Building old machine for Renoise 3.1

I have a kind of fetish to get the maximum from old machines, making them usable with newest software and operating systems. :))

Right now I’m in the process of pumping up old machine from about year 2001, it’s Asrock motherboard P4i65PE with 2.5 GB (3x512MB + 1x1GB) of DDR1 and some very slow AGP video card and Celeron 2.2 GHz processor. I will put fastest Pentium 4 CPU in it (~3.4 GHz) and I want to put fastest possible AGP video card because Renoise runs fairly good in the means of speed, but graphics is pretty slow, would be good if it’s a bit faster, more beautiful to look at.

So I need expert opinion what video card should I look for. I undestand that should be some card capable of 2D acceleration, but I really don’t know about the deep details and how Renoise uses graphic capabilities of the computer.

It al runs on Lubuntu 14.04 32bit.

Thanks in advance…

Any card you’ll be able to find, I guess. AGP is an ancient interface, it was superseded by PCI-E nearly a decade ago.

You won’t need much power anyway. Renoise runs just fine on shitty Intel HD integrated graphics.

graphics card is not important, better to get more RAM

and talking about linux its important to have a real-time kernel - the easiest way is to install ubuntu studio

There are still agp cards sold new, who knows for what wisdom, probably for stuff like your task - trying to beef up old pcs.

My guess would be to try to get an amd/ati card, and use the slim and pretty advanced open source drivers. But you should better do some research on your own on how the situation is for agp and the specific model you are looking at, and what aspects would be deprecated with modern kernels and thus maybe already flaky in operation. Keep in mind that even in linux there are projects dropped from focus in development to bare maintainance because nobody uses them anymore, and then the bitrot starts kickin’.

I’d also guess you should just expect slow graphics. AGP is very slow, even in 2d for high resolutions, it is just slow, and I guess also old cpus will be more of bottleneck for the gfx than the bus would be. I dabbled in such an attic pc with linux some years ago, these things are just snails and will never become speedy, period. They work, but even some 2nd hand more recent office model bought at the price point of the agp graphics card alone will be a rocket in comparison. I think 3d is unimportant for renoise (yet), so the smallest (and also coolest and quietest and least power hungry) model should suffice.

Out of my head I would also assume that single core machines are not really good for renoise, because gui and the privileged audio/dsp are fighting somewhat, to the loss for the gui. I have a hexacore machine, but allow renoise only 5 cores for dsp partially because the gui keeps fluent on heavy load this way.

To gain power for the dsp and tune latency in linux, use a good lowlatency or realtime kernel with realtime privileges enabled, disable hyperthreading, disable cpu reclocking, set a low “cpu_dma latency” that will prevent the longer state switches, (for disbling reclocking and dma_latency state switches please monitor the heat around the cpu, it can get very hot this way…), privilege your audio, involved clocks, and input interrupt devices over everything else - especially over the graphics - with the rtirq script. Then test the scenario with cyclictest (in my ubuntu the “rt-tests” package, or rt-tools from source for each custom kernel) in smp mode, at priority 95 where the renoise dsp threads will be as dry test and test at prio 96 while renoise is running to see if the µsecs are low in these states - when the cyclictest latency with proper tests is still high, deeper debugging must start, I once had the open nvidia driver steal chunks in the thousand of µs realm which of course sucks and needs to be tackled. Don’t expect this to make renoise run in the one digit ms latency realm, renoise isn’t really slippy realtime enabled, but the better and more stable the bed you place it in is, the more performance you will be able to squeeze out of it without dropouts.

I just noticed replies, because notification seem to be not working in my case :frowning: Thank you all very much, you were helpful, especiallyOopsIFly with deeper insight into the matter. I will update the topic here once I pack the old machine for Renoise giving my impression whether it’s usable or not…