Any Korg ER1 users here with SysEx Success?

Struggling with MIDI-OX (and any other sysex host) regarding Korg ER1.

I have communication with the drum machine, but bytes recieved are corrupt, and bytes sent (for example a whole “All Data” package) return in nothing / no change on the machine although it IS receiving something. Sometimes it returns “Er.9” (Error 9). I have set up all sysex hex codes according to the ER1 midi implementation.

Very frustrating. Anyone got this working?

Bump. Anyone here with an ER1 and sysex experience?
Hmmyeah maybe i should take this to the Korg forum :smiley:

are you trying to do a midi dump? I’ve never had any issues

check the midi filter settings and also prepare the receiving end to get a bulk dump

have you seen this?

could be made into a guru patch pretty easily

are you trying to do a midi dump? I’ve never had any issues

check the midi filter settings and also prepare the receiving end to get a bulk dump

have you seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR4slZH3n4k

could be made into a guru patch pretty easily

Hey, yeah I saw your MaxMSP vid, that’s pretty wild! Nice job.

Well yeah i only want to do traditional sysex dumps back and forth between ER1 and MIDI-OX, but no luck so far. Connection yes, but no actual usable data results (corrupt).

I’m no expert at all when it comes to sysex, could you perhaps share your working setup (dump-codes & settings) with me? that would be extremely helpful…
i’m not sure what to set in the midi filter settings :blink:

Sure, I’ll have a look at the weekend and report back. Might even make a little Guru ER1 patch

Sure, I’ll have a look at the weekend and report back.

Ah, thanks a lot for your help, really appreciate it!

its been a long weekend! have you solved this??

Hehe :slight_smile: No, not solved yet, something must be wrong with my setup in MIDI-OX.
You mentioned something about the midi filter settings - exactly what are your settings there?
Thanks!

It worked for me last night:

Open midi OX, go to the view/sysex menu

Send your ER1 MIDI out to the MIDI in of your soundcard (just in case!)

Set the ER1 to dump and choose ALL / Pattern / Song

Set midi ox to receive Manual Dump

Press play on the ER1! It spins around to show its going, and MIDI OX will show you whats been received.

Thats it!

NB. Midi filter settings were - - -

Allright, thanks for testing.

Well - i’ve spent the whole freaking day now, really digging into the midi implementation, and learning everything there is to know about sysex and MIDI-OX, googling, testing everything there is to test, actually. Including all different settings, buffers and so on. And including 3 other sysex applications for Windows.

Conclusions:

• My ER-1 can only send and recieve the most basic data (PTN, SNG, ALL), either via triggering it from the ER, or via dump request commands. But stuff like “current pattern data” (the one I need the most) is a no go. Gives me error “Er.9” on the ER, and i also see the error response in sysex (“24”) which means data load error.
  • This error means that it cannot write to the ER, because Global Protection on the box is set to ON. But the weird part is that it isn’t, it’s set to OFF ffs. I also did a full reset of the ER-1, but no luck / no difference. And the weird part is that i can write LOCALLY on the ER, I mean overwriting patterns and settings etc. So memory is intact.
  • This also means that even if I managed to do a full dump of the ER, I cannot write it back. Data is being sent to the box, but never written.
  • Midi filter settings have no impact either, as long as I have dump mode view active on the ER. But i tried every single midi filter setting just in case.
  • Can’t find anyone else with this same problem, except for a german dude who said on a forum a couple of years ago that his solution for it was to use a simpler program than MIDI OX, called Send SX. Tried it now and exactly same results.

So - only way I see it, I have a faulty unit. Guess it’s time to officially give up :blink:

Midierror - if you want , confirm that this works for you:

• Send dump request F0 42 3C 51 10 F7 to recieve data for pattern A.01 from the ER. (the “C” in 3C is for midi channel 10, so if you use other midi channel than 10, for example 1, it needs to change to “30”)
  • Save the sysex data
  • Do some random changes to pattern A.01 on the ER
  • Send the sysex file to the ER and see if the original patterns comes back

Hmmm off the top of my head - are you changing the global setting, then pressing write?

Because this save the menu settings. I’ll try your code and see what happens!

Hmmm off the top of my head - are you changing the global setting, then pressing write?

Because this save the menu settings. I’ll try your code and see what happens!

Yup, I press write after changing globals, and checked when rebooting that they were actually saved, otherwise good point, could have been a typical human fail :smiley:

Anyway, great if you try and see if you can pull off the “current pattern” request.

One good thing though, is that I managed to set up all the NRPN/CC combinations in a Renoise template, so now I can at least automate every parameter on the ER through Renoise, that’s pretty sweet! A lot of doofers, but it works. Guess it’s the simliar logic as youi used in your MaxMSP setup.

Cool, can you share it? i have no idea how you’d do that with doofers. I’m converting all my Guru patches to Max4Live now, cos you can actually automate them :confused:

Yes, its worth covering the basics just in case…

I’ve got the above text to take home and try in my underground bunker with no internet

Weirdly I got it to work ONCE, then could not replicate it… I tried for half an hour or so but it only got the ER1 to do something once.

…and i didnt save it. Even doing exactly as the manual says, I got no results.

I know your code was right cos it did work!

Yeah that is weird. But I’m not surprised either, i’ve been experiencing quite a bit of randomness myself with this box vs. sysex.
Thanks for testing it out, much appreciated! If I choose to spend more time on this later and discover something useful I will of course share it.
Yesterday i downloaded a ER1 sysex dump file from the web and compared it to one of my own dumps, opened up in a hex editor, and i discovered that my dump is 20kb larger in size, and it does NOT end with the “F7” command, which I believe it has to do to work properly. So I think my problem lies in the box, it does not transmit correctly, and therefore it can’t write back properly either. But I won’t spend more time on it now, I’ll live without it!

Anyway, here is my NRPN template for controlling everything via Renoise, try it out sometime :slight_smile:
http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/files/file/545-korg-er-1-nrpn-control-template/

A bit buggy, but can be very handy if the task is just to shape sounds and sequence faster!

Cool, thanks I’ll check it out…I’m interested to see how it works.

All i know about in renoise for NRPN is MIDI Inst box and Guru, no idea how to implement with Doofers.

The only solution I can think of is to find another ER1 and transfer between them…?

yeah the thought crossed my mind, if I get over another cheap ER1 i’ll probably buy it. Really love it!

Nice way of doing NRPNS in there…! I guess something good has come out of it, I didnt know you could put the MIDI inst in a doofer.

You can also add mute / solo

What are the 3 Wake Up Doofers things for? Why are they all connected?

I get they turn off the doofers…

Yesterday i downloaded a ER1 sysex dump file from the web and compared it to one of my own dumps, opened up in a hex editor, and i discovered that my dump is 20kb larger in size, and it does NOT end with the “F7” command, which I believe it has to do to work properly. So I think my problem lies in the box, it does not transmit correctly, and therefore it can’t write back properly either. But I won’t spend more time on it now, I’ll live without it!

I think there must be a way of adding F7, which may/may not work…

Nice way of doing NRPNS in there…! I guess something good has come out of it, I didnt know you could put the MIDI inst in a doofer.

You can also add mute / solo

What are the 3 Wake Up Doofers things for? Why are they all connected?

I get they turn off the doofers…

Yeah the “wake up, doofers” is there to help ER1 initialize the right sounds when you load the Renoise project, if not it will just use whatever settings is present in the current pattern on the ER1.
And sometimes stuff gets glitchy, so then I need to nudge that hydra again, sort of a custom “panic” thingie.