Potential new user

Hi,

Firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I am an old skool user of Scream Tracker and Impulse Tracker, but haven’t made music for about 15 years.

I really want to get back into it and Renoise seems like the best thing for me, it looks a lot like the interface I am used to.

My questions are:

I don’t quite understand the model of this software - seems like there are multiple releases of various versions… can I just pay for a copy of Renoise, download it, and that is it? Or is it some kind of SaS (Software as a Service) where it’s always updating and I pay for a licence which runs out after 12 months or something? It’s very confusing reading about it.

I understand that although it’s a tracker, it may not be possible to import my old Scream Tracker or Impulse Tracker files. That’s not so much a problem in terms of samples, but is it possible to at least grab the patterns from them?

How easy is it to get hold of decent quality samples - I wrote a lot of stuff back in the day on the aforementioned programs that I’d love to use to record proper albums nowadays but the 8-bit quality of samples made them crackly and lacking in bass. What I’d really like to do is import my old tracks and replace the samples with decent quality versions, but if importing tracks is not possible, then at least good quality samples to replicate my old stuff, without having to worry about copyright… I don’t know what the laws are around this.

I think that’s all for now, maybe more questions will arise from the responses to this but I hope you guys can help me, I really want to get back into it but not sure where to start, Renoise seems to be the best place but I’m a bit lost!

Cheers,

Jeez.

I don’t quite understand the model of this software - seems like there are multiple releases of various versions… can I just pay for a copy of Renoise, download it, and that is it? Or is it some kind of SaS (Software as a Service) where it’s always updating and I pay for a licence which runs out after 12 months or something? It’s very confusing reading about it.

There only is one version: Renoise 3.1. Some people still using aolder version, but those are not supported anymore, naturally. You can try the demo 3.1 version, but I recommend to you to buy the fullsimply - no hassle with rendering etc.

There is no timeout for support. You will get updates until bought version + 1.0, so until Renoise 4.2 (not including). Also we have to tell you that updates are not that frequently. More like every 2-3 years a major update. But the versions are very solid always, much better tested and stable than other vendors.

There are lot of high quality sounds included in Renoise. Also you can use any VSTi, or import sfz files.

8-bit quality of samples made them crackly and lacking in bass

You can import most 8 bit samples in Renoise, and then use its sophisticated interpolation and band limiting options to make it sound much better.

I understand that although it’s a tracker, it may not be possible to import my old Scream Tracker or Impulse Tracker files. That’s not so much a problem in terms of samples, but is it possible to at least grab the patterns from them?

Look around this forum, I guess some people always asked that question, too. Maybe you can convert to Fasttracker first and then import to Genoise.

The info you’re looking for is at the bottom of the product page: http://renoise.com/products/renoise

Free upgrades. Your license is valid for one full version. For example, if you start with Renoise 2.7 you’ll get free updates up to and including 3.7. Our point releases pack features, not just maintenance updates. Check out our release notes and see for yourself what great value this represents.

Exclusive content. An 800+ MB collection of samples and XRNI instruments created by PureMagnetik, BeatSlaughter and Reason Lahalla will be available to you at Renoise Backstage when you become a registered user. XRNI instruments are cross-platform, multi-sample instruments unique to Renoise.

It’s possible to import Impulse Tracker II .it files into Renoise:http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Disk_Browser#Supported_Formats_For_Song_Importing