OSX: Renoise stops responding after sleep with sound over HDMI

I am having a problem with Renoise where many things stop responding. Pressing the space bar won’t play the song, pressing the play button won’t play the song. I can’t scroll up and down using the mouse wheel or by grabbing the scroll bar. I can do some things like change instruments and turn specific tracks on and off. Pressing record or escape both seem to work in that I get the red outline. But no sounds come out when I press on the keyboard and notes aren’t recorded either. Loading another song doesn’t fix it I have to shut down Renoise and open it back up again. I don’t know what makes this happen but after being away from my computer for awhile I will return to find it in this state.

What OS do you use? What renoise version?
Maybe you’re using a buggy plugin which is causing memory leaks.

I’m on Max OS X 10.10.4 and Renoise 64 bit V3.1.0. I tested your idea about a buggy plugin last night. Before I went to bed I started up Renoise fresh and with just an empty new song with no plugins loaded and when I woke up this morning it was in the condition I described in my first post.

So your issue happens when renoise is running a long time? Does the memory usage increase during this time? Does this happen with the 32bit version, too?

Maybe renoise itself have a memory leak on osx.

I’ve witnessed something similar on windows if I’d have another (music)program opened at the same time, locking the soundcard, I think this is only the case with asio drivers. What are your soundcard settings?

So your issue happens when renoise is running a long time? Does the memory usage increase during this time? Does this happen with the 32bit version, too?

Maybe renoise itself have a memory leak on osx.

I only notice this happening after I come back to my computer after being away for awhile. I checked the memory used by Renoise before I went to bed and after I woke up (and Renoise was all messed up) and it had increased by only a couple mb so I don’t think it is a memory problem. My computer also had plenty of memory available. I haven’t used the 32 bit version and would rather stick with the 64 bit version but I guess it is something to consider testing.

I’ve witnessed something similar on windows if I’d have another (music)program opened at the same time, locking the soundcard, I think this is only the case with asio drivers. What are your soundcard settings?

Hmm, I’m not sure what soundcard settings you are referring to. Things configured within Renoise or some settings in OS X?

I discovered what causes it; when I turn off my monitor and back on it does it. That is why it seemed like it happens after awhile, because at night I turn the monitor off and turn it back on in the morning. But I can open Renoise, turn off my monitor, and turn it back on a few seconds later and Renoise will be messed up so I can make it happen any time I want.

I discovered what causes it; when I turn off my monitor and back on it does it.

Huh - what is so special about that monitor? Seems like a very strange issue to me.

I discovered what causes it; when I turn off my monitor and back on it does it.

Do you have your system set to enter sleep/hiberation mode when it’s idle, or when the display is turned off?

Huh - what is so special about that monitor? Seems like a very strange issue to me.

Well maybe it is because the monitor is also the audio out; I am running the audio from the computer to the monitor through the hdmi cable.

Do you have your system set to enter sleep/hiberation mode when it’s idle, or when the display is turned off?

No I have those modes disabled.