HOw are redux sales figures ?

I am really interested in these, not the exact figures of course ,but did it sell well or not .?

You guys put a lot of effort in it , was it worth it ?

My crystal balls says well

Redux is not a ‘flavor of the week’ type software, so I would say yes to that.

It’s around for the long haul.

I read that as :’ Not too bad …but hoping that sales will increase …in the long run ’

Personally i go by two things when it comes to instrument plugin popularity…

1 Are people talking about it

2 Are 3rd parties creating commercial content for it

1 No there is little to no talk about Redux anywhere but here, and this is a very small niche community

2 There is little to no commercial content being made for it by 3rd parties

So from that (And obviously with no sales figures, that they would never release anyway, why should they) no, Redux was not a particularly popular plugin and still is not, but then Renoise is not a particularly popular host, so expect the same slow pace of development, but ultimately it is still working and gets updates, so from our point of view all good, for now at least.

Though could “easily” compete with flagships like kontakt or even mach5, if oscs were added. And even now could get a huge user base, if marketing was done and maybe naming better indicating a full sampler vsti instead a reduction of something :stuck_out_tongue: I mean not to emphasize nerd style tracker capabilities too much, instead focusing on all these solid sampler features and the outstanding gui… just my two cents.

Personally i go by two things when it comes to instrument plugin popularity…

1 Are people talking about it

2 Are 3rd parties creating commercial content for it

1 No there is little to no talk about Redux anywhere but here, and this is a very small niche community

2 There is little to no commercial content being made for it by 3rd parties

So from that (And obviously with no sales figures, that they would never release anyway, why should they) no, Redux was not a particularly popular plugin and still is not, but then Renoise is not a particularly popular host, so expect the same slow pace of development, but ultimately it is still working and gets updates, so from our point of view all good, for now at least.

I know at least Drumdrops releases xrni’s and hopefully it will become an accepted standard format for other companies too.

Though could “easily” compete with flagships like kontakt or even mach5

Well, to be fair, a couple of large features needs to be implemented before this would be realistic. Most importantly, disk streaming - this makes those multi-gigabyte instruments a no-go.

I’m sure a couple of people havediscovered this, perhaps expecting that Redux did support this feature. But, equally important, the soundware business often deal with incredibly detailed samplings because that’s exactlywhat can set their productions apart from what you can realistically create yourself. And that explains why Redux is not a top priority when these package and market such packs.

Also, I think any good Redux instrument is made from more than a bunch of samples. It takes dedication to craft sounds that take advantage of all the features (modulation, phrases, effects) that it has to offer. Basically, it’s a different kind of beast?

Well, to be fair, a couple of large features needs to be implemented before this would be realistic. Most importantly, disk streaming - this makes those multi-gigabyte instruments a no-go.
I’m sure a couple of people havediscovered this, perhaps expecting that Redux did support this feature. But, equally important, the soundware business often deal with incredibly detailed samplings because that’s exactlywhat can set their productions apart from what you can realistically create yourself. And that explains why Redux is not a top priority when these package and market such packs.

Also, I think any good Redux instrument is made from more than a bunch of samples. It takes dedication to craft sounds that take advantage of all the features (modulation, phrases, effects) that it has to offer. Basically, it’s a different kind of beast?

I just believe it could become more attractive to more people, if supporting those “standard” features like streaming, because there are features already in it which Imo are already better than in Kontakt etc. BTW did you try mach5 once, it is quite impressive, seems to be the father of uvi falcon.

Comparing Redux to Kontakt and Mach Five? Really???

It will not get more popular with people, because…well, tracker-interface, duh.

Now you can argue against this as long and as much as you want, but it’s not going to happen.

And you know what? That’s still very okay, you know…

Who gives a flying f*** about sales figures and what is popular and what is not.

It is either working for you or it isn’t.

because…well, tracker-interface, duh.

Bullshit. The tracker interface is just one feature here, Kontakt and mach5 have NO interface for notes… Also the Redux gui is WAY better than the ancient motu or crap interface of Kontakt.

Comparing Redux to Kontakt and Mach Five? Really???

It will not get more popular with people, because…well, tracker-interface, duh.

Now you can argue against this as long and as much as you want, but it’s not going to happen.

And you know what? That’s still very okay, you know…

Who gives a flying f*** about sales figures and what is popular and what is not.

It is either working for you or it isn’t.

Someone told me, never say never. On Commodore 64 tracker interface was the way to go. We continuously see that things from the past becomes hip again.

