Duplex: "Pass unhandled MIDI messages to Renoise" doesn't

Hey,

I’m a new user to Renoise and got my first problem, that I’m not able to solve - maybe I did something wrong?

Description:

I use the renoise tool “Duplex” to connect my midi controller (controller name: Akai APC40, Renoise runs on Linux). In the Duplex preferences I checked the ceckbox “Pass unhandled MIDI messages to Renoise” but it seems to have no effect.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Launch Renoise

2. physically connect a MIDI-controller (e.g. the APC40)

3. Start Duplex: Tools -> Duplex -> select any template that uses less buttons than the hardware MIDI-controller e.g. APC40

4. in the Duplex Browser: Select the Midi-Controller as In- and Out-device.

5. in the Duplex Browser: Settings -> check checkbox “Pass unhandled MIDI messages to Renoise”

6. activate MIDI-Mapping (=Learn Mode) in Renoise and select any parameter of a plugin (=red areas).

7. press a button on the MIDI-controller that is not used by Duplex

Expected results:

The pressed button on the MIDI-controller should be mapped to the selected plugin parameter.

Actual results:

Pressed button is not mapped to the selected plugin parameter.

However, the MIDI-Monitor of Renoise shows the MIDI message of the pressed button (independently from the checkbox “Pass unhandled MIDI messages to Renoise”).

My current workaround:

I use Duplex to connect my controller. I make a second connection via Jack (or alternatively via Renoise Preferences/MIDI/In device X: my controller). Now I can also use the “MIDI MAPPING” of Renoise to map buttons. But than a button used by Duplex also triggers a sample sound of the currently selected instrument. So it’s not really a useful workaround (especially as I would need to use Renoise+Duplex for live performance).

Any suggestion/idea is welcome!

cheers,

jrod

Thanks for reporting - I’ve created a ticket on github

I just tried, but wasn’t able to recreate this issue here.

I wonder if you have enabled the OSC server in Renoise? The ability to create native MIDI messages from a tool relies on that component.

Unfortunately, Duplex doesn’t currently check if the server is running - right now it just displays an instruction once - but I know how easily those gets dismissed.

Edit: there’s a new version (v1.02) which tries to detect if the server is running. Give this release a try?

Sorry for long inactivity.

Indeed, I didn’t realize that I have to activate the OSC server in the Renoise preferences.

I activated the OSC server and installed the most current stable version of Duplex (v.1.05).

Now unhandled midi messages are successfully passed to Renoise.

However, I still had the problem, when pressing a button on the midi controller, not only Duplex responded, but also a note in Renoise was triggered. The solution was to disable the midi-controller in the Renoise preferences (Edit -> Preferences -> Midi -> In device C: None).

Now everything works for me and I can start making noise :badteethslayer: Thanks for your support! :walkman: