Track Active/Off cannot be mapped using midi mapping trigger mode

When I map pre-mixer device’s Active/Off buttons to a key on my midi controller, the “trigger” mapping mode does not work. Gate and Value modes work as they should. The trigger mode works fine with any other on/off toggle though, like dsps’ enable/bypass checkboxes.

Is this a bug? Or am I missing something here?

When I map pre-mixer device’s Active/Off buttons to a key on my midi controller, the “trigger” mapping mode does not work.

I quickly tried mapping to track and device on/off switches, and they seem to behave the same way.

Don’t forget that you need to press above the middle threshold, which for a piano key translates to a medium-to-hard press (velocity above 64).

Perhaps you can change the velocity response for the keyboard, or use a tool like xRules to reinterpret the velocity response. Or simply use buttons instead.

I quickly tried mapping to track and device on/off switches, and they seem to behave the same way.
Don’t forget that you need to press above the middle threshold, which for a piano key translates to a medium-to-hard press (velocity above 64).

Perhaps you can change the velocity response for the keyboard, or use a tool like xRules to reinterpret the velocity response. Or simply use buttons instead.

Just fixed the velocity response of the midi keyboard to max (127), still the problem exists. Trigger mode works fine for all toggle switches, except track Active/Off. It’s a strange thing! Gate mode works fine with the very same Active/Off toggle. I also fixed velocity below 64, still the same.

Renoise 3.1 on Win7 x64, M-Audio Oxygen49 MKIV, if relevant.

Strange, pretty much same configuration here…

What if you use the MIDI mapping dialog directly: Track Muting > Mute/Unmute > Track XX [toggle] ?

The various UI elements: track DSP “active/off/mute” switch, mixer “M” button, and scopes should all point here…

What if you use the MIDI mapping dialog directly: Track Muting > Mute/Unmute > Track XX [toggle] ?

Thanks for the helpful tip danoise, now I understand what the problem is.

When I use the mapping dialog directly, there are two options for Track Muting > Mute/Unmute > Current Track (as there are for many other items as well): [Toggle] and [Set]. When I choose [Toggle], trigger mode works fine, but when I choose [Set], trigger mapping mode doesn’t do anything. I am not sure if this is the way it should be or not though.

When user wants to map track’s Active/Off by clicking on the buttons, renoise chooses the [set] mode (as can be seen in the dialog but I overlooked this everytime), this is why trigger mapping mode does not work, at least for me. I checked some other buttons like Play, Stop, Metronome, Edit, etc. and the same problem exists, [set] mode is chosen by renoise each time and as a result, Trigger mode does not work.

The other strange thing that I found is that when I choose Current Track [Toggle] from the dialog, Gate mapping mode works exactly as Trigger. This is the same for other buttons as well. Again I can’t understand if this is the way things should work or not. For me this is how different mapping modes behave:

[TOGGLE]
Trigger: OK
Gate: works exactly as trigger
Value: works as trigger mode for velocities > 64, nothing happens for values <= 64

[SET]
Trigger: does not work
Gate: OK
Value: OK

Using the dialog solved the problem for me anyway, but I would be very thankful if you help me understand how these settings are supposed to work. I also think I might have been confused the meaning of Gate with Trigger, after so many tries and errors while mapping.

edit: As I mentioned in earlier posts, all the three modes work fine for DSPs’ Enable/Bypass buttons and there is only one option for them in the mapping dialog (no Toggle/Set options).