Installation issue - AV Linux 2016

Hello,

i’m new to this forum, cause i want to switch from Win7/Ableton8 to Linux/Renoise3. I am running on AV Linux 2016, which is based on Debian testing. Now i’ve got the problem, that the installation of Renoise fails just after a few seconds. Here is what i did:

• I downloaded the 32bit version of Renoise for my 32bit OS

• I unpacked the file from my downloads-folder to my home-folder

• After that i used ‘cd’ to navigate to the unpacked folder via terminal

• For installation i used ‘sudo ./install.sh’

• Here is the output:

zappi@Lifebook:~$ cd Renoise_3_1_0_Demo_x86
zappi@Lifebook:~/Renoise_3_1_0_Demo_x86$ sudo ./install.sh
[sudo] Passwort für zappi:
Fixing file permissions…
zappi@Lifebook:~/Renoise_3_1_0_Demo_x86$

Renoise does not install and i have no idea why. Can anyone imagine, where’s the problem?

Thanks

debian testing

Why not ditch the gimmicky distro and actually get debian stable? All you really need to do is make sure the real time kernel settings are correct and you are good to go. I’ve never had a problem with Renoise in debain stable besides some slight midi latency (I never bothered to fix it because I like a busted groove every now and then).

I don’t know AVLinux. But I would rather recommend jumping on a more heavily used boat (distro) like regular debian or even rather ubuntu (kxstudio repos for it are amazing) when starting out with linux. Like where you could find help on the net for, expect high probability of having to tune/fix something under the hood when trying to use linux for non-mainstream tasks.

Maybe theres some crippled shell used that just fails silently on the install script? Or maybe “find” is broken (it is used right after the print that is shown in your output)? What does the command “echo $SHELL” print for you? Or AVLinux won’t work with “sudo” & not have it configured right, but would require you to log in as “real” root user. From looking at the script, it should either print “Installing shared resources…” or " ** Installation of Renoise $RENOISE_VERSION FAILED ** " as next step, but not just quit silently.

Also you can run renoise directly in the unzipped directory, without any installing, just run “./renoise” from the same directory from a shell.

I’ve never used avlinux but the guy in charge of it is very friendly and responsive so you could try hitting him up.