Setting an LFO to trigger drum samples. Is it possible?

I basically want to do what’s been done in this video.

The guy is using a sample and hold LFO to randomly trigger each pad on the Kong Drum Pad in Reason, with each pad having been assigned a different drum slice. I’ve been trying to figure out if I can set something like this up in Renoise somehow but there’s no drum pad in Renoise, and I don’t have a drum pad vst (if there even is such a thing).

Can it be done?

Nope. The LFO is a meta-device, so it’s able to manipulate device parameters - but as there are no device parameters which say ‘trigger a sample here’, I can’t think of a way to achieve the exact same thing.

However, if you look beyond that, all that’s really happening in that video is that you have a pool of samples being triggered randomly.

And this is definitely possible in a lot of different ways.

Ah, ok then.

Yeah I’m familiar with some of the random triggering techniques alright,it’s just that the triggering of the slices is still determined by the position of the notes on the pattern lines. I thought that if I could use an LFO then the triggering would be determined by the LFO frequency, which could be modulated by another LFO.I had a doofer made up just for that. It basically modulatesthe frequency of two random LFO’s in integer multiples of 96LPC (to match the song setting) which are then set to both the X & Y axises of an XY Pad, which I thought could be set to trigger sample playback and velocity (or fx parameters). Won’t be able to do that now, still might come in handy for other things.

Thanks for the quick reply. I’ve attached that doofer in a .xrns song file if you want to see it. Might be fun to mess with.

maybe you could (ab)use the inst.midi meta device, triggering a midi processing plugin that will translate cc or similar commands to note triggers, then routed into the instrument with your drum samples.

Only question then would be to find a midi processing plugin that is capable of such translation.

maybe you could (ab)use the inst.midi meta device, triggering a midi processing plugin that will translate cc or similar commands to note triggers, then routed into the instrument with your drum samples.

Only question then would be to find a midi processing plugin that is capable of such translation.

Well I’m stumped. Been thinking about it for about 2 hours but can’t think of anything haha

one basic method might be to set up a series of samples in a track, say every 4 lines. then, tie an lfo into the volume on the track, and set it to 4 lines as well, with the random ‘waveform’. then, the volume would jump up and down at random every 4 lines. you might be able to tweak the lfo to get more or less the ‘desired result’. ymmv

I don’t have enough time to watch the video with reason but you could experiment with the maYbe command. If you enter a slice on every row in the sequencer and then add low probability on each of the slices, the beat will become unpredictable and will still be on time if it is sliced correctly.
Or even better… instead of adding the slices in the sequencer directly you could create combinations that sounds good to you in phrases (using multiple combinations of different slices, backward commands etc.) and then trigger those phrases using the maYbe command with low probability. It would be much better than simply using LFO in my opinion.

I recently found a non-native solution using Reaktor’s MIDI out Block. Works well enough.

Random Overlap in Keyzone.

Lower right hand area…

LFO on * Instr. Macros

attachicon.gifModulation - Sample-Swapper.xrni

attachicon.gifrandom LFO breakbeat.xrns

Holy shit, Eat Me you genius you. I’ve been trying to set up a free running variable selection like the way you’ve done with the stepper device and lfo, but I’ve never actually even used the stepper device before ever. I’ve only used phrase randomisation with the Y00 command which limited me to having to create patterns with specific settings where samples were triggered every 4, 8, or 16, lines, etc. This’ll be great now for crazy random selection. Excellent.

I’ve not got a chance to check out the random LFO breakbeat file yet. But I will later. Thanks man.

Pedantic post (you’ve been warned)

Click to view contents

That’s not triggering, that’s crossfading.

The sample-swapper example is part of the Renoise factory content (look under instruments > tutorial).

All tutorials have comments which tries to explain what is going on inside the .xrni

Here is a simple technique for turning a break sample into a random break sample, perhaps not what you asked for, but anyway:

http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/files/file/658-random-sliced-beat/

1 Like

There is a way - if you use the phrase editor - make two phrases - one with a single note on first step - the other blank, no notes - then use the instr. Macro and use a LFO to modulate the Phrase Program, switching between phrase 01 and phrase 02 - but it will only switch when a note is played on the “main” sequencer

yes?