Composing / Studying Time Comparision

How much time would you say you spend learning the technical aspect of electronic music i.e processing, sound design, etc, over the actual composition of music itself?

I’m always blown away when I listen to really impressive sound design for example, so I try to research and learn as much I to understand and improve [even though I’m a lazy fuck who buys books and never reads them <_<]. Fortunately, well unfortunately really, for me though I don’t have a job so I can afford to spend a lot of time reading and studying. But for the average music maker who does have a 9 to 5. How much would you say you do of each?

This one is easy to answer for me:
In general it’s a 1:3 ratio, for every hour I spend composing music there are3 hours doing research, demoing, experimenting, browsing patches,tweaking patches, mixing, mastering,etc.

However, I’m working quite hard 50-60 hours a week and also have family and kids, so… there’s little time left for my personal hobbies/recreation. Ispend at best2-4 hours a week in my studio these days,that’s all there’s time for.So, 1/4 composing/producing, 3/4tweaking and exploring.

That’s the funny story of life: when I was 20, I had lots of time to spend on music making, but limited skillsand nostudio with expensive gear. Today when I’m 40 I have the properskills and astudio with lots of expensive gear, but no time. :rolleyes:

I’m fulltime employed atm, so it is 90% producing (randomly) and 10% researching for me.

Needless to say, that this approach encourages the output of a lot of noise/bullshit.