Is there any way to make key repeat delay faster?

When working with Schism Tracker, I’m used to have key repeat delay set to very fast speed as it speeds up the workflow. Problem here is that Renoise only lets you set key repeat rate but not delay. I’ve already set it to the fastest value from Windows Keyboard settings but would like it to be faster. I also edited windows registries at “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility\Keyboard Response” to speed up repeat delay and while that affects pretty much every other program, it doesn’t seem to affect repeat delay in Renoise.

When working with Schism Tracker, I’m used to have key repeat delay set to very fast speed as it speeds up the workflow. Problem here is that Renoise only lets you set key repeat rate but not delay. I’ve already set it to the fastest value from Windows Keyboard settings but would like it to be faster. I also edited windows registries at “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility\Keyboard Response” to speed up repeat delay and while that affects pretty much every other program, it doesn’t seem to affect repeat delay in Renoise.

No. There is no setting to change the delay on the keyboard. In fact, this could be an added feature under the bonnet of Renoise, and would be very easy to add. I suspect Renoise internally uses a fixed delay timer. It would be as simple as adding a valuebox to change that value manually and solved.

It is possible to make tools with this premise. Especially if you use a mouse. It is also possible to create a virtual piano and operate it with the keyboard keys, using a configurable delay. But the Renoise API has limitations, and frankly, we all want direct control, not using extraneous tools.

Maybe you should ask this formally to the Renoise developers, if they are willing to add this feature…

It’s true that having repeat rate but no delay is a bit strange… :huh:

To clarify the subject a little.

Using the USB keyboard (or USB mouse), exist a time of response in ms when a key is pressed, equivalent to the frecuency in Hz in which the order travels over the USB cable (time of response of the keyboard (1)).Thereafter with Renoise, there is a subtle delay time programed (delay time (2)) for initiating the repeat time in loop (repeat time (3)) when the key is held down.

Scheme of key pressed and hold down: time of response of the keyboard (1) -----> delay time (2) -------> repeat time (3)

• For (1), the response time, is configured in the software of the USB keyboard, not in Renoise (depends on the keyboard hardware). The usual values: 1000 Hz / 1 ms, 500 Hz / 2 ms, 250 Hz / 4ms, 125 Hz / 8 ms.If you have a cheap keyboard, it will not bring your own software, and it will probably work with 8 ms (125 Hz).However, these 4 values are very fast.For example, any quality gamer USB keyboard will operate up to 1ms.
  • For (2), the delay for initiating the repeat time, it will probably have a fixed value between 100 and 150 ms.This value is not configurable in Renoise.It should be slow enough not to repeat an unwanted order.
  • For (3), the repeat time, is configurable in Renoise ( Preferences / Keys / Keyboard Repeat Rate ) with range 5ms to 500ms.5ms is very fast too.This value is well adjusted if you have the habit of using patterns with many lines, higher resolution per pattern. With this configuration you should have enough.

It is possible to create tools to control (2) and (3), for example, to control buttons with precision, but it is not an ideal solution…Here you will be controlling the tool, not Renoise.

Related:

I have a keyboard on which I can change the USB repeat rate and repeat delay (Ducky One, also tried my Ducky Shine 2 and Ducky Shine 3 keyboards), but Renoise freaks out if I engage it. Renoise always retrigger notes if I hold them down, so I sadly can’t use the function (I really love using it in other programs, especially text editors/IDEs, for really fast navigation). Since trackers really work by setting edit steps and then holding keys down to dole out notes every edit step (or remove them), I think speeding up the keyboard would be really helpful for fast editing, but alas.

…I sadly can’t use the function…

What function do you mean?Have you read point 3 of this comment? :

• For (3), therepeat time, is configurable in Renoise (Preferences / Keys / Keyboard Repeat Rate) withrange 5ms to 500ms.5ms is very fast too.This value is well adjusted if you have the habit of using patterns with many lines, higher resolution per pattern. With this configuration you should have enough.

Have you tried it?

I can not understand what problem you have. Can you explain it at length?I use a similar keyboard, the Corsair Strafe RGB, … and I have no problem of speed to edit with it. Everything works as it is desirable.

What function do you mean?Have you read point 3 of this comment? :

• For (3), therepeat time, is configurable in Renoise (Preferences / Keys / Keyboard Repeat Rate) withrange 5ms to 500ms.5ms is very fast too.This value is well adjusted if you have the habit of using patterns with many lines, higher resolution per pattern. With this configuration you should have enough.

Have you tried it?

I can not understand what problem you have. Can you explain it at length?I use a similar keyboard, the Corsair Strafe RGB, … and I have no problem of speed to edit with it. Everything works as it is desirable.

I already have the repeat rate set to 5 ms. But you cannot change the delay time. I guess we have different standards of what “speed edit” would be. Here’s a demonstration:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41IroKqn7Ro

Most programs freak out at the highest settings, so I tend to have mine set half-way. Renoise freaks out at any of these accelerated settings however.

If we deepen a little, having ultra-high speed for insert notes is not necessary.You can compose a pattern-track, and then duplicate it from the matrix editor with mouse, even faster.However, a tool can offer those settings to compose “faster”, even duplicate a particular set of patterns below. It is possible to fill a song for 5 minutes in seconds, with repeated patterns.

Regarding the speed modes of certain alphanumeric USB keyboards, I suspect that Renoise ignores such modes. It will work with the delay and repeat time programmed.

To compose very quickly with Renoise, it is necessary to use in depth the advantages of the matrix editor, and some copy and paste commands…