Assign Particular Keys to Particular Tracks?

Is it possible to make Renoise always drop certain keys in an instrument into certain tracks in the pattern editor?

For example, if I had a kickdrum assigned to C4, a hihiat assigned to D4 and a snare assigned to E4, to have all the C4 keypresses recorded into track 1, all the D4 keypresses recorded into track 2 and all the E4 keypresses recorded into track 3?

Only when it rains

You can do it on a per-instrument basis, through the options in the Sampler > MIDI Input tab. Basically we’re talking MIDI note split maps.

Also my tool xRules has some promise here, for doing it on the fly and on a per-sample basis.Lemme just see what I can come up with…

O.K, so I can send each of the midi controllers to separate channels, and assign those channels to tracks, but I wont be able to do the MIDI note split map on just one MIDI instrument without the xrules tool? (like each of the octaves on a midi keyboard going to a separate channel, and then dropping keypresses from each channel into separate tracks).

Or is the MIDI note split maps option only availiable in 3.1? I have 3.0

O.K, so I can send each of the midi controllers to separate channels, and assign those channels to tracks, but I wont be able to do the MIDI note split map on just one MIDI instrument without the xrules tool? (like each of the octaves on a midi keyboard going to a separate channel, and then dropping keypresses from each channel into separate tracks).

Yeah, that’s essentially it. You can “split” a MIDI controller to play multiple instruments, but a single instrument can’t be controlled using multiple controllers.

There is no difference between 3.0 and 3.1 when it comes to this feature.

Renoise scripting/tools can be as surgical as we need them to be… as long as we’re talking incoming “realtime MIDI” there aren’t many limitations to think of.

NB: last week, I found a small issue in xRules that needs fixing, so tell me if you’re interested in using a newer version of this tool.

O.K, so I can split a MIDI controller to play multiple instruments.

Sorry to bug you with this again, but how exactly would I go about doing so?

Ive been through the MIDI section of the manual but I cant find it.

Sorry to bug you with this again, but how exactly would I go about doing so?

Head into the instruments “Sampler > Midi input” tab. Here you can define which channel and/or note range that the instrument should respond to.

So to make a split between, say, B3 and C4 you would define one instrument as having the C0-B3 range, and another having the C-4 and B-9.

Of course, they need to be set to the right channel as well, but if you’re not planning to use this feature just leave it at the default.

Got it. Thanks for the help