Redux - Repeater goes out of sync with DAW's BPM.

Hi!

I don’t know if maybe I’m overlooking some BPM sync functionality within Redux but the issue is: I would feed audio in from another track in my DAW through Redux’s #Line Input so that I could use the Repeater effect over it. But as I dialed in different BPM values in the DAW, the repetitions would go out of sync, like, completely messed up… 1/4s don’t actually follow repeat the straight beat it captured over and over, etc., even when the indicators “Even” and “1/4” are clearly selected in the effect GUI, as shown in the attached file.

No attached file?

Hmm…shouldn’t matter much, perhaps more important to point out which DAW

No attached file?

Hmm…shouldn’t matter much, perhaps more important to point out which DAW

I’m using Ableton Live 9.5 64 bits.

OK, I just tried Live 9.7 with Redux, using Line-in + a delay device. Fed it a piece of audio at 126 bpm and tried adjusting the tempo.

And indeed, the repeater drifts from the host tempo each time the buffer is repeated - and yes, I’d also expect these intervals to be precisely aligned, even as you’re changing the tempo on the fly.

I just checked with Renoise btw., same result there.

Note that the repeater device is a pretty raw effect, not doing any fancy time-stretching but simply outputting the buffer contents at scheduled intervals.

And so, as the actual content of the buffer is never modified, changing the tempo will result in all sorts of skewed rhythms - not necessarily a bad thing, but definitely a bit hard to control with this drifting business.

Maybe because of the latency from the signal being routed through line input perhaps?

@TheBellows: I checked without line input, and the same thing happens there. It’s definitely the scheduling in the DSP thatsomehow gets messed up when automating the tempo.

I’m glad it came about (in my case) as a happy accident… because what I was really looking for was indeed that glitchy out-of-sync repeat at say 1/128 or 1/64 straight dot or triplet assigned to a midi CC button. What I was indeed considering is the fact that I’d maybe use it as a “to the floor” repeat tool in the future. Thanks!

Now I’m afraid it will be fixed. :wacko:

Now I’m afraid it will be fixed. :wacko:

There’s always the deprecated ‘stutter’ device;

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> true

copy & paste quoted into the effects section.

There’s always the deprecated ‘stutter’ device;

copy & paste quoted into the effects section.

Does that work in Redux? And… what kind of stutter does it actually do?

Does that work in Redux? And… what kind of stutter does it actually do?

Yes it works in Redux, why not try and see for yourself / what it does exactly?