Renoise as rewire slave: Ability to control instruments via master DAW

Sorry if this has been requested before. I searched the forums and the only relevant topic was this one. I also searched this awesome thread (thanks to danoise) and didn’t find it, but if any of the midi-related suggestions would make this possible as a side-effect then I’m sorry :slight_smile:

As rewire makes it possible to transfer audio signal and midi data between master and slave, it’s a pity that the powerful instruments of renoise cannot be controlled via rewire master DAW, the fact I found out yesterday while trying to find renoise instruments in the list of master DAW’s midi outputs and didn’t see any. I read in the topic mentioned above that t his is a result of renoise not supporting multiple midi inputs, so I guess implementing this might not only solve this issue, but make renoise able to communicate with many other midi devices more efficiently as well.

Edit: My bad. Renoise does support choosing different midi input channels for instruments and plugins (under the midi tab), so this can’t be the problem. This makes it even more weird though, why renoise instruments cannot be controlled via rewire master then?

I thought the same , untill danoise corrected me .

Renoise is capable of selecting diferent midi input channels for instruments /vsts …verry weird that I have overlooked this feature since it came out .

Anyway , doing this trough rewire seems to be something different , you need an internal midi lloopback/router , don’t ask me why .

Could someone test this : control different instrument from a hardware sequencer , using renoise as a vst host .

Miditab page–input device --channel

I thought the same , untill danoise corrected me .
Renoise is capable of selecting diferent midi input channels for instruments /vsts …verry weird that I have overlooked this feature since it came out .
Anyway , doing this trough rewire seems to be something different , you need an internal midi lloopback/router , don’t ask me why.

Well, this makes it even more weird then! Why can’t rewire master control renoise instruments? I have used internal midi routers, they do the job, but not satisfyingly, every now and then I can feel the delay these internal routers cause, in contrary to the perfectly synced rewire. Besides, why would we have to use these when rewire itself enables midi data transfer between master and slave?

Well, this makes it even more weird then! Why can’t rewire master control renoise instruments? I have used internal midi routers, they do the job, but not satisfyingly, every now and then I can feel the delay these internal routers cause, in contrary to the perfectly synced rewire. Besides, why would we have to use these when rewire itself enables midi data transfer between master and slave?

Currently I don’t have a hardware sequencer to test if renoise (instruments ) can handle multiple midi input channels , but I assume it can .

Only have a nord modular G1 that sends on only 1 channel .

Maybe taktik can chime in and explain why Renoise needs a workaround as opposed to Reason ., concerning the rewire slave issue

Currently I don’t have a hardware sequencer to test if renoise (instruments ) can handle multiple midi input channels , but I assume it can .
Only have a nord modular G1 that sends on only 1 channel.

My midi controller can send midi data through different channels, and I just checked: renoise can handle multiple channels perfectly. I loaded a bunch of instruments, assigned a different input channel to each in midi tab, and I can send midi through each channel to the corresponding instrument no matter which one is active in instrument editor. Using ‘Start Note’ and ‘End Note’ just below ‘Channel’, I can even create very nice split keyboard on my midi controller. Awesome!

Maybe taktik can chime in and explain why Renoise needs a workaround as opposed to Reason ., concerning the rewire slave issue

Yes! Please.

I’m trying the same ATM with reaper as a master and renoise as slave, only works with virtual loopback midi cables. Funny thing is, the other way around, renoise as master and reaper as slave, everything works out of the box.

I’m trying the same ATM with reaper as a master and renoise as slave, only works with virtual loopback midi cables. Funny thing is, the other way around, renoise as master and reaper as slave, everything works out of the box.

Is there an official answer on this?

bummmpp :slight_smile: