Portamento for samples?

Hi,

I’ve been using the renoise demo for the past few weeks, and so far it’s awesome, maybe even my new music software of choice, except I can’t work out how to add portamento to a sample. Is this possible, and if so, how?

the pitch bend way: you can set up pitch bend to the pitch modulation, then automate graphically or via meta devices.

the tracker way: you can use pattern effect commands to slide up, down or to glide towards a note. the Uxx, Dxx or Gxx effect commands, with xx being a speed of choice.

both ways work very differently in concept. if you wish portamento then the Gxx command should do what you want. for keyjazz or recording purposes the sample instruments have a mono mode with a glide value that can be configured. there are even more obscure ways, like using absolute pitch modulation with keytrackers and interpolation, making constant time portamento possible but killing polyphony.

the pitch bend way: you can set up pitch bend to the pitch modulation, then automate graphically or via meta devices.

the tracker way: you can use pattern effect commands to slide up, down or to glide towards a note. the Uxx, Dxx or Gxx effect commands, with xx being a speed of choice.

both ways work very differently in concept. if you wish portamento then the Gxx command should do what you want. for keyjazz or recording purposes the sample instruments have a mono mode with a glide value that can be configured. there are even more obscure ways, like using absolute pitch modulation with keytrackers and interpolation, making constant time portamento possible but killing polyphony.

how would I use the Gxx command? (Do you use it on the first note, the last note, in-between them, both?)

the first note is triggered normally. the second note has to be in the same track/column. It must have the Gxx command in its effects column (or in the rightmost effects column that acts for all note columns at once I think). The xx needs to be replaced with the wanted speed, like using G10 will glide with speed 16 (yes its hex). Then you enter after the G10 command another Gxx command in each line where the pitch shall slide. Using G00 will repeat the last issued glide speed. Issuing a note without any G comand will trigger without glide, any subsequent notes with Gxx will set a new glide target.

If you want to see it in action quickly, set an instrument to mono mode with the G set to like G10 or G20, and then record a legato line (melody where the last note is always held at least for a short time when a new one is triggered, so overlapping) - renoise will auto set Gxx commands to the pattern data.

it might sound complicated first, but this is how portamento works in trackers.

the first note is triggered normally. the second note has to be in the same track/column. It must have the Gxx command in its effects column (or in the rightmost effects column that acts for all note columns at once I think). The xx needs to be replaced with the wanted speed, like using G10 will glide with speed 16 (yes its hex). Then you enter after the G10 command another Gxx command in each line where the pitch shall slide. Using G00 will repeat the last issued glide speed. Issuing a note without any G comand will trigger without glide, any subsequent notes with Gxx will set a new glide target.

If you want to see it in action quickly, set an instrument to mono mode with the G set to like G10 or G20, and then record a legato line (melody where the last note is always held at least for a short time when a new one is triggered, so overlapping) - renoise will auto set Gxx commands to the pattern data.

it might sound complicated first, but this is how portamento works in trackers.

can you provide a screenshot? I’m kinda confused.

Maybe a simple example might help illustrate the GXX command :slight_smile:

Maybe a simple example might help illustrate the GXX command :slight_smile:

Ah, thank you. I understand now.

https://youtu.be/35vWGUhPG4A?t=122

also the other videos on that channel are worth watching. expecially the tracker interface ones which highlight features special to trackers and renoise.