18 replies to this topic

#1 Francky

Francky

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 14:38

Hello,

Each Musician know what I'm talking about. I would like to know the processus of the choice of your name, and If you think it's definitive. And If not What do you think about the name changing (If is it a good idea... :rolleyes: )

#2 Garrett Wang

Garrett Wang

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, film and television

Posted 03 July 2017 - 14:55

You must go through a rite of passage on a vison quest to find your true name.

• Francky likes this

#3 Francky

Francky

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:14

I see what you mean, it's a long process that we have to go through. My question is what type of rite of passage do you mean ?

Thank you the answer, this is very deep !

#4 RachmanEnough

RachmanEnough

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 14:57

My soundcloud-name reflects my character, the type of music I'd like to create and the thing I love most. Moreover it is a triple-fold-word-play (if you mix German and English).

Edited by RachmanEnough, 06 July 2017 - 17:25.

• Francky likes this

#5 Francky

Francky

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 15:02

I see ! your name is original !

• RachmanEnough likes this

#6 RachmanEnough

RachmanEnough

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 17:25

Haha, thanks :badteeth:

Would call myself RachmanEnough in soundcloud, but this would be a disgrace to the real one and set the expectations much too high for the audience. :badteethslayer:

• Francky likes this

#7 Francky

Francky

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 14:43

Edit : (I didn't understand your previous post well)

Edited by Francky, 11 July 2017 - 19:58.

#8 Garrett Wang

Garrett Wang

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 22:51

If you release 8 albums under 8 different names which all begin with "AAA" then you will have a chance to be at the top of an alphabetically listed playlist.

Otherwise, you could change a name thats already stuck in peoples minds a bit. Like, for example:

Duracell > Puracell

Samsung > Bamsung

MonoSodiumGlutomate > PhonoSodiaan

• Francky likes this

#9 Francky

Francky

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 19:58

just only me can not understand the meaning of Francky said?  :blush: sad...

Excuse me Prestigerl, I'm not English. What do you want that I explain ? (I will try)

If you release 8 albums under 8 different names which all begin with "AAA" then you will have a chance to be at the top of an alphabetically listed playlist.

Otherwise, you could change a name thats already stuck in peoples minds a bit. Like, for example:

Duracell > Puracell

Samsung > Bamsung

MonoSodiumGlutomate > PhonoSodiaan

I have already heard about this when working in an enterprise which has choose "ABCONSOLE" as first name ... :rolleyes:

And I have seen to a musician named Com Truise too... :rolleyes:

#10 RachmanEnough

RachmanEnough

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 20:19

Yeah Com Truise is actually quite decent (name and musician).

Prestigerl is quite obvious a wordplay : A female artist, that is after fame. :panic:

Edited by RachmanEnough, 11 July 2017 - 20:20.

#11 Garrett Wang

Garrett Wang

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 21:17

araabMUZIK for example.

He has become quite successful.

I think a lot of As in the name can help.

I don't see too many successes beginning with say, R.

Its just something I thought over. Maybe there is no truth to it.

Name choice is such a difficult thing.

Maybe its important to think about how it will look visually.

For example ABBA, has some kind of symmetry in the logo.

Lowercase i, e, t, z, s, a, f, y, x all look pretty good in logos, but capital L or lowercase v is quite difficult to make look cool.

Think about what kind of font will be used, graffiti writing, modern type..grim metal writing etc.

To be catchy as possible, yet underground and cool, edgy.

Eyecatching, colorful. Memorable.

Use of alliteration, rhyme, assonance.

Got to have them saying your name...having your name on the tip of their tongue, in the back of their mind.

Like, they have a prompt in every day life that makes them remember your name or your lyrics.

Say your name repeatedly in every song.

Dub sirens followed by your name...Your name in a computer voice.

Radio tuning, tuning into your name, that is.

In addition to that, to be able to get up on stage and have stage presence. To be effortlessly cool and look like your really into it and know what your doing. To be able to deal with (or effortlessly ignore) drunken fools who want to spill beer on your equipment or talk to you, or about you, mid-set when you need to concentrate. Suffer fools gladly, dont care who they are...

Have a catchphrase and a sound ident...

like: "maybe its maybelline", "I'm lovin it", "just do it" but cooler.

Spell things wrong...use backwards letters like in "toys 'R' us".

A mix of uppercase and lowercase letters...use @ instead of a...stuff like that.

When you do a google search for your name...it should be at the top of the first page of results.

