#76 m.arthur

m.arthur

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Interests:EBM, IDM, industrial, radiophonic & beyond

Posted 09 February 2018 - 17:22

I'm having a bit of WTF moment here.  They cannot be serious about this... Bitwig doesn't have a takes system?  If you record a loop it just overwrites the previous loop!  I googled "how to choose a take" because I couldn't figure out how to choose one, and the reason seems to be simply that there are no takes.  You can overwrite or overdub and that's it.  What in the name of fuck!  I am just absolutely floored, how can this be real?  Even fucking Garageband has takes!

edit: Oh my god it's true, it's on the feature wishlist:

This software is 4 years old... this is not a good sign.

You do realize Ableton doesn't have a takes system, either.... but your upset with Bitwig for not having it? How old is Ableton?

And in what universe do you live that you just assume any DAW includes a Takes system? They've been slowly added to various DAWs over the past 10 years, yes. But your level of entitlement here, you'd think including a Takes system was the same as, say, allowing VST plugins to be used. 

Ableton folks have been asking for it for years, no dice. Bitwig, it's still a baby, 4 years is nothing. It's only the old-school, more "traditional" DAWs that have takes -- Logic, ProTools, Studio One. Oh, and Reason has it, that's cool.

Ableton also lacks Bounce in Place despite every other DAW having this feature by now....there's always SOMETHING missing, is my point. It's how the DAW world works. None of them are perfect. But your WTF / OH MY GOD moment about Bitwig, the newest of all the DAWs out there, not having this particular feature... you should probably just relax. Features get rolled out slowly, or not at all. Business as usual. Bitwig wasn't born fully formed. 

Edited by m.arthur, 09 February 2018 - 17:27.

music composition services: holloway.media

old-school industrial music:  dead when i found her

#77 Trackerman

Trackerman

Composes without Wires burns Directly from Brain to DVD that is already in Store Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3218 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 20:59

For takes, you are supposed to use that clips. Never used it, you know what I mean. Also if you need takes, lameness is around.

EDIT: Just joking of course. Do you know that moment when you are playing something really nice, AND THEN YOU HAVE TO THINK ABOUT ENABLING RECORD, and immediately your playing sounds like shit? It is some kind of psychological effect, I hate that. In Renoise, it is the maximum, since quantization sounds borderline usually. I wish there was such "always on" midi listening in Renoise and bitwig just like in Ableton 10.

Edited by ffx, 10 February 2018 - 09:06.

#78 Carbonthief

Carbonthief

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 21:24

You do realize Ableton doesn't have a takes system, either.... but your upset with Bitwig for not having it? How old is Ableton?

And in what universe do you live that you just assume any DAW includes a Takes system? They've been slowly added to various DAWs over the past 10 years, yes. But your level of entitlement here, you'd think including a Takes system was the same as, say, allowing VST plugins to be used. 

Ableton folks have been asking for it for years, no dice. Bitwig, it's still a baby, 4 years is nothing. It's only the old-school, more "traditional" DAWs that have takes -- Logic, ProTools, Studio One. Oh, and Reason has it, that's cool.

Ableton also lacks Bounce in Place despite every other DAW having this feature by now....there's always SOMETHING missing, is my point. It's how the DAW world works. None of them are perfect. But your WTF / OH MY GOD moment about Bitwig, the newest of all the DAWs out there, not having this particular feature... you should probably just relax. Features get rolled out slowly, or not at all. Business as usual. Bitwig wasn't born fully formed. 

I've never used Ableton Live, but I've used Garageband, Logic, Cubase, Reaper, and some others I'm probably forgetting.  I had literally never used a DAW that did not have one (excluding Renoise because it's a tracker) so it was quite shocking to me.  I don't understand the point of view in which this is not a fundamentally basic feature at all.  This is like a word processor not having spell check level bizarre to me.  This is knee capping one the most powerful advantages computers have over older recording methods.  I don't buy the Bitwig is new and not fully formed excuse, because it is absolutely not new anymore.  We're way past version 2.  From the features that were just announced, it looks like they are prioritizing flashy new features over implementing the laundry list of basic stuff, and it's not a good look to me.

#79 Trackerman

Trackerman

Composes without Wires burns Directly from Brain to DVD that is already in Store Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3218 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:08

Beta 3 is there, just replace 2 with 3 in url. So far I can only see that phase 4 was heavily accelerated. Such optimizations seem to take time.

Edited by ffx, 10 February 2018 - 09:09.