99 replies to this topic

#26 Mister Sombrero

Mister Sombrero

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 14:19

Audiotracks, a simple native synth module with all the basic waveforms, use the matrix like clip launcher (with possibliltiy for polyrythm, 3/4 over 4/4 etc.), change behaviour of vibrato and tremelo commands...

For the far future...android version, with gui resdesigned for touchscreen usage on the go (heresy).

Edited by Mister Sombrero, 23 September 2016 - 14:20.

#27 Bungle

Bungle

Big GrandDaddy Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:18

4. Ignores tracker functionality entirely, complains on forums that it's not more like Ableton / Bitwig / Logic / whatever

:)

5. Pays for regular updates, is not a "Why you change this" merchant, and while he is on the forum complaining about lack of modern features, he is not starting a ton of threads second guessing the developers or trying to be Renoises Marketer by working out how to make tracking more popular.

I love the amount of activity on this forum when we're discussing updates and the future for Renoise :-)

As in, very little ?

If the activity here is a gauge of interest in Renoise, it is time to pack your bags now, even Tracktion generates more activity/interest than Renoise, and that thing is just a rotating cash door.

Meh

#28 Akiz

Akiz

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 17:57

Ive got tracktion and its absence of any good forum is annoying. Ive never got any good answer for anything more complicated. So i dont agree here. Renoise is big topic on glitchhop, chiptune, breakbeats and ableton forums. I can not say this about tracktion. It is good daw but there are not enough pro users imho, they usually go somewhere else

#29 Raul (ulneiz)

Raul (ulneiz)

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:25

The other day I imagined what it would Renoise in the future. You already know, with all these advanced things:
  • A revamped GUI that would fit the screen resolution, with various font sizes and icons. This should take priority over all other things, since everything depends on the GUI.
  • A section of advanced automation layered with audio tracks with sound waves of each track and a lot of controls to make it easier automation, and can superimpose layers. Basically, is to merge the audio tracks with the automation using layers, which can be disabled (seize the surface to the maximum). 
  • A advanced pattern editor with a vertical pinanoroll optional for each track (each track supporting 120 columns note), you can undock in a floating window and turn 90° (vertical or horizontal).
  • Most advanced and easy instrument builder (keyzones) to deal with multiple samples...
  • Improve the matrix editor to differentiate groups of the tracks, and can collapse, greater vertical zoom, etc.
  • Better use of colors, which have utility. Classification of instruments by groups relationship colors of tracks and instruments, etc.
  • All detachable.
  • Things like that, the list could be endless. Definitely, Renoise that can be adjusted more to suit the consumer...

But all of this sounds too big. It seems that it is necessary that the Team Renoise grow considerably to advance this software, with more developers, or merging with another team. Most of these things have related with the GUI. A small team to strengthen the graphics would be great. 

Apparently, after a year or more, we only see an update with bug fixes. This is great! However, nowadays everybody wants everything fast and soon. Other solutions meet this pace, fast and soon.

In general, it is possible that developments in recent years with programs to compose music (DAWs) has made us a dirty trick (for ignore the true potential of a tracker). Renoise possibly is not even half the way. The tracker with a great team and money back could become the best DAW of the history. Their full potential is enormous. Whoever does not see this, is that has not used a tracker thorough in your life.

On the other hand, for this breakthrough software, a larger marketing machine, which implies a dedicated department would be necessary. Most DAWs that you see, have more development (more team) and advertising varied (more team) and are therefore more expensive. And some thing else, with a superb marketing, even the worst shit can be sell massively.

Renoise 4.0, with all these things, by symbolic price of 99'99€. Do you imagine it?  ^_^  ^_^  ^_^

I greatly enjoy Renoise 3.1.0, is a great evolution versus version 3.0.1. But at the same time, I drool every time I think of a much more advanced Renoise (with all those things in the above list or similar). Dreaming is free!

Sure each of you has his way of thinking...

Akiz, Tracktion only is known by Bungle and four cats more, with almost twice fame in Google. Nothing else. Do not worry!  :unsure:

:excl: Development of my tool: GT16-Colors

:excl: My API wishlist R3.1 (updated 18 July 2017):

Spoiler

:excl: My Renoise 3.1 wishlist (updated 18 July 2017):

Spoiler

#30 midi error

midi error

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:59

simultaneous audio/video editing

#31 thanatos

thanatos

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 21:33

oversampled envelope

audiorate modulation (AM FM FILTERFM)

soft clipper

nonlinear waveshaper

audio/video editing

wavetable audio

Satanical Bots Ritual : For your daily mix and news darkstep /breakcore / technno-dnb/ Crossbreed

My music 

My preview soundcloud

#32 Roppenzo

Roppenzo

Big Daddy Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 22:21

pff this topic is NOT about what you wish.. the topic is a quesion to the devteam.
House Music All Night Long. - Say What?

