Does anyone here use programmable keyboards/jog wheels?

Hey,

just saw these and it caught my attention: could it be a perfect companion in Renoise for getting rid of multiple key shortcuts and mouse in you workflow?

Has anyone tried any of these things?

Looks like it would be possible to work in Renoise like with a Akai MPC style sampler (jog wheel for zooming and controlling cursor) and to have lots of shortcuts assigned to a single key/button press.

Any opinions or suggestions?

71ptTn8JxnL.AC_UL160_SR160,160.jpg 61yjkiWN1ML.AC_UL160_SR160,160.jpg 161864.jpg

I use midi controllers for such things, a small Akai LPD8 for triggering different global view presets with the 8 pads and using the dials for scrolling through the instrument list, pattern lines, pattern tracks etcetera. Jog-wheel could be helpful zooming into a sample, but the mouse scrollwheel suffices. Might be cool though, not familiar with the devices above.

I’ve been thinking about getting a Korg NanoPAD 2 for way too long after have tried my friend’sKorg nanoKEY 2. They are a bit plastic but dirtcheap and works.

Would be perfect for my laptop setup, I also got aNovation Remote 25SL Compact but it’s rather shiet and just doesn’t work as intended, very disappointed with my purchase.

50€for a Korg nanoPAD 2 :dribble:

Yes, but there are lots of functions which are not MIDI mappable, but can have a keyboard shortcut for them. So this is where the these Macro keyboards/controllers should come on the scene.

They doesn’t work on MIDI, but they allow you to assign different keyboard combinations to a single button, like one button for Save instead of Ctrl+S etc.

I can imagine a lot of potential for this kind of device in my Renoise workflow, but they’re a bit pricey, I really don’t want to buy it straight away and as they are generally used by video editors, I couldn’t find any reviews by music producers on it.

Since Renoise is a DAW, based on heavy keyboard usage, I thought that maybe somebody has some experience with these things here already :slight_smile:

I use midi controllers for such things, a small Akai LPD8 for triggering different global view presets with the 8 pads and using the dials for scrolling through the instrument list, pattern lines, pattern tracks etcetera. Jog-wheel could be helpful zooming into a sample, but the mouse scrollwheel suffices. Might be cool though, not familiar with the devices above.