'Step Length Used in Pattern Editor' > 64

Would it be possible to make this open-ended, and get past the apparent limitation of 64?

thx

Above the line numbers (top left corner of the pattern editor) there is a value box where you can change the number of pattern lines to maximum 512.

I thought mrblitz was talking about the step length box joule that has a limit of 64?

What kind of wild and crazy tracker stuff are you doing that requires more than 64 edit step?! :panic: :w00t: :clownstep: :badteethslayer: :yeah: :drummer: :blink:

(Probably just something boring like quickly filling patterns with notes to trigger long samples, but it’s fun to imagine some totally insane breakcore running at 256 LPB!)

^_^I do not usually use a large number of lines.But yes, the value of 96instead of 64 for each pattern.However, do crazy things at breakneck speed is not my style…It seems crazy to use more than 64 steps length, not more than 8 or 16 steps length for me.

To use 64 steps length are needed 128 lines per pattern, at least (and only perform one jump).I find it very beast, nor I had imagined!

A face velocity icon Foul!!!

sometimes i like to put in a little riff, like say a 16th note, ‘e-d-c’ in an ‘a minor’ piece… and a quick way to do it would be with a giant step length. say, set it to 132, and go to the beginning of a piece, and lay on the ‘/’ (‘e’) key. ok, then scroll back to the first instance of that in the piece, and lay on the ‘.’ (‘d’) key, but 3 lines further ‘south’. i’m using 96 lines (2 measures of 48 each) so in this example the interval would be a 16th note or 3 lines. anyway, then go back to the beginning again, and start another 3 lines down, and lay on the , (‘c’) key for the duration of the piece. in this example, the 132 is like ‘11 beats’ (each beat being 12 lines). the existing 64-line limitation puts a constraint upon this. in this case i could set it to 44, and only hit a note every 3rd time (while hitting delete 2 out of 3 times), for a total of 132, but it requires more concentration, particularly if there are already existing notes in the column; at which point it really becomes somewhat of a bugbear (ymmv).

another thing is for instance in programming kick or snare. it’s fun to establish these grooves that are asymmetrical. it’s easier to do this if the step length can be greater than 64. with the 64-line limit, i take a piece of scratch paper and write down some intervals within a number less than 64. same i’m again in ‘straight 4s’ (3-line 16ths) and not a ‘shuffle/swing’ (4-line ‘16ths’). maybe i’ll make the ‘groove cycle’ for a snare for instance, 42 lines. on scratch paper i’ll write down a series of intervals which add up to 42 lines… say:

you know, nothing ‘too weird’ in this example. every hit falling within a 16th note frame.

for example. then, i can go to the start of the piece, set the step line to 42, and just lay on a snare note. then, go back (in this example) and start 9 lines further down, and lay on the snare again. then lather rinse repeat until this list of intervals is filled in.

this can be done on any of the parts (even melody/bass), but mainly i experiment with it on kick/snare/hats. sometimes, i’ll go back afterwards, and say, in the kick part, lay on the kick at 24 lines, on the 1 and 3 beats. so the kick happening on 1 and 3 can give one of these ‘oblong groove’ shapes a ‘foundation’

anyway, i find that the 64 line thing is kind of a buzzkill in this regard. ymmv

cheers!