Mono setting for each keyzone

I cannot make Redux work for drums.
I set each drum sound to one shot, which is needed to ignore note offs, but it also keeps playing when the next note with the same value is played. This is obviously wrong as you cannot play two kicks simultaneously. The second kick is always stopping the sound of the first kick.
I cannot set the whole drum set to mono because then also the snare would stop the kick. And NNA only work when using phrases for some reason.

So, how do I set Redux to work with drums?

Break each physical element of the kit down into different mute groups.

Kick sounds in mute group 1, snare sounds in group 2, closed and open high hats in group 3, etc.

Break each physical element of the kit down into different mute groups.

Kick sounds in mute group 1, snare sounds in group 2, closed and open high hats in group 3, etc.

Unfortunately, I have more drum sounds than there are mute groups (there are only 15 mute groups).

Unfortunately, I have more drum sounds than there are mute groups (there are only 15 mute groups).

I think it does work quite well with most average kits where you typically have: kick (1), snare (2), high hat (3), low tom (4), mid tom (5), high tom (6), splash cymbal (7), ride cymbal (8), etc.

But yeah, with huge drum kits you can unfortunately run into the 15 group limit.

How many individual drums are in your kit by the way?

Are we talking about some insane stadium kit here or what?

Just curious what you’re working with, and wondering if it could still be broken down into some logical mute groups that would make sense, or to even ignore mute groups for some of the lesser used sounds.

I am sampling the drums off the JD-Xi, but you would have the same problems with other drum machines such as the TR-808 (which has 16 different sounds).

There should be a simple setting to limit the per-note polyphony to 1. (Actually, that should be the default).

Maybe this helps to clarify what I want to achieve:

“A kit consists of 26 voices and, if the lighting is right, you might even spot their names printed in faint grey above the keys. Each voice can be set to single or multi play, with the latter denoting that multiple hits are allowed; a useful feature for cymbals and other instruments suited to an accumulating decay.” (from a Sound on Sound review of the JD-Xi)

Please note also, that when a voice is set to multi, that means that a note does not mute itself, even when in a mute group. This could be important for hihats, where you want the open hihat to be cut by the closed one (hence both go into the same mute group), but you also might want allow the open hihat to be hit multiple times, so the sound can accumulate (as it would with a real cymbal).

So…how do I achieve this in Redux? :slight_smile:

Any more ideas on this anyone?