New 'tool' 16 harmonic additive synth

It’s a wavetable based 16 harmonic additive synth that works with the supplied instrument, and supports clipping.

Access the menu entry by right-clicking the sample waveform.

I was running through my script folder and noticed i never shared it.

It’s a wavetable based 16 harmonic additive synth that works with the supplied instrument , and supports clipping.

So it doesn’t work with any sampled instrument, that’d explains this notice running it on a short loop;

‘C:\Users\pluge\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.1.0\Scripts\Tools\tblr.tools.Additive_synth_pone.xrnx\main.lua’ failed in one of its notifiers.

Please contact the author (tblr | tblr@tblr.tblr) for assistance…

std::logic_error: ‘invalid frame index ‘169’. valid values are (1 to 168).’

stack traceback:

[C]: in function ‘set_sample_data’

main.lua:50: in function ‘finalise_t’

main.lua:60: in function ‘transform_phase_table’

main.lua:69: in function ‘transform_amp_table’

main.lua:134: in function main.lua:132

It only works with the supplied instrument. If there is a demand, and if someone can tell me how to generate clean sines at any frequency and sample rate (I forgot how I did it) I can remove that limitation (if i remember correctly 384 sample frames was the lowest i could get without aliasing on the 16th harmonic) and add a bit of scripting possibilities too.

Although I keep getting the notice when trying it on a hand drawn sample, the sound does seem to be affected through the tool somehow.

edit; the waveform in the sample editor however remains the same shape, if you select another instrument then back again the waveform is updated.

It needs 384 sample frames to work. The speed in lua can only be achieved if there are no calculations involved, hence the use of a wavetable.

It overwrites those 384 sampels each time, simply adding each harmonic’s wavetable to the sample.

example:

@gova I don’t see this tool here, is there any way it could be made available to download again?

tblr.tools.Additive_synth_pone.xrnx (10.0 KB)

here you go

Thank you!

@gova Is there any way this could be turned into a modulated tool? Holy cow, if this could have the ability to have an LFO or Envelope change the slider’s position, this could be used in all sorts of ways. The very first thing I thought of is how many neat ambient sounds I could pull from this. The shifting tones would be beautiful!

Better just get a vst.

1 Like

I get your point, but no thanks! I really dislike plugins. That being said, I do understand. Renoise is great on it’s own and I will go without plugins. Curious to know, though, could you make your additive plugin open source? Also, since I am not a programmer and if this is already open source, pay me no nevermind :slightly_smiling_face: Thank you for making it in the first place!

1 Like

Heh, renoise tools are lua files, that’s what gets installed, every tool is open source if you don’t ask and borrow the code, but there’s nothing worth borrowing here, it’s 16 samples getting mixed together, just a simple processing-fee method

Well, here’s a question then - if I were to make my own samples with the harmonic structure of additive synthesis (I know they’re different samples, there’s math involved) - would I be able to make a simplified version with a Doofer and access to 8 samples, and just use the devices non-programmers have handy to make it sound like yours?

I mean, I’ve got a feeling that there’s more involved in this. The sound is just too good.

yes, the math involved is " + ", so just adjust the gain, the phase shifting is a delay in well under a millisecond, 1 sample frame long in the tool

Thank you! I’m going to construct this today, and see if works. May I run it past you, once I’ve got something working?

sure

Yep, got it! It’s a rudimentary tool, made an ambient hum generator, pretty much. 8 samples’ volumes swept by 8 LFOs at different timing to give a flowing sound.

Micro-Additive Pad Engine.xrns (12.7 KB)