Won't Play Volume

I just downloaded and installed the program and when I load one of the sample songs (or import my own file) and hit play, everything appears to be working but no volume plays and I can’t hear anything. I don’t have the volume turned down so I’m not sure if my Mac is having an issue or if it’s the program. Help would be appreciated.

What audio device is selected in Renoise?

Hi all,

Similar issue for me in windows 7

My imported wav file played to begin with, but as soon as I selected a vst all volume disappeared. I tried other effects and undid every action back to the original import - stil no volume.

Tried both direct sound and asio device options - no volume.

Restarted renoise made a different import - again no volume. Volume sliders are up. Everything else on pc including Audacity and Reaper with the same vst’s working fine

Hi all,

Similar issue for me in windows 7

My imported wav file played to begin with, but as soon as I selected a vst all volume disappeared. I tried other effects and undid every action back to the original import - stil no volume.

There’s no volume when you are playing the instrument using the QWERTY keyboard (or via MIDI for that matter) ?

Or is it silent when you are playing your song, containing notes that trigger the instrument?

For keyboard input, you need to check if you are in edit mode (Escape). A red border around the pattern editor indicates that this mode is enabled.

Try disabling edit mode and hit some keys. You can also listen to notes entered while in edit mode, but - depending on the position of the input cursor - a keypress might write volume (or something else) to the pattern. So in edit mode, you need to ensure that you’re actually located in a sample column.

When playing a song containing notes, ensure that the notes doesn’t have 00 as volume. This could (obviously) set them to play silently.

Perhaps you’ve set Keyboard Velocity to 0 by accident?

Thank you.

I’m think I’m under the illusion that renoise is a DAW where when I press play/spacebar I cantry out various third party vst effects such as echo, delay, reverb etc and hear how they effect the sound of a already recorded stereo wav track in realtime.

To be fair I could hear the freshly imported track initially this way, but then nothing…until

I’ve just watched a youtube tutorial where the guy is using the z key to listen to samples.

Indeed I can play and hear an entire track if I wished holding down the z key :smiley:

I’m not at all interested in composing from samples and holding down z keys etc so maybe renoise isn’t for me?

I’m not at all interested in composing from samples and holding down z keys etc so maybe renoise isn’t for me?

Doesn’t really sound like it, no. I mean, plenty of people are not using samples in Renoise… you don’t have to use the software in such a way, just because it’s got a lot of oomph in this department.

One thing I would try before deciding that Renoise isn’t meant for you is the autoseek feature (can be enabled on any sample via the Sample Properties). It basically allows you to put down a sample in the beginning of the song and then you can play the song from any position and the sample will resume/pick up playback. This is probably what you’re looking for - a bit like a audiotrack in a traditional DAW…but actually, it’s way more than that as it supports all the sample mangling effects as well (glide, reverse, retrig etc.).

Thank you I appreciate the suggestion but just navigating the interface to find anything has been winding me up from the offset and I find the literature tough going, Having to search on google and then edit a file just to read the fonts wasn’t an auspicious beginning.

I can tell that renoise isnot going to be my cup of tea. :smiley:

Fair play to everyone here that gets on with it.

I think the introduction video’s ( https://www.youtube.com/user/LearnRenoise/videos ) are a much better / quicker way to get rolling, compared to learning through the manual.