Some people rode someone elses name to success...

Like, there was a guy called Aesop Rock, he released a decent underground hiphop album called float, but then along came a commercial hiphop guy calling himself A$AP ROCKY...

Plus I really think you have to do all that without coming across as if your an advertizing exec or, you cant be too transparent in your advertizing of your own name. But when you do speak your own name, depending on the type of music you may want it to sound "mysterious", "cute", "funny", "expensive", "scientific", "technological"...Listen to a load of underground music on youtube and look at those musicians logos and names...its one of the most difficult things to come up with a good name...you need to start with having a lot of tunes that your happy with. Don't choose a name with negative connotations, like a name that reminds people of something terrible. It should be something they feel happy when they are reminded of it. Every time you think of a name, write it down until you have enough tunes, then choose one name...or if you have done a lot of writing choose two or three names, put it up online, see how it does..

If you get zero views after a year, take it down, put it back up under another name...think about your strategy.

Edited by Garrett Wang, 11 July 2017 - 22:53.

• Francky likes this

#12 OopsIFly

OopsIFly

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Interests:...daydreams... -VS- ...propaganda...

Posted 11 July 2017 - 22:39

if you're off the mainstream, you can choose a name somehow connected to the aesthetics or theme of your sounds or the philosophies of the scene.

and try to use one you can make a fancy logo with.

#13 Garrett Wang

Garrett Wang

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 00:47

Or you could aim to have success in both mainstream and underground scenes by releasing two albums with different artist names, then have those two artists engage in a convincing beef with each other, each calling the other out for biting the others style. Build the tension with little disses in tracks and on youtube, but never enough that the two ever have to actually meet because they couldn't physically be in the same place at once, unless there was a stunt double. As the beef progresses, the more popular one could sell out and go commercial while the least favoured one would stay underground...but they would both have a lot of hype around them from the beef.

#14 Francky

Francky

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:48

Hello,

the name's question is such a difficult one...

Because it take nine month to find a name for a new born. So if you searching for an artist name it could be harder.

But is this the name really important ?

The most important thing after, isn't who you really are ?

Does a name is simply just a word to describe you or to recognize you ?

Before all, you have to keep in mind that it isn't the name which describe the artist. But this is the artist who give a signification to it.

This is not the name that will do all the job for him. Forget this, only at his death, when he will be dead and buried that his name, will give him back all he has put into it in being written on his tombstone.

If you have a wonderful name, that's great... but if you're still making trash music... you can give up, it's useless. If you have a totally ordinary name, but except this you are a marvelous artist and all the music you've done is art, inventive, touch the soul and release the minds. Your name will be remembered for the decades and decades.

Cherche pas ton blase dans un dico

Associant des mots auxquels tu n'y connais rien à rien
Ca ne mène à rien
Le nom ne fait pas le flow
Mais le flow fait que ton nom té-co

Don't search your name in a dictionnary

With word that you don't understand

it lead nowhere

the name don't make the hype

but the hype make the name.

- Saian Supa Crew.

This is not the name who make the artist, but this is the artist who make his name.

A word or a name is just a concept. It could be empty as it could be full of connotations. It is up to you to give its a definition! Invent it, create your story, but without words... with your arts, your values, your mind and your heart !

And if after all you're lazy you could take a name who have already a strong connotation and history and play a role like Rick Ross who take the name of Ricky Donnell Ross, born the 26 January 1960, also known under the name of « Freeway » Ricky Ross, who is an american drug dealer, known for « the drug empire » he etablished in Los Angeles in the beginning of 1980. He was sentenced to life in prison, though the sentence was shortened on appeal and Ross was released in 2009...

It is up to you.

• DANKMEISTER. likes this

#15 Garrett Wang

Garrett Wang

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 22:53

Well, if your going to make honest music which is the music you love to release the mind, be inventive and touch the soul, then that music itself could make any name work I suppose, but I still think its important to be at the top of the first page of results in google and not share a name with another person.

Like if I chose the name "LampStand", then when I recommend my music to people and tell them to search "LampStand", they wont be able to find my music because it will come after many, many companies selling lampstands in the search results.

Similarly, if I chose the name "John Smith" there will be a million guys called John Smith in the search results before my music and probably about a thousand "John Smith" musicians competing for that name on soundcloud.

But if I wanted to keep the "john smith" element, it needs a twist. Something that makes it better than other john smiths.