#33 ffx

ffx

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2848 posts
  • Interests:Renoise Sidechain

Posted 30 September 2016 - 10:35

pianoroll would be the worst nightmare  :wacko: noo!!  :panic:

#34 fladd

fladd

• Normal Members
  • 1199 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 16:44

How would that be a nightmare?

#35 Fsus4

Fsus4

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 02:08

pianoroll would be the worst nightmare  :wacko: noo!!  :panic:

Yeah.... I just woke up in the middle of the night... sweat running down everywhere... starting to cry like a baby and shaking....

Man, what a horrible nightmare!   :panic:

Now I've had many nightmares in the past, but NOTHING even compares to this particular horror nightmare. 

I don't even dare to utter the words... p... pia.... piano.... a roll of pianos.

They are coming to get you.

Anytime. Anywhere. Even inside Renoise!

(EDIT:  But seriously, just place out an enable/disable checkbox option in the preferences for a "limited tracker mode for conservatives" without any pianorolls and everything should be just fine, no?)

Edited by Fsus4, 02 October 2016 - 02:47.

• Raul (ulneiz) likes this

#36 Name User

Name User

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 21:05

• All detachable.

I think I made this same post before, but why? I don't want to design a GUI, I want GUI designers to do it for me. I want everything locked down and snapped into place. Renoise should be more like hardware rather than a cascade windows nightmare like Sonar or Cubase.

• Blt likes this

#37 Roppenzo

Roppenzo

Big Daddy Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 22:08

I think I made this same post before, but why?

dual monitor-setups.
House Music All Night Long. - Say What?

#38 Raul (ulneiz)

Raul (ulneiz)

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 21:42

I think I made this same post before, but why? I don't want to design a GUI, I want GUI designers to do it for me. I want everything locked down and snapped into place. Renoise should be more like hardware rather than a cascade windows nightmare like Sonar or Cubase.

It refers to "Customizable GUI" for user or "Customizable Graphic User Interface". You can use 2 or 3 monitors. But all detachable means not having umpteen cascading windows. I do not like cascading windows. The issue is not to use multiple windows, with 2 or 3 is sufficient, as it is now. R3 support until 3 detachable windows. The issue is to place the work areas to suit the composer. Areas which couple between them.

An example:

1. Window 1: Pattern Editor above + Piano Virtual below
  2. Window 2: Matrix Editor (all window)

...or

1. Window 1: Pattern Editor above + Piano Virtual below
  2. Window 2: Mixer + Automation

...or any distribution, can merge workspaces, maximize them, etc.

To clarify, I use two monitors 24" always (1920x1080 + 1920x1080 px.), but 1080 pixels height are few for me.

Please understand that many features are OPTIONS, not use if you not like.

A example for Customizable GUI is the image editor program MIR (Multiple Image Resizer.NET) https://www.multiple...t/features.aspx. You can drag and drop areas within the same window, according to distribution you prefer, or drag and convert into a new window. Would be wonderful!

Please install the program MIR and test the customizable GUI. Something similar to Renoise would be super!!! But first it is necessary to support the expansion of fonts and all GUI for higher resolutions 2K, 4K and following ...

Edited by Raul (ulneiz), 05 October 2016 - 14:08.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#39 Bungle

Bungle

Big GrandDaddy Member

• Normal Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 16:58

Here is the glod dust, the reason why Renoise development is so slow, and it is not very popular

User 1 - I want meh meh meh meh meh but no piano roll

User 2 - No i want meh meh meh meh meh whats wrong with piano roll

User 3 - No i want meh meh meh meh meh don't care about piano roll

Rest of world - Its just a tracker

Renoise is just Renoise, it is just a tracker, there will be no piano roll anytime soon if ever (Have you even seen how old the piano roll thread is), there will be no audio tracks anytime soon if ever (audio tracks thread isn't as old, but yeah check out how old that is too) they gave you Rewire and Redux specifically so that you could go and use a real DAW with audio tracks and piano roll, they have no interest in piano rolls and audio tracks hahahaha, its a tracker, it is geek software for geeks (Yes we are geeks, get over it)

The developers chose to invest their development time in geek features (Scripting and so on) not on usability features that would have drawn in new users, they cater for geeks, they don't care about getting new users.

