sampling from video files

Can renoise sample from video files?

I don’t think directly.

What I do when I want sounds from video files is I watch in a video player noting down the time code ranges where the samples are I want to use. Then I run a converter to bring the video sound from video to wav or flac, sometimes only the relevant time ranges if the video is long. Then I cut them inside renoise.

Probably dedicated video editing software can export snips of audio right away - like you just mark a range on the audio track and export it for renoise?

You should know though that crappy quality codecs reduce the audio quality…it might not be obvious when watching the video, but when you work with samples from it and amplify, filter, process them etc. in ways that are supposed to bring up details - you will soon notice how the audio codec omits details that you don’t hear right away, replacing them with mumbo jumbo warble shit. That’s why I’d never try to use a breakbeat cut from a YT Video or so…

I just like 20 minutes ago loaded an MP4 file (which i downloaded from YouTube with a YouTube downloader in Firefox) into Renoise to do just that, it treated it just like an audio file and ignored the video track. Can’t say re: other video formats.

http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Disk_Browser#Supported_Formats_For_Sample_Importing

If your audio interface offers some kind of loopback functionality, either built in or just by routing an output to input, you can use that to record any audio coming from your computer. And on OS X there’s a program called loopback that does exactly that.

VLC Media Player allows you to convert video files from one format to another including audio only: MP3, WAV, etc which you can then import into Renoise as normal.

If you are on Windows you might want to install the latest version of Quicktime for improved format support.

for youtube audio conversion I use the following link as my soundcard doesn’t have a mix option in the directsound drivers;

http://www.listentoyoutube.com/

as said above the audio will be lossy because of compression, you could also do the oldschool way of the fist and sample from vhs recorder rca outs to your soundcard in’s :wink: .

Under OSX, you can use the old quicktime player 7 (or other tools) to separate the audio stream from video stream, so no recompression or recording, just having the original audio data. Often its a m4a audio stream in youtube videos at 128kbit-192kbit, which is quite good quality… AFAIK Renoise supports m4a.

Under Linux I use avconv/ffmpeg for media file conversions. Command line tool without gui, but very powerful, and it knows how to convert between almost anything audio/video if you have the codecs installed. I believe ffmpeg also comes with win or mac downloads.

There also is a command line youtube downloader script called “youtube-dl” that will fetch video files from youtube links, or from many other video player sites. This will work offline and deliver you the original video (and audio…) data without any lossy mp3 conversion in the chain like those youtubeloader sites normally do. It needs to be kept up to date to always work.

Soudcard loopback is for lusers not owning their data. HAHa!

Soudcard loopback is for lusers not owning their data. HAHa!

It’s also for people who don’t want to bother with file conversion software, remembering time points, etc etc. You set an output, record from the input… just a normal recording workflow :slight_smile:

Audacity can now once again record any sound playing back on the computer. It was updated with a new way to do it.

I just tried to record the sound of other applications like Firefox etc with Renoise using Rogue Amoeba Loopback. Wonderfully, Logic Pro and Bitwig Studio have done beautiful recording, but why all the sounds recorded by Renoise mixed with low and middle frequency components like rumble noise. Hmm?

By the way, at least on Mac you can open mp4 files directly into Renoise sample and you can extract only long soundtracks.

Had no idea you could just import mp4 into Renoise. Just tried it on Windows 7 64bit Renoise 3.1.1.

Perfect. Very cool.

My usual path is either to call ffmpeg at the command line to convert mp4 into mp3 (handy for stuff pulled from YouTube) or use Reaper (which I find is better than Renoise for manipulating audio files).

Reaper will play and export video as well. Renoise + Reaper make for an amazing and comparatively inexpensive super-combo for audio production.

You might wanna look into this one, too:

http://vidplayvst.com/index.htm