J0hN-uNdiscl05ed, Anomaly-universal-Smithson-of-jupiter.

Also, I would say don't use your real name. Because if you do then your employer starts to know about your music, or family members or just haters. No matter what you do, even the best music ever made, there will always be haters hating. You know the expression "haters gonna hate"?...There are too many narrow minded people online....so I'd say best not to put your real name out there if your putting that name on something you want to promote...you dont want haters all over your facebook looking at whos friends with you or where you work..haters finding your email address, haters with your phone number...stuff like that..dont put your real name out there. Most people just have some random name online, but then on their soundcloud they have a different name...They dont want their online comments associated with their music...others do it the other way, like a business person. They build a funky persona online with tweets and all that, to help sell their music. Depends if you want to sell product (albums, singles), or if you are an honest person whose hobby is music. Its deep.

There are many names that seem like real names, but are actually stage names.."Eddie Vedder" for example, its catchy because of the assonance.

some other names:

Aphex twin : named after audio processing equipment

venetian snares: A type of snare drum renowned for their crispy sound.

Another thing...

Dont put the name of your area in your artist name, song titles or albums titles...save yourself the trouble down the line with harassment from journalists and haters in your area.

Edited by Garrett Wang, 14 July 2017 - 00:10.

#16 Francky

Francky

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 23:31

I think that you'd helped me a lot. After everything that was said here I still don't find the perfect name. But I will think about everything that was said in this topic, and that maybe I will find my Artist Name during my reflection.

Thank you very much.

~ The Artist with No name.

#17 sokoban

sokoban

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 18:09

And if you have no idea, you can also use some random name generators like these ones:

https://fun.namerobot.com/name/dj

http://www.bestlittl...-generator.html

http://chillwitchnamemagic.com/

http://www.fantasyna...ician-names.php

• Francky likes this

Sokoban - Ghisloban - GhisMart

https://soundcloud.com/ghismart

#18 DANKMEISTER.

DANKMEISTER.

• Normal Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:trapping
    steven universe
    but mostly trapping

Posted 29 July 2017 - 20:41

If you have a wonderful name, that's great... but if you're still making trash music... you can give up, it's useless. If you have a totally ordinary name, but except this you are a marvelous artist and all the music you've done is art, inventive, touch the soul and release the minds. Your name will be remembered for the decades and decades.

this is the realest thing I've ever read

hope u find ur name, sport-o

• Francky likes this

#19 ΔBįSƧȔš ṼØȊÐƎ

ΔBįSƧȔš ṼØȊÐƎ

Big GrandDaddy Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 14:30

I feel the name reflects the importance you place on it. For example, it can be as simple as a persons real name or it could go further into the philosophy of ones sound. Quite often I think a name can also give some kind of indication of what an artists music could sound like before listening too. It can be a simple name and process or a deep journey to uncover the moniker one feels best reflects the music. the choice is yours imo.

In reference to me personally and my name 'Vaeprism,' I will do my best to explain something that has lived in my head for quite sometime. A few years ago, I began to entertain the idea of Music (and all things creative for that matter) as a vast and endless substance, much like a sea, fluid, yet not liquid. No form as such, yet existing as a vaporous ocean in a realm outside our own. I was and am very much interested in tapping into that creative process that feels almost automatic, like one is just a vessel and considered in an abstract way trying to channel this idea of creativity as a thing. In terms of my name, it is a combination of the vaporous (substance I referred to earlier) and a prism. I saw the prism as a symbolic means of refracting that creativity to form much like one refracts light. The end result is also a slight aesthetic change of spelling on my part, yet the idea remains the same.

• Francky likes this

┷┯┷┯┷┷┗┯┷┯┷┗┯┷ Ŧh̢ƏRę̡ I̕§ ̛B̢ë̕ΔÜt¥ i̷Й͟ ͘È̷ЯRØŔ̵ ͠ ä₦Ð MɐĢ͟iƆ !Ṇ͢ ӍΔLℲuИ¢Ț̡ï̸Ѻп ┯┷┯┯┷┷┯┷┷┗┷┷┯  

┷┷┗┯┷┯┷┷┗┯┷┯┷┯┷┗┷┯┷┷┷┷┗┯┷┯┯┷┷┯┷┗┷┗vaeprism.com┷┷┗┯┷┯┷┷┗┯┷┯┷┯┷┗┷┯┷┗┷┗┷┯┷┷┗┷┯┷┗┯

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Artist, Name