Take all that in to account and guess what the next version of Renoise will have, i will guess, its own DSP language for coding native plugins direct in the software, of which ten will get made in the first few months by the stalwart geeks round here, then it will never get used (Much like the current scripting) and another three years will have passed.

Meh

#40 Akiz

Akiz

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • 966 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 17:40

Bungle: CDP tool was a great advert for renoise. Like stepport or guru...

#41 robohymn

robohymn

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 17:45

^ this is true, it's just unfortunate when the developers lose interest and the project dies half-finished or un-updated (as is the case with Guru and several other great Renoise scripts). As great as user scripting can be, this is the major drawback, and it is a *major* drawback. I see the same thing with Reaper scripting all the time, amazing projects abandoned at 80% completion. Even the legendary SWS Reaper extension appears to be dying. So as great as the scripting stuff can be, and all its potential, most of the time it ends up sputtering out and dying and is left to torment late-comers who want that functionality but will never have it unless they learn to code and are willing to invest the time. Experience shows me this is exceedingly rare -- once a project like that dies, it's dead, most of the time. Nobody picks it up, even though it's open source and they technically can do so.

When software like Renoise or Reaper has third-party user scripting, they should (imo) commit to a willingness to take on the best projects and actually roll them into the main program, assuming the original author agrees. There are rumours (for example) the Cockos guys are going to roll SWS into the main app, I'm really hoping they do because without SWS Reaper will no longer be Reaper. With Renoise, the best stuff -- and it is awesome -- is coming from danoise lately, and he's part of the Renoise team...

Edited by robohymn, 07 October 2016 - 17:50.

• f+d+k and 4kb like this

#42 Raul (ulneiz)

Raul (ulneiz)

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 19:07

For the curious awaiting news from Renoise 3.1.1 (¿?). I've been flipping through the "Pending Bug Fixes" Section, and apparently, have been correcting small features of Renoise 3.1 (7 or 8 fixed here and there), particularly from April to July 2016. So, apparently, R3.1.1 will be next version with those small corrections and little else, if they have invested more time after the summer to improve more.

I said if anyone interested has not noticed this section. If there is any big surprise, are doing a good job for anyone to know.

Meanwhile, we will continue with the mystery!  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Spoiler

Spoiler

#43 Fsus4

Fsus4

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 21:06

Take all that in to account and guess what the next version of Renoise will have, i will guess, its own DSP language for coding native plugins direct in the software, of which ten will get made in the first few months by the stalwart geeks round here, then it will never get used (Much like the current scripting) and another three years will have passed.

Yeah, could be. Maybe LuaJIT.

But I'd guess if there is such a thing as a NEW "non-geeky" feature they're testing (or will be testing later on) in the alphas, it's audiotracks and hdd audio streaming. Probably some more polishing on the instruments/sampler too, in both Renoise and Redux.

#44 Bungle

Bungle

Big GrandDaddy Member

• Normal Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 22:20

I wouldn't hold your breath for audio tracks, just go use a DAW

Meh

#45 OopsIFly

OopsIFly

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • 826 posts
  • Interests:...daydreams... -VS- ...propaganda...

Posted 13 October 2016 - 15:08

I really hope the team is busy with fixing the most archaic limitation that renoise currently has, and that pulls it back from the state of other daw software since years.

I mean I hope they decided to fix the audio/channel routing interface, and allowing for real audio rate sidechaining, multichannel and parallel processing doofers and send groups, better layering of instruments, such stuff. And also more clever CPU usage spreading and control, and monitoring along cores as side effect.

I think this most probably would mean really fucking around with the core engine of renoise, maybe in a way that means to redesign it in big parts. But it needs to be done!

• ffx likes this

#46 gentleclockdivider

gentleclockdivider

• Normal Members
  • 2478 posts
  • Interests:slacking

Posted 13 October 2016 - 15:44

Lightning fast envelopes . No more f...n interpoaltion .-breakpoints-tensioncurves inc.

Freely routable signal flow in instr.section.
Dsp gen.osc's
Filters and dsm osc's/ capable of audio rate modulation..f.m..crossmod etc...
Math.dsp function effect performibg at s.r...think r.s.func.shaper.
We gave Th Same dist. Eff.for ages .
All This and I am a happy camper...somthing tells Me I Will Be dissapointed ..( again).

Lightning fast envelopes . No more f...n interpoaltion .-breakpoints-tensioncurves inc.

Freely routable signal flow in instr.section.
Dsp gen.osc's
Filters and dsp gen. osc's/ capable of audio rate modulation..f.m..crossmod etc...
Math.dsp function effect performibg at s.r...think r.s.func.shaper.
We gave Th Same dist. Eff.for ages .
All This and I am a happy camper...somthing tells Me I Will Be dissapointed ..( again).

