34 replies to this topic

#26 4Tey

4Tey

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 12:33

Is there any particular idea that would benefit from a team of scripters atm?

Yeps Joule, my MiniRoll program that isn't even started and probably never finish :D

But seriously what I mean is it isn't the end result necessarily of the script (the script itself could be very simple), it is the process of writing a basic script and how people see algorithms and structure the solution to a particular problem :)

#27 danoise

danoise

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Renoise Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6200 posts
  • Interests:wildlife + urban trekking

Posted 17 December 2016 - 13:01

I also wonder why Danoise has no responsibility within Renoise's team to improve it. He could be adding things and even fixing bugs, while taktik is in another isolated world. He seems to make only tools, while Renoise is stuck. And being honest, the renoise forum is maintained because it's Danoise. But this would be a disaster.

Joule is also making its own tool "Chord tracker". I guess he works at short times, slowly, in installments. I do not see much afta8 activity lately. Certainly very few people are trying to do things with Lua API. 

It is also true that it is complicated to collaborate. Each person is from a different country. On the other hand, how is it possible that there is no serious news of Taktik? Does no nobody know him closely and can filter something? It is a very antisocial philosophy. What problem is there in informing the forums?

I am involved - I already have been dabbling with some of the API, implementing a little feature here and there. So you could call me "one of the developers" :) 

But first and foremost, I see it as my job description to support people who have questions regarding the API. I get a lot of PMs with questions regarding XY and Z. 

As for collaborations, I think we have that covered. It's called the forum!

For example, the awesome CDP tool is the result of djeroek proposing it, and afta8 picking up the challenge :-) 

Also, I'm happy to see some people pick up the cLib/vLib/xLib libraries, at least to extract a bit of code or get inspired in some way. I would call this a kind of collaboration too. 

Anyone feeling like adding a few additional unit-tests? :badteeth:

• afta8 likes this

Tracking with Stuff. API wishlist | Soundcloud

#28 joule

joule

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1366 posts
  • Interests:music, philosophy, engineering

Posted 17 December 2016 - 13:13

@Danoise,

I can't find a forum thread for cLib! Wanted to make a feature request (or two).

#29 danoise

danoise

• Renoise Team
  • 6200 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 13:17

@Danoise,

I can't find a forum thread for cLib! Wanted to make a feature request (or two).

OK, I'll create a topic for it. 

Edit: done

Edited by danoise, 17 December 2016 - 13:25.

#30 Raul (ulneiz)

Raul (ulneiz)

Big Super GrandMasta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 14:56

This thread is gone!  ^_^

@Danose. I believe that 4Tey means to collaborate as a team, approving a project and working together on the code, type the CDP tool. For example, create a miniroll like the one proposed by 4Tey. I've noticed, the more I know about the available API (not just the LUA code itself), is possible to create really impressive tools. Things that I thought were not possible before.

However, teamwork should be disinterested, as it is not perceived economically. I mean that in the team, some will work more than others, and this really should not matter. But the important thing is the end result: the tool. 

But all this is complicated, precisely because each one has different knowledge, different levels. Collaborating or helping in the forum is like another topic. I, for my part, am very happy. I am solving a lot of things thanks to the help in the forums. I go forward, I do not get stuck. For any newbie, the worst thing that can happen is to get stuck, not to advance. If this happens, building the code can be a horror, resulting in abandonment of the project or a poorly constructed tool.

Danoise, returning to the thread, can you take a look at this? : comment #20 I think it's missing some detail to operate at 100% (the window tool does not always stay on top). Solving this, I would put this topic as solved.

#31 danoise

danoise

• Renoise Team
  • 6200 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 15:26

The tool window now appears correctly above Renoise. However, something seems to be missing. When you click on the Renoise window, the renoise window superimposes the tool window. I close and re-open the tool and this no longer happens, the tool always remains above. It seems that something is missing to force the window to always be superimposed...  ^_^

What is missing?

You mean that the dialog is launched on startup, appears on top, but once you click Renoise it disappears? 

Well, my guess is that it could've happened as a result of you having 2 "competing" methods for launching the window. 

1. First, you're doing the idle notifier thing which will invoke "show_dialog". And this really should be enough. 
  2. But then you're also listening for "new document". This will *also* trigger "show_dialog", and perhaps it happens a wee bit too soon? 

And indeed, in the example tool I shared with you, I'm also listening for the new document.

The difference is that this will start the idle notifier and thus, only have one outcome. 

#32 afta8

afta8

• Normal Members
  • 709 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 15:45

@Raul, collaborating with other coders would be great in principle but for me making a tool has always been needs led so I think having a strong idea or concept that people can get behind would be a necessary trigger for this to happen.. this was certainly what created the momentum behind the CDP tool.

#33 Raul (ulneiz)

Raul (ulneiz)

• Normal Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 15:56

You mean that the dialog is launched on startup, appears on top, but once you click Renoise it disappears? 

Exact!

And indeed, in the example tool I shared with you, I'm also listening for the new document.

The difference is that this will start the idle notifier and thus, only have one outcome. 

This is beyond my comprehension: "The difference is that this will start the idle notifier and thus, only have one outcome"

"and perhaps it happens a wee bit too soon?" It may be this. It's like I loaded it before, not after. But I do not quite understand.

I have tried different combinations of code (with trial and error, to understand), but they all work the same or similar except one: causes a crash beast, which seems to be caused by an infinite loop perhaps?

The issue is that I can not always keep the window above, if I do not close it once, an reopen. It is a bit of a nuisance, which confuses the use of the tool.

#34 danoise

danoise

• Renoise Team
  • 6200 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 16:18

I have tried different combinations of code (with trial and error, to understand)

As this whole "pop-under" issue comes down to timing, it's crucial to delay things with an idle observer. 

Did you try removing the new_document notifier? Like I said, the idle observer *should* be enough. 

#35 Raul (ulneiz)

Raul (ulneiz)

• Normal Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 16:28

As this whole "pop-under" issue comes down to timing, it's crucial to delay things with an idle observer. 

Did you try removing the new_document notifier? Like I said, the idle observer *should* be enough. 

Fuck, that's right!  ^_^  ^_^  ^_^  ^_^ I did not realize I was repeating 2 times the same thing, the new_document notifier with "prefs.autostart.value". Perfect!

I put this topic as solved! Thank you for this!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: slider tracks, notifier, _observable