#1 Redman

Redman

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Big fluffy clouds

Posted 02 April 2017 - 05:18

How much time would you say you spend learning the technical aspect of electronic music i.e processing, sound design, etc, over the actual composition of music itself?

I'm always blown away when I listen to really impressive sound design for example, so I try to research and learn as much I to understand and improve [even though I'm a lazy fuck who buys books and never reads them  <_< ]. Fortunately, well unfortunately really, for me though I don't have a job so I can afford to spend a lot of time reading and studying. But for the average music maker who does have a 9 to 5. How much would you say you do of each? 

#2 Fsus4

Fsus4

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 12:49

This one is easy to answer for me:
In general it's a 1:3 ratio, for every hour I spend composing music there are 3 hours doing research, demoing, experimenting, browsing patches, tweaking patches, mixing, mastering, etc.

However, I'm working quite hard 50-60 hours a week and also have family and kids, so... there's little time left for my personal hobbies/recreation. I spend at best 2-4 hours a week in my studio these days, that's all there's time for. So, 1/4 composing/producing, 3/4 tweaking and exploring. 

That's the funny story of life: when I was 20, I had lots of time to spend on music making, but limited skills and no studio with expensive gear. Today when I'm 40 I have the proper skills and a studio with lots of expensive gear, but no time.  :rolleyes:  

Edited by Fsus4, 02 April 2017 - 13:01.

• beviz, oneunkind and Redman like this

#3 RachmanEnough

RachmanEnough

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 13:51

I'm fulltime employed atm, so it is 90% producing (randomly) and 10% researching for me.

Needless to say, that this approach encourages the output of a lot of noise/bullshit.