A few years ago you couldn’t do professional productions without Pro Tools and today it’s going down the drain. Not long ago Cubase would top the list over best DAWs, but today it’s far down the list in the typical “Top DAW” lists. Analog synths has become the new thing and LPs are getting increasingly more popular.

The way the world works today i’d say it only takes one extremely famous person mentioning Renoise/Redux once in the right setting and you would have the ball rolling. People are like sheep, they follow blindly whatever their leader (read: idol) does. This is why famous people are being used in commercials, a company wouldn’t pay millions of dollars to get a famous person promote their product if it didn’t work. I wouldn’t say that’s the way to go for Renoise, but let’s say, even though as unlikely, i would become famous for my music, then i would definately use my fame to promote my favorite DAW. I bet when it became known that Venetian Snares was using Renoise i bet it was noticeable in the sales.

Have some faith, things aren’t hopeless, never give up!

For me i have a huge interest in Renoise being able to survive on the market and i’d hate to see the day if Renoise had to shut down because of financial problems. :panic:

Indeed comparing redux to mach five ( engines developed by uvi ) and algoritms licensed from IRCAM …is totally crazy ,and that’s not because of the tracker interface but because of the quality algoritms that are used .

Two totally different programs , which both do sampling …but that’s it .

You’ll need a lot of bucks to license algo’s from IRCAM .

Check out uvi’s falcon …it’s a f…g synth/sampler powerhouse

@ TL boY …slow down …renoise works obiously for allof us here on the forum , more redux sales means more exposure for renoise .

It’s unfortunate in a way but most people, maybe all of us, are basically trained to respond to a certain kind of marketing and cache. If Deadmau5 tomorrow said in an interview, “I use Redux now, it’s all I use and it’s the best”, there would be a more or less guaranteed and significant lift in sales for a period afterward. And then they’d all show up here confused, not knowing WTH a tracker is and we’d have to answer all their questions.

I think Redux is finding its niche organically much as Renoise has and other products by other companies with a similar approach (e.g., Cockos with Reaper). For the foreseeable future, content for it is going to depend on the user base releasing decent stuff for free.

To that end, I’ve been working (slowly) on a ~300mb library I think I’ll call “The MIDI 90s” because it’s very '88-'98 house oriented and very synthy. Anyway I’m doing it for fun but also taking it seriously enough to make sure it’s a very good, solid (but still free) library people can use in production. It’ll have a bunch of classic synths (MKS-70, Jupiter 8, Prophet 5 and 10, more), mostly sampled note by note, usually with very good gear; old '90s sampler stuff from my own DJ days way back in the mists of time. It’ll have a good 303 emu based on the Diode-03 Renoise instrument but using actual 303 samples and what I hope is a more “realistic”-sounding mod/fx setup; lots of other stuff.

Not like you need a bunch of old gear, though, you could make up a kickass library with decent softsynths or single-cycle waves from AdventureKid or wherever, and some free time. They opened the “Libraries” section in Downloads months ago and it’s empty! Something like Renoise/Redux lives and dies on community, when it comes down to it, so maybe think about doing up a library…

Indeed comparing redux to mach five ( engines developed by uvi ) and algoritms licensed from IRCAM …is totally crazy .

Here it’s nine times more expensive than Redux, so i would have been a bit bummed if i found it had no advantage over it.

Hmm, i wonder, how much would it cost to license these or other professional algorithms to use in Renoise? Would the company owning the algorithm agree to a per license fee? Maybe it could be an idea to include more such things in a Renoise “Gold” version or something? I see it would probably make a lot of extra work and maybe even slower development though, but i’m just guessing on something i know nothing about.

It’s unfortunate in a way but most people, maybe all of us, are basically trained to respond to a certain kind of marketing and cache. If Deadmau5 tomorrow said in an interview, “I use Redux now, it’s all I use and it’s the best”, there would be a more or less guaranteed and significant lift in sales for a period afterward. And then they’d all show up here confused, not knowing WTH a tracker is and we’d have to answer all their questions.

I think Redux is finding its niche organically much as Renoise has and other products by other companies with a similar approach (e.g., Cockos with Reaper). For the foreseeable future, content for it is going to depend on the user base releasing decent stuff for free.

