Photo

Key tracker: possible to trigger note off?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 boonier

boonier

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 17:45

I need to trigger a LFO reset on note off, is it possible with the key tracker, or combination of meta devices?

cheers

#2 danoise

danoise

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Renoise Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6113 posts
  • Interests:wildlife + urban trekking

Posted 12 February 2017 - 18:58

I don't think there's a way to directly track a note-off - definitely a nice idea for the key-tracker. 

But I can think of a workaround: you could always sequence a "dummy instrument" and track that as well. So every time you need the LFO to do something, enter a dummy note. If you need both note-on/note-off tracking, you could combine their signals using a meta-mixer which in turn is connected to the LFO device. 

That approach will work fine when composing, although for realtime/live playback it won't help you so much. 

Tracking with Stuff. API wishlist | Soundcloud

#3 boonier

boonier

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:42

That's a good work around, true.

Fyi I was looking to setup pseudo modulation in the sampler effects lane - to create a series modulation chain - by mimicking an ADSR env with two custom lfos, so that when the key was released, I could trigger the 'release' lfo that controlled the cutoff for an end chain filter. I would have to do this polyphonically for each sample, i.e. have a chain dedicated for each sample, which would get quite expensive quickly.

To be honest I think it's not such a problem to just use one LFO in one shot mode for now. Hopefully we have something like sample groups in the pipeline that will do this quite neatly ;)

#4 danoise

danoise

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Renoise Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6113 posts
  • Interests:wildlife + urban trekking

Posted 14 February 2017 - 20:12

I would have to do this polyphonically for each sample, i.e. have a chain dedicated for each sample, which would get quite expensive quickly.

Yes, but not *that* expensive. Renoise DSPs are pretty light on the CPU. It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how to make each sample *actually* process independently. 

For example, imagine the simple case where you hit the same note multiple times? The only way I could see this triggering the same sample would be by cycling through a bunch of stacked samples. Even then, as you cycle through them, with a bit of a release stage, the first one might still be playing as you've gone full circle (cycle?). Perhaps useful in very specific cases but otherwise not. 

Still, I often use both polyphonic modulation and monophonic sample effects in my instruments. And I think regular effects are great - they often do a better job at encapsulating, framing the sound somehow...

Tracking with Stuff. API wishlist | Soundcloud