Renoise causing ASIO issues in Reaper?

Hello all,

I am having an issue:

When I have Renoise open at the same time as Reaper, I lose ASIO

This conflict does not happen when I have Reaper open with other programs like Soundforge (for example).

Any ideas? Is this a known issue?

Does it have anything to do with Renoise not releasing audio in the background when switching back and forth? Any help is very appreciated!

ASIO is able to offer improved performance and lower latency because it provides the application with a more direct signal path and lower level access to the audio hardware.

This typically comes with the limitation that only a single application may utilise the ASIO driver at any given time, basically ‘locking’ the driver.

There are various workarounds and alternate ‘multi-client’ drivers out there, even a driver/wrapper from Steinberg themselves, but I don’t know how stable any of them are.

Anyway… My guess is that you have both Renoise and Reaper set to use ASIO, which are clashing and fighting for lower level access to the hardware, but Soundforge is probably just using the default Windows driver or DirectSound?

In my experience, it’s usually fine to have one application running ASIO and everything else using DirectSound.

hmmm…I didn’t have the problem when I was running a Focusrite interface…it seems to have surfaced after switching to steinberg. I’ve contacted them and they suggested firmware etc., but to no avail…they also suggested the ‘release audio in background’ thing, but I don’t see that as an option anywhere in renoise.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I’ll try that.