[Solved] Not Mute, Not Off, But Silence...

Total starter question. While trying to learn shortcuts, I seem to have silenced a track but I don’t understand how, and I can’t unearth the reason why. The short version of the question is… what does the ‘X’ symbol represent in the screenshot? Does it mean that no instrument or sample is allocated to the track? If so, how could that happen? I’ve soloed the track > silence, I’ve turned the track off and on again… no diff. I’m afraid I must admit defeat. All I know is that the pattern was triggering a closed hi hat sample, random key press… enigma. Any pointers? I’ve searched the Help section and sped through some of the starter videos again but no joy. What have I done or what am I missing? Thanks!

Check out the pattern matrix section in the manual;

"Muting Blocks

_“Left Alt + left-click”_or middle-mousebutton-click on blocks to mute/un-mute them. This also works for muting/un-muting multiple selected blocks at once.

This key and mouse combination also works in theTrack Scopes."

http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Pattern_Matrix

The pattern matrix isn’t opened in the screenshot, maybe you accidentally held alt + the left mousebutton in the scopes trying to un-mute etc?

Thanks yet again Djeroek! Must have been a left click left alt keypress while around investigating mute and solo. Just got the chance to check it there and alt clicked the X away! I must admit, I am a bit confused between OFF, MUTE and X at the moment, they seem to be different, but I’m sure I’ll figure it out at the link above when I get the time. Using mac with trackpad (right click = two finger press)

Left Alt + Left Click - sets track to ‘X’ (regardless of being muted or soloed…)

Left Alt + Right Click - toggles all other tracks to OFF aka Solo

CMD + Left Click - sets track to MUTE

CMD + Right Click - set all other tracks to MUTE

I’ll post back when I get to bottom of it, but at least I can get out if it now! Hope you accept karma rather than a fee and that I can help you back at some point :slight_smile: