Track groups + save each track to separate file = lots of cool samples

Say you’re working on a sound or a track or whatever, and you build up the sound with some synths and effects. If you want to keep versions of the sounds at different stages, you have to keep rendering them out, right? Over and over again…

But what if you could just write your track without stopping to bounce each version of a sound?What if you could write your track, press a button, and get every version of every sound you created?

Use track groups to separate and capture different versions of your sound. Here’s how it works:

• create a normal track for your sound
  • put it in a group – add your first layer of effects to this group
  • want another layer of effects? put the first group inside of another group and add effects
  • when you’re done, render song to disk, checking “Save each track to a separate file”

That’s it! Renoise saves every track to a separate file, so you’ll get one version of your sound at every group level – every layer of effects you added. To rebuild your mix, just use the top-most group renders. And now you’ve got the intermediate stages to add to your sample library, or use in a remix, or whatever you want with it.

Tip: Use automatic file naming with %TRACK_NUMBER% to keep the rendered files sorted sensibly.

7100 Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 12.53.04 AM.png

7101 Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 12.54.14 AM.png

7102 Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 12.54.48 AM.png

In this example I’ve made a multi-layered bass. The file “06-total bass.wav” is what I hear coming from Renoise, and the other files are the intermediate sounds that created that final sound.

You could also use it to capture each stage of a production, from arrangement to mix:

7103 Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 1.02.26 AM.png

This way you can keep your “raw” stems, a lightly processed version with no creative effects or automation, and then the final version with all its crazy effects and automation.

Of course, you can add as many groups in between as you want to capture different versions of the sound… as many as your CPU will handle, anyway.

Nice trick!

Good one pat

I just wrote another forum post aboutbrowsinglargelibraries of.wav files:

https://forum.renoise.com/t/better-sample-browser-subfolder-search/47013

Cool idea!