist)...
Audio Plugins: Searching for LADSPA plugins in '/usr/lib64/ladspa/'
Audio Plugins: Skipping LADSPA plugin path '/usr/local/lib/ladspa/' (Directory does not exist)...
Audio Plugins: Skipping LADSPA plugin path '/usr/local/lib64/ladspa/' (Directory does not exist)...
Audio Plugins: Skipping LADSPA plugin path '/home/mikis/.ladspa/' (Directory does not exist)...

LADSPA: Scanning '/usr/lib64/ladspa/calf.so'...
LADSPA: Scanning '/usr/lib64/ladspa/valve_1209.so'...
LADSPA: Scanning '/usr/lib64/ladspa/valve_rect_1405.so'...
LADSPA: Scanning '/usr/lib64/ladspa/vco_sawpulse.so'...
LADSPA: Scanning '/usr/lib64/ladspa/vynil_1905.so'...
LADSPA: Scanning '/usr/lib64/ladspa/wave_terrain_1412.so'...
LADSPA: Scanning '/usr/lib64/ladspa/xfade_1915.so'...
LADSPA: Scanning '/usr/lib64/ladspa/zm1_1428.so'...

DSSI: DSSI_PATH environment variable not set. Using '/usr/lib[64]/dssi:/usr/local/lib[64]/dssi:~/.dssi'...

Audio Plugins: Skipping DSSI plugin path '/usr/lib/dssi/' (Directory does not exist)...
Audio Plugins: Searching for DSSI plugins in '/usr/lib64/dssi/'
Audio Plugins: Skipping DSSI plugin path '/usr/local/lib/dssi/' (Directory does not exist)...
Audio Plugins: Skipping DSSI plugin path '/usr/local/lib64/dssi/' (Directory does not exist)...
Audio Plugins: Skipping DSSI plugin path '/home/mikis/.dssi/' (Directory does not exist)...

DSSI: Scanning '/usr/lib64/dssi/calf.so'...
DSSI: Instantiate FAILED (DLL is no DSSI Plug)          
DSSI: Scanning '/usr/lib64/dssi/fluidsynth-dssi.so'...
DSSI: Scanning '/usr/lib64/dssi/hexter.so'...
DSSI: Scanning '/usr/lib64/dssi/karplong.so'...
DSSI: Scanning '/usr/lib64/dssi/less_trivial_synth.so'...
DSSI: Scanning '/usr/lib64/dssi/libzynaddsubfx_dssi.so'...
DSSI: Scanning '/usr/lib64/dssi/nekobee.so'...
DSSI: Scanning '/usr/lib64/dssi/trivial_sampler.so'...
DSSI: Scanning '/usr/lib64/dssi/trivial_synth.so'...
DSSI: Scanning '/usr/lib64/dssi/whysynth.so'...
DSSI: Scanning '/usr/lib64/dssi/xsynth-dssi.so'...

​As you can see CALF is scanned by both DSSI and LADSP like the other effects, but is not present in the list of plugins.

If I open a xrns file that uses CALF as a plugin i get the message:

​​The following plugins could not be found or failed to open:
​Track 04 (Soulpride): "DSSI: Calf Vintage Delay DSSI"

I`ve reinstalled the CALF plugins without any effect.

​Has anyone experienced this issue?

​Any input is appreciated.

​Best regards,

​Michael

I found the answer in this topic:

https://forum.renoise.com/t/calf-plugins/43426

The Calf package must have been upgraded last time I updated my system with dnf / yum. Downgraded Calf to version 0.0.19-8. and Renoise could see the plugins again!

That’s the whole problem: Calf upstream nowadays only supports LV2. Downgrading is unlikely to help in the long run.

So for the latest Calf, in Renoise you need LV2 support (but don’t count too much on this either).

Another workaround: use FalkTX’s Carla plugin host which can be loaded itself as a LinuxVST.

You’ll need the latest beta version for this - I don’t think you will find it in Fedora packages: https://github.com/falkTX/Carla/

That’s the whole problem: Calf upstream nowadays only supports LV2. Downgrading is unlikely to help in the long run.

So for the latest Calf, in Renoise you need LV2 support (but don’t count too much on this either).

Another workaround: use FalkTX’s Carla plugin host which can be loaded itself as a LinuxVST.

You’ll need the latest beta version for this - I don’t think you will find it in Fedora packages: https://github.com/falkTX/Carla/

​Yes, I agree that downgrading is no long term solution, but at least I can finish my ongoing projects :slight_smile:

​​Thanks for the information about Carla, looks promising. I`ll compile it from source and check it out.