To that end, I’ve been working (slowly) on a ~300mb library I think I’ll call “The MIDI 90s” because it’s very '88-'98 house oriented and very synthy. Anyway I’m doing it for fun but also taking it seriously enough to make sure it’s a very good, solid (but still free) library people can use in production. It’ll have a bunch of classic synths (MKS-70, Jupiter 8, Prophet 5 and 10, more), mostly sampled note by note, usually with very good gear; old '90s sampler stuff from my own DJ days way back in the mists of time. It’ll have a good 303 emu based on the Diode-03 Renoise instrument but using actual 303 samples and what I hope is a more “realistic”-sounding mod/fx setup; lots of other stuff.

Not like you need a bunch of old gear, though, you could make up a kickass library with decent softsynths or single-cycle waves from AdventureKid or wherever, and some free time. They opened the “Libraries” section in Downloads months ago and it’s empty! Something like Renoise/Redux lives and dies on community, when it comes down to it, so maybe think about doing up a library…

Hey this makes me feel very stupid, but anyway: What the fuck is ‘Libraries’? I’ll gladly uload something there, but what exactly are we supposed to upload there? I’m confused?

What the fuck is ‘Libraries’?

To quote from:
http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Libraries

A Library acts as a container for other presets, stored in the file format (.xrnl) which is easily installed via drag and drop. Once installed, a content pack will immediately make its presets available via the preset menu(s). As these presets can be many different “things”, the installer tries to be helpful and will tell you what was installed - whether that content pack was a bunch of new instruments, some multi-sample presets, or perhaps a collection of DSP chains.

Right now, the only libraries are offered are these guys (on the backstage). Psudaform, yours truly and djeroek all contributed with content for the Redux launch, but it works just as fine when loaded into Renoise 3.1

Highly recommended!!

And on the downloads server, this is just another category/file format.
It got added a little late, because the limitation to uploaded files (64mb) didn’t really cut it. Since got expanded to 256mb :slight_smile:

To that end, I’ve been working (slowly) on a ~300mb library I think I’ll call “The MIDI 90s”

@robohymn: what you’re saying - amazing!! Perhaps the size size needs to be expanded even further then :wink:

Ahh man, i was looking for a save feature or an export feature in Renoise, i never thought of checking the manual, i really just thought it was a common folder system, didn’t know i could make xrnl manually.

Thanks Danoise, as usual. :slight_smile:

I’ll definately be working on a library myself, i may not come up with the most professionally sounding stuff, but i promise i will cook up something quite unique at least. :wink:

Bullshit. The tracker interface is just one feature here, Kontakt and mach5 have NO interface for notes… Also the Redux gui is WAY better than the ancient motu or crap interface of Kontakt.

Okay then, more power to you…

Someone told me, never say never. On Commodore 64 tracker interface was the way to go. We continuously see that things from the past becomes hip again.

A few years ago you couldn’t do professional productions without Pro Tools and today it’s going down the drain. Not long ago Cubase would top the list over best DAWs, but today it’s far down the list in the typical “Top DAW” lists. Analog synths has become the new thing and LPs are getting increasingly more popular.

The way the world works today i’d say it only takes one extremely famous person mentioning Renoise/Redux once in the right setting and you would have the ball rolling. People are like sheep, they follow blindly whatever their leader (read: idol) does. This is why famous people are being used in commercials, a company wouldn’t pay millions of dollars to get a famous person promote their product if it didn’t work. I wouldn’t say that’s the way to go for Renoise, but let’s say, even though as unlikely, i would become famous for my music, then i would definately use my fame to promote my favorite DAW. I bet when it became known that Venetian Snares was using Renoise i bet it was noticeable in the sales.

Have some faith, things aren’t hopeless, never give up!

For me i have a huge interest in Renoise being able to survive on the market and i’d hate to see the day if Renoise had to shut down because of financial problems. :panic:

Most trackers disappeared completely because of absolute lack of interest.

New stuff in development also goes down a very different route.

But then again, who the *** cares?!?!

And also it’s always the same hardcore-warriors here that just can’t accept the fact that this is a niche-software you are using…

No matter if it’s Redux or Renoise. Theese will never go mainstream. Ever. Deal with it…

And that’s 100% okay. I really don’t get what your f****n problem is with this…

It’s the same nonsense the Bitwiggis are always crying about over at KVR, so that this must be the best DAW of all DAWs in the world so that they are

happy to use it. And it also not. Far from it…At least for a lot of people. And that’s ooooookaaaay…

Twice interesting, because Bitwiggis also love to post cat-pictures. Never have seen this nonsense on LogicProHelp, duc.Avid, motunation, sensomusic forum, ableton forum,

or anywhere else… Now go figure…

I am done here…