MS20MSTR

Had a blast making this one - revised my workflow recently by setting up a template track with all my favorite synths/etc. pre-loaded. Has dramatically improved creative output/speed - would highly recommend this to anyone who hasn’t done this already (kind of inspired by Aphex mentioning his workflow and indicating that he has different rooms that are different “studios” each with their own preferred setups):

https://soundcloud.com/thecytha/m20mastah

I like the drums that come in at about the 2 minute mark, seems to sit best with the mix but thats just first impressions and just my opinion. Interesting track. The template idea is a good one. Though for me, I really like the unpredictability of random selection. I do however have some of my faves bookmarked and have also found renaming stuff to indicate it sound is also a good help. Glad you had a blast making it, that’s what it’s all about i reckon!

Cheers Abissus! Yeah, I feel like. . . not worrying so much about end product is such a freeing thing (but difficult to do - for me at any rate). Best things seem to come when just enjoying.

The template thing - yeah, I hear you - everyone’s workflow is different, right? For me, I finally realized that I spent so much time like, EVERY TRACK, loading up essentially the same 5-6 base VST’s that it made more sense to put the work in up front. . .

Would be kind of cool if there was a “randomizer” template yeah? Like, you’d load up Renoise and get 6-7 random VST’s loaded up with random sounds. . . dashes to the request forums :stuck_out_tongue:

Indeed. Enjoying the creative process is the most important imo. I totally agree that the best stuff usually comes when you are enjoying it.

Any way you can improve your workflow is a good thing. the quicker you can get ideas down, the less chance it has on impacting creativity.

Interesting Idea with the randomizer template, that could be something I use too.

I think perhaps you have filter shaved off a little too much here and there, but apart from that sounds great! :slight_smile:

Ahhh, thanks m8! I quite appreciate that, particularly from someone who I feel has an incredibly tight control over their sound. Also appreciate the feedback re: filters - inspires me to go back and do a little more refining. Thanks again!

Ahhh, thanks m8! I quite appreciate that, particularly from someone who I feel has an incredibly tight control over their sound. Also appreciate the feedback re: filters - inspires me to go back and do a little more refining. Thanks again!

Well to be honest i don’t feel all that confident about my sound really, the things i put on my SC is sometimes just embarrassing. Sometimes it works, sometimes it’s a trainwreck, it’s just music though, i do it mostly just for fun. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks anyhow for the confidence though, must mean i do something right now and then. :slight_smile:

I also tried making a “template” thingy many times similar to what you mentioned, but i usually end up tweaking so much it suddenly has nothing to do with the initial setup. I usually now open up a temlate i made on every new track, but with no instruments as i kinda like the feeling of having blank sheets. :slight_smile: