Impossible to use midi C-10 to G-10?

This week i ran into a coded limitation of Renoise:

I can’t play notes beyond B-9. And i can’t set the end note to anything higher than B-9.

The midi monitor does in fact show those midi-events, fired by my keyboards (Arturia Laboratory 61, Roland A-88), ranging from C-10 to G-10, but they simply aren’t transmitted to any instrument (vst, midi-hardware or samples).

I’m using Vienna Symphonic Library within Renoise and i would really like to define some keyboard splits and therefore using the full note range provided by the keyboards.

Thanks and merry christmas!

You have a more than 119 keys on your keyboard? neat :stuck_out_tongue:

Are you sure your keyboard is not transposed an octave or more higher? The octave setting in renoise also effects this. Surely the range should be big enough (there is no way to go around this, note number 120 in renoise is note off).

Was my Keyboard transposed? Yes, but it doesn’t change the fact, that the A-88 DOES send the following notes and Renoise receives them as well:

7157 renoise_midi.jpg

As you can see, Renoise does NOT send those notes anywhere. It’s not a question of having enough keys on my hardware. Renoise simply doesn’t do, what it’s supposed to do: Act as a proper DAW and transmit received midi-notes to it’s assigned targets.

By definition the full note range starts at 0 (C-0) and goes up to 127 (G-10): https://www.midi.org/specifications/item/table-1-summary-of-midi-message

Obviously Renoise implements this standard partially but not all the way to it’s upper end.

2bit: also see thread -> http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/topic/39904-nobug-key-120-still-does-not-get-through-to-midi-instrumentfx/

2Bit, like I said, there’s no way around it.

2Bit, like I said, there’s no way around it.

You got this right: If no one ever asks, nothing will be changed.

And since the last answer is seemingly three (!) years old, i would like to hear a proper response and not some “it cannot be done because of reasons”. That’s an answer i would expect of Steinberg.

Well, it was suggested that all scripters use the NOTE_OFF constant instead of note_value = 120, “in case it will ever be changed”, however if the devs themselves didn’t follow that suggestion everywhere or used the fact that the max note is 119, it would require quite a bit of a rewrite just to get this little thing working.