I have been thinking of other alternatives to be able to correct all the class of values written in the pattern editor (notes, instruments, volume, panning, delay, effects values, etc).
I propose this method, or similar, to be able to change the indicated values with the mouse pointer:
- Pointing with the mouse pointer and SHIFT + left click mouse and displace up or down to change the value... and also
- Pointing with the mouse pointer and SHIFT + mouse wheel up or down to change the value
A example: change the volume value 7F to 45:
- Pointing with the mouse pointer the area of volume value "7F"
- SHIFT + left click mouse and displace down to change the value until "45".
This would serve to make punctual corrections very quickly, jumping even between tracks and groups like a bullet. I put "SHIFT" because CTRL and ALT are used for other purposes.
Perhaps even this method would be used to combine it with the multiple selection, to be able to change several values of the same type. Would be great!
With the keyboard we can compose very fast writing values, but when it is necessary to jump between tracks in a process of random value correction, the keyboard is tedious. It could be improved by using the mouse. But it also has another reason. The fact of not writing the value implies not memorizing each range of values according to their type. Go up or down with the mouse and you will find the limit and all the valid values.
The main problem that Renoise has had for the new people is precisely the variety of values and their ranges, most people do not like numbers combined with letters, is difficult to understand.. This idea would help anyone to not memorize valid values or ranges of values. It is not necessary to memorize value ranges.
Another advanced method to enter values would be as follows, I give an example to explain it:
- For enter the value: "..V30" (vibrato)
- Pointing with the mouse pointer and SHIFT + V + left click mouse and displace up. Renoise introduces the value, starting from V00, until reached V30 with the displace.
- If the value were "..VF3", pointing with the mouse pointer and SHIFT + V + left click mouse and displace down. Starting from VFF, until reached VF3...
- Same for all other values...
These methods are designed so that the composer does not have to memorize ranges of values and do not have to waste time on this matter... Values are introduced by Renoise.