Help with recording guitar

Hi all,

I am a long time renoise user, but I use it very “infrequently”. I still have only scratched to surface so far. I finally found the time to experiment with guitar recording in renoise. Since I have never used renoise for recording, I have run into problems very fast that neither the docs nor the forum could answer for me.

This is my “setup”:

• I use the latest stable renoise release

• I use a ZOOM G2.1u guitar effects pedal that is plugged in via USB

• I have selected the ZOOM pedal as Audio Device (ASIO) in Renoise (works so far)

I hear my guitar playing, and I can also record stuff in the sample editor and play it as an instrument in the pattern editor.

Maybe this is all there is to know, but I would like to “ease” my workflow somehow. I dont want to switch to the sample editor and play along the playing song. I want to start recording in the pattern editor by hitting space with global recording an (like I would when recording with a MIDI keyboard) and then start playing the guitar, so that it automatically is recorded to a sample. Is this possible somehow?

Another question would be how to automatically “trim” silcence in my recorded samples. The renoise plugins I have found dont work with the current renoise version.

And last but not least: Is there a way to display the sample waveform for the single tracks inside the pattern editor? I am so used to “seeing” the whole song represented as notes in the pattern view. Now, when recording to samples, all I see is a “C-4” at the beginning of the pattern for each recorded track.

I’m sure you discovered “Sync start and stop” and may have figured out how to use them to make sure you are playing in time with your song. Once the window is popped up, you can switch to pattern view and then start to record if you want. I don’t bother.

Because the resulting recording is hopefully in time, I can trim it by eye and ear to get the first note to start properly, and fix the rest with the “snap to beat/eighth/whatever” function to fix mistakes.

The ability to see a waveform from the pattern editor is a commonly requested feature.

In short, this sort of recording is not a strong point of Renoise, but I’ve learned to live with it because I just don’t feel like launching another program and I like my own results.