Edited by gentleclockdivider, 13 October 2016 - 15:47.

THERE IS NO RELIGION SUPERIOR TO THE TRUTH

THERE IS NO TRUTH SUPERIOR TO THE ONE I CHOOSE

C'EST MIEUX D'ETRE BELLE ET REBELLE

QUE MOCHE ET REMOCHE

RUBIO RABIA

#47 00.1

• Normal Members
  • 1347 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 04:38

Turn up the pressure.

• Conner_Bw likes this

Windows 10
Toshiba Satellite L875D
AMD A8-4500M APU with Radon™ HD Graphics 1.90 Ghz
6.00 GB RAM
64bit Operating System, x64-based processor

#48 ffx

ffx

• Normal Members
  • 2848 posts
  • Interests:Renoise Sidechain

Posted 14 October 2016 - 11:26

I really hope the team is busy with fixing the most archaic limitation that renoise currently has, and that pulls it back from the state of other daw software since years.

I mean I hope they decided to fix the audio/channel routing interface, and allowing for real audio rate sidechaining, multichannel and parallel processing doofers and send groups, better layering of instruments, such stuff. And also more clever CPU usage spreading and control, and monitoring along cores as side effect.

I think this most probably would mean really fucking around with the core engine of renoise, maybe in a way that means to redesign it in big parts. But it needs to be done!

+1

My personal high priority:

Sidechaining, yes sample accurate (thru send device, targeting any right/bottom fx listening to input 3/4), parallel container device (to make dry/wet processing possible + real parallel processing!) dry/wet amount for any effect/doofer/container (in hidden adv. dialogue),  highly improved doofer concept (multi band splitting possible, insert-send possible, making lot of sends obsolete), overhauled lfo (reset->mini slider, 2 point in column, last column is 1st column, real curve mode), overhauled recording automation (including high precision recording for automation, support to move sliders in vsts, real curve mode), edit beyond pattern boundaries (dragging, including adv. options), better solution for midi command recording (sucks to be recorded in pattern command), placing sends anywhere (just as an visual alias, keeping current routing rules), indication of on/off automation

Nice to have:

Note-off to graphical blocks (draggable, resizable via mouse, turns renoise into cool piano roll without headache and idiocy), slow smooth scrolling in track scopes (so it turns into waveform display, which is much more useful, scopes only make sense in basic synthesis), horizontal aliases (instance doubling/multiplying, with overwrite-able data in alias), LUA dsp fx device (which can receive multiple meta signals + sidechain, too, so nicely fitting into a doofer)

For getting a piano roll, simply use Bitwig, as it has quite a similar dsp concept, but provides you with your beloved pianolol.

Ok, I can not get all my dreams to be come reality, but I hope at least some points...  :w00t:

If you do that basic/important ones, I would do a tool for multi-device-chaining (to make it possible to save/reuse cross-track constructions) to contribute some work.

Edited by ffx, 14 October 2016 - 16:43.

• ceejay likes this

#49 Bungle

Bungle

Big GrandDaddy Member

• Normal Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 20:08

For getting a piano roll, simply use Bitwig, as it has quite a similar dsp concept, but provides you with your beloved pianolol.

Just simply go out and spend 3 times as much as Renoise costs to get a piano roll

(You do realise that the whole PianoLOL thing, is very old now, very tired, and about as funny as a finding a two inch wart in your nether regions, or maybe you are just trying to disrespect people who work in Piano Rolls and find them useful, not sure a bigot has any place on any kind of public forum, you are just asking for trouble)

If anybody here starts to use Bitwig, they wont be using Renoise ever again, it does pretty much everything better than Renoise, except tracking.

Meh

#50 KURTZ

KURTZ

• Normal Members
  • 1046 posts
  • Interests:bunnies

Posted 18 October 2016 - 22:14

What's next :

Okay the devteam has allready added a cool feature : : the convolver.

The NEXT Renoise should feature a "HTRF Binaural 3D Simulator" that position every input mono sound source into a virtual 3D space

Let's call this release : Renoise 3.D

How ?

It has to Convolute a mono signal with Head-Related Impulse Response (HRIR) for the left and right ear respectively.

See this article explaining how to code it.

• oneunkind likes this

KURTZ

¤ cpu intel core i5 3.20Ghz | ram 8gb | nvidia geforce gtx 970 | hd1.2 tb | os win10 64bits | midi maudio oxygen 49 master keyboard
¤ kurtz/lapiNIC's french blog
¤ renoise france - communauté francophone des utilisateurs de renoise