Pattern automations

Dumb question, but here goes. I am trying to automate the rate on the lofimat plugin. I have my controller hooked up and working (live) but when I record the automation, it does not play back, despite the fact that I can see the CC values recorded in the pattern. It just remains at the setting the controller is at. Is there some box I need to select in order to get it to play back?

try recording the automation into an automation lane instead of as commands in the pattern

Whether command go into the pattern or automation, they should both work. Especially since you’re saying that you can tweak the value in realtime.

Perhaps you have disabled “Record MIDI mapped parameters” in the MIDI mapping dialog?

3.0_midimapping.png

It is working under the “edit” tab, but not under the “samples” tab, though the record midi option is selected. Are you not able to apply automations to effects applied to the sample rather than the track?
I’m trying not to get scared back into Live, but this does not seem too user friendly for a non-computer guy like myself.

It is working under the “edit” tab, but not under the “samples” tab, though the record midi option is selected. Are you not able to apply automations to effects applied to the sample rather than the track?

Ah, now I get it. Instrument macros make this possible - I’ll explain how to set it up, but a bit of background info first:

If you look closely at the tabs, the first two (Edit and Mix) are the “song”, and the others refer to whichever instrument that is selected.

And one main difference between Renoise and, well, not just Live but pretty much any other DAW, is that you can use the same instrument in any number of tracks.

So in order to automate something (and automation exists in a track), you have to connect the instrument to a track first.

This the purpose of the Instr. Macro device (or the Instr. Automation / MIDI device, in case you’re dealing with plugins or external gear).

Add such a device to a track and you can automate (tweak AND record) the changes you make.

So, in your case, head into the instrument and, if it’s not already visible, reveal the macro panel by clicking the button (top left corner).

Also, check the instructions in the Renoise WIKI: http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Sampler#Macros on how to set this up.

Once you have configured the macro, switch back to the Edit tab and add an Instr. Macro device in the DSP panel.

With a bit of luck, the macro initialized using the currently selected instrument and your macro parameter is ready to be assigned to MIDI.