Sending Sysex Data to a Hardware Synth (Casio CZ-5000)

Hi all,

I’m getting into using hardware synths with Renoise (just for fun) and I’ve hit a bit of a road block in terms of sending instrument data from Renoise to my synths. I have a Casio CZ-5000 synth and can control it via midi for note data and which program to play, etc. However, I have a few thousand sysex patch files that I want to try out and can’t get any of the Renoise tools out there to send them properly to the synth.

Guru seems like a great tool, but sadly the CZ series is not supported yet. The only other option is sysex librarian, which seems to work, except, the CZ-5000 sound doesn’t change when I send the sysex file to it. I see the sysex matrix of data appear in the MIDI out panel in Renoise and definitely have the CZ selected since it responds to note data and program/bank changes. I also tried sending the sysex data with the various different modes on the CZ turned on (solo, midi, mt and cartridge mode), but no luck.

Any idea what I’m doing wrong? Is there another way to try and send Sysex data to a synth? I’m going to be trying my Roland D-50 next…

Thanks,

-Brendan

You can convert SYX files to MIDI files which presumably could be put on a track in Renoise and routed to the synth, but I don’t know if Renoise would strip the necessary data out of them or not. I know the D-50 accepts patch data that way, but I haven’t tried it in Renoise (I use D50v and a virtual MIDI cable instead, never thought to try sending a SYX converted to MIDI till now, might try it tonight.)

MIDI-OX is good for converting SYX to MID, I’m sure there are other tools out there.