[Suggestion or Bug] Improves undo & redo on tracks and their index

R3.1.0 x64

With Renoise it is very common to use undo (Ctrl+Z) and redo (Ctrl+Y) constantly.But there is a rather annoying behavior when adding tracks or groups and then back with Undo.

What happens:

1. Start Renoise with a new start song
  2. The new song has 8 Tracks, 1 Master and 1 send. Attending the index:
  • Track 01: index 1,
  • Track 02: index 2,
  • Track 03: index 3,
  • Track 04: index 4,
  • Track 05: index 5,
  • Track 06: index 6,
  • Track 07: index 7,
  • Track 08: index 8,
  • Master: index 9
  • S01: index 10
  1. Select Track 08
  2. You insert a new track or group (Ctrl + T or Ctrl + G).Then Renoise inserts a new track (or group) with index 9 and automatically selects this track (index 9).So far everything ok! Then… Master: index 10, S01: index 11
  3. Right now Renoise has a track (or group) selected, with index 9. Remember it in your mind!
  4. Now press Undo (Ctrl + Z) just one time. Then Renoise delete the track or group, but retains the index (index 9).If a track or group was previously selected, now is the master selected.This is inconsistent behavior.I personally get very dizzy!!!

How I think I should behave:

1. Now press undo (Ctrl + Z) just one time. Then Renoise delete the track or group, but does not retain the index, it recovers the position of the last track or group, in this case the index 8, which is the index before adding the track (or group).

This situation gets even worse if you add multiple tracks from index 8 and then press undo (CTRL-Z) several times.The final selection at the end of the last Undo will end on the Track Send.Very far from the columns type track or group.This undo behavior could be corrected in a simple way, “remembering” the exact position before rectifying with undo.

I do not consider this a bug, but rather an Undo misbehavior.

Please, for the Team of Renoise, Could you point this to a possible correction for the next version of Renoise?The case is to avoid the displacement in the index when repeating undo.

The most exaggerated case:

1. Start Renoise with a new start song
  2. The new song has 8 Tracks, 1 Master and 1 send. Attending the index:
  • Track 01: index 1,
  • Track 02: index 2,
  • Track 03: index 3,
  • Track 04: index 4,
  • Track 05: index 5,
  • Track 06: index 6,
  • Track 07: index 7,
  • Track 08: index 8,
  • Master: index 9
  • S01: index 10
  1. Select Track 01 (index 01)
  2. You insert 10 tracks followed (Ctrl + T x10).
  3. Press undo 10 times (Ctrl + Z x10).
  4. Renoise ends at index 10 (S01), instead of index 1.It should end on 1!

I think this should be corrected, it is not what the user expects.Please, study this topic!

I think Redo works well. but it would also be well to review their behavior…

Seriously I think that this topic is important, since it treats a very logical behavior.Please @Taktik, @Danoise and @DBlue, check this topic to solve it in the next version of Renoise.

I’m surprised that nobody comments anything about this subject. Any Renoise composer does not use “undo” or CTRL+Z?Do not you see that the behavior is not the expected?

Anyone?

Hi,

I have a trouble with Redo/Undo function. when I use Renoise, it is no save my action.

Do you have the same trouble?

Regards

Hi,

I have a trouble with Redo/Undo function. when I use Renoise, it is no save my action.

Do you have the same trouble?

Regards

Could you describe what steps you take before you undo (or redo)?

I have only encountered problems when adding delete tracks (in undo), that the index of the tracks sequence in the pattern editor is lost, specifically by selecting the last track to the left of the master track.

Some specific operations do not respond to undo either (or redo), how can it be the “mute” of a track [ç] (or “solo”), but this case seems a correct behavior, done on purpose…

Guessing a bit here - but I have experienced, that in some cases, when using Renoise with different input locale, undo&redo shortcuts could get modified. Perhaps this only applies to German keyboard layouts, where Z and Y are swapped, I don’t know.

But it shouldn’t hurt to do a quick check with Preferences > Keys what keys the actual shortcuts are?