Maybe and mono

Hey all,

I’ve recently updated to the newest version of renoise (I was using 1.8 last time I was writing songs!) and am trying to understand some of the new(er) functions.

My main question is: is there a way to utilize the maYbe effect monophonically?

I’m also having a hard time understanding the mono mode, it doesn’t seem to operate like I would expect, say, a mono-synth to act.

For instance, I would like to have

f-3 – / — –

— – / g-3 –

a-3 --/ — –

— – / b-3 –

produce a slurred, monophonic line. Is this possible with native renoise functionality?

mono mode, it doesn’t seem to operate like I would expect, say, a mono-synth to act.

The (perhaps confusingly named) mono mode prevents you from triggering (as in, via MIDI or PC keyboard) multiple notes at the same time.

It does not affect notes playing from the pattern, only those that you play inrealtime.

While recording, the mono mode will cause a monophonic stream of notes to be recorded into the pattern. This is true, even when using glide in combination with mono (a stream of Gxx commands are created on the fly)

But you can’t glide from note to note when they’re in different columns. So the monophonic line spread across two note columns (as pictures above) is only possible with plugins.

As for the maYbe command, it doesn’t really matter if a note is triggered using maYbe or not, the fundamental rules (notes glide from earlier note in same column) is still true.

So, in both cases the solution is to use a single note column instead of two.

Is there any way to get a note to glide to (or be glided-to) from another note in a different line when using the maybe effect? I’m trying to create maybe lines with legato melodies

You can always use a legato-capable plugin, they don’t know or care about note columns.

This would include Redux btw. :slight_smile:

Does the keytracker register non triggered maybe notes (or not) ?

There are ways then to “fake” legato via pitch modulation & formula inertia. This can also enable constant time legato vs the constant speed that renoise does with its gxx commands. I had once worked on a 303 simulation which was crap because formula operates at tick lvls & thus the filter modulation sucked, and with it I needed to use special commands (in my case 2 special notes that needed to be triggered for toggeling glide mode iirc) to specify legato or not legato, which is extra work to sequence compared to the overlap method. The overlap would in this scenario only prevent the instrument to retrigger the sample, at least in mono gff mode. Maybe I could think about other modes though, but every method would have its limitations.

Does the keytracker register non triggered maybe notes (or not) ?

No, only the ones triggered. So your idea should work just fine :slight_smile:

I whipped this little demo together - a saw synth playing three mutually exclusive (Y00) notes in sequence:

7017 inertia_yxx_example.xrns

The envelope is still retriggered on each note, but that can be controlled with the Exx command *

• When notes are retriggered with Exx, a small but noticeable artifact can appear when the attack is very fast - just lower the attack rate a bit…

Don’t know, maybe this approach is useful too?

Your example helps me out a lot danoise, thank you! :guitar:

Well I figured that silly problem out, although I’m still not sure how to drag the instrument macro into the doofer slot from the instrument plugin tab. I had to create a doofer in the track DSP chain, drag the macro in and then copy it.

Anyways, in trying to “build” up your example myself, I’m still getting stuck trying to find what actually makes it behave monophonically. Here’s what I have:

7029 inertia_yxx_exampleUNCLEC.xrns

Thanks again for any assistance. Renoise has gotten HUUUGE since I was away! :panic:

Hi - the macro device is not supposed to be in the inst fx, probably though so ppl won’t accidentally produce parameter feedback that could glitch. Inside a doofer renoise won’t notice, but take care you don’t produce feedback with the device.

For your example - I think you didn’t understand the concept of the idea so well.

First you should enable mono glide gff mode, though danoise didn’t in his example.

Then you need to disable the “key->pitch” in the keyzones. Yep, you heard right. The pitch modulation with the inertia device will take care of pitching the samples now. You can still tweak the base note to tune your samples.

Then you also need to tweak the inertia/pitch modulation ranges, and the keytracker in sync. You need to match the key tracker values with the pitch modulation range. I think it goes up to +/- 96 semitones, you only have 12 right now. And you can define the macro/operand range to make it tuning perfect. You might need a calculator for this, full note range from c-0 to b-9 is 119 semitones if I recall correctly. Sorry I can’t give you a recipe right now, you can just look at the note ranges in keytracker and macro control from danoise’s example for inspirations. I might try to help you if you still have trouble with this once I’m sober again. Happy Halloween - isn’t it grand to now be able to produce some theremine like sounds with renoise, just crank the sine wave up the inertia, add volume fade in/outs and a vibrato lfo to the pitch moduration hic

Thanks much OopsIFly, this all makes sense to me; should have seen the key->pitch button before, the rest I understood pretty smoothly.

A byproduct of this lack of comprehension is that I can see some different ways one could go about implementing microtunes, woohoo!

Happy Halloween yourself, hope you had a good one.