Renoise/Redux and Reason 9.5

Now that Reason will finally get VST support, what possibilities doyou seein the combination of Renoise + Reason,via ReWire, and Redux+ Reason?

I’m intrigued with this new version just because it opens up redux to reasons rack structure, but 369,- for a side daw? No thanks, …reason essentials cutback version though is 69,-, if that also supports vst(i)'s I’ll demo it for sure.

Maybe the price will becomemuch lower, if they see more customers and net revenue coming in that way. We’ll see how well the VST support will land in 2017 and what’snext,now thatPropellerheads are backed bythe venture capitalist company Verdane.

From a sound design perspective, I’ll probably load up all my old Combinator patches (I’ve designed quite a lot of them) and see what new stuff I can do bybringing my VST collection to the Combinators. As the CEO says in that video, the props were always interested in building instruments and the Reason rack was about making it possible to buildsuper-instrument. That’s my focus as well: building interesting loops and stuff, export them, and then use them in other DAWs.

Anannoying thing about the Reason 9.5 version is that one can’t run the VST stuff in Reason when it’s rewired as a slave to Renoise (the VST is then disabled). But maybe they’ll fix that for the future versions coming after 9.5.

I think, its pretty powerful. You can now combine old reason devices, rack extensions and vsts and no rewire is needed.

I’m intrigued with this new version just because it opens up redux to reasons rack structure, but 369,- for a side daw? No thanks, …reason essentials cutback version though is 69,-, if that also supports vst(i)'s I’ll demo it for sure.

hm compared to other “big” daws 369eu seems to be a fair price tbh, especially if the pitch correction tool is technically same league as melodyne its almost a nobrainer for gettin a pitchcorrection plus a daw for that price ;D

The pitch correction is not even in the same ball park as Melodyne, maybe one of the cheap Melodynes, but not Studio, not by a metric mile !!

When we speak of DAW capabilities, I tend to differentiate between these two categories based on primary functions:

1. protoyping/sequencing/sound-design

2. arranging/mixing/post-processing

Renoisestands inthefirst categories of DAWs for me, and so doesBitwig Studio and Reason. Generally speaking, the “songs” I save from these DAWs are mostlythe original “source files”, i.e. thereferencecontainersfor exported audio files.I have27,842 Renoise .xrns files on my HDD right now, but only about50 of those files could be classified as full length, self-contained songs. The rest is justreference containers for exported audio loops, sequences, one-shots, etc.

The Reason 9.5 version is interesting to me because now I can edit my old stuff while using the rest of my VST toolkitin the rack. Also I’ll be able to build stuff for Redux andfinallygetit within the modularframework of Reason.

For arranging/mixing/post-processing of full length songs/tracks, I don’t do that kind of stuff in Reason/Renoise/Bitwig. But that’s another story.

I honestly never thought it would happen…

Redux inside Reason is an interesting thought, it will be interesting to follow how Reason plays nicely (or not) with all the new 3rd party plugs…

I can upgrade for 129 but not sure if it’s worth it or not, afraid I wouldn’t end up using it, though there are lots of things I like about Reason – mostly the modular / cable approach to building instruments and effects chains.

Hmm guys,

I don’t know. Nice to see reason FINALLY gets vst :stuck_out_tongue: it surely has some really good tone generation and fx. But when it comes to workflow, gui and editing, this daw feels to me like from the last century… Those colorful mini guis look good at first thought, but will only lead into distraction later. The editor is pure horror. My 3 cents…

So if you ask me about the direction, reason should take : it should turn into a vst instead,cutting off all editors etc. Maybe in combination with a helper tool like ddmf sendit.

But nobody needs reasons daw capabilities these days…

I also wish they’d port Reason or rather the REs to VST. Since I’ve started using Renoise, it kinda annoys me using the Reason sequencer, but also piano rolls in general.

Man, time sure flys by fast! :slight_smile:

https://forum.renoise.com/t/renoisere-rack-extension/37618

If only it has a REASONable price. :smashed: