encryptedmind

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Interests:Jazz, malware, world travel, women

Posted 11 July 2017 - 21:40

Hi Fellow Renoisers,

Can anyone tell me how do I increase of decrease the values in the V/P/D/FX lanes in the pattern editor?

I can type the values directly or copy paste them or selectively focus on one HEX character and change that individually, but I would like a keyboard shortcut for linearly incrementing or decrementing the values. This will replicate a real world fader like approach and it will greatly accelerate the data entry (which is already awesome) and give it a good feel for live value manipulation as well.

I suppose there is a plugin for this or something? I tried listing out the parameters via the HTML keyboard shortcut dump, but could not find any. 

Another thing : when I am using the CMD+, for the Setup and Preferences dialog, I see that pressing the 'c' key on my keyboard closes the dialog. Is this another shortcut for close the dialogs?

Thank  you and keep making music.

Victor

• NER likes this

encryptedmind

Victor Marak

uZIK|mAInD|Z0FTwA-RE

#2 danoise

danoise

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Renoise Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6419 posts
  • Interests:wildlife + urban trekking

Posted 12 July 2017 - 15:24

I've had this as an idea for a tool, inspired by my favorite feature in Bitwig: the "histogram" editor. 

Perhaps better to have it natively, but something pretty damn good could be done with scripting. 

Also, it should not be hard to whip something together using xStream :ph34r:  

There is a bit of a discussion here as well, could be bumped too: 

http://forum.renoise...ec-vals-easily/

I see that pressing the 'c' key on my keyboard closes the dialog. Is this another shortcut for close the dialogs?

What the....  :blink:  never would have considered that.

Wonder if it's it a linuxy convention, or something...? 

• NER likes this

Tracking with Stuff. API wishlist | Soundcloud

#3 encryptedmind

encryptedmind

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Interests:Jazz, malware, world travel, women

Posted 12 July 2017 - 18:01

Kool:) Thanks for the early response and the links. Well the dialogue closing shortcut I tried on Mac and Windows, works similar both ends, must be a bug or actually a nice feature maybe.

I can try cooking something up on Xstream. I think it's time I got deeper into Lua and APIs. I would however like to have this feature in the next Renoise update, it would be so cool. The plugin link you gave still requires the mouse wheel which is ok for the time being.

encryptedmind

Victor Marak

uZIK|mAInD|Z0FTwA-RE

#4 Raul (ulneiz)

Raul (ulneiz)

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1012 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 16:42

@encryptedmind. Wow, I had not seen this topic until now. The tool that I have been doing since this summer goes right on this topic, but for powering the mouse and MIDI Input:

vpdpro-1.0-build-72.png

The main window (the one with the vertical sliders) just serves for that, manipulate the values quickly, even offering a visual screen that clarifies "where is each value" within its range. However this tool has not stopped fattening with other ideas, adding other windows for chords and manipulating effects parameters with custom controls for each effect. I'm still finishing some things. The use of the sliders is very simple. If you want to change or add a specific parameter, just drag the bar up or down.

Imagine what you can do with such a tool, knowing that the tool coordinates with the pattern editor. It may inspire you to learn LUA and make your own tools. In the end, "the trick" for a tool to be really useful and pleasant to manage always has to have a good GUI, and right here is where I'm constantly fighting.

I will unveil the history of this tool a little... A few months ago a veteran and well-known user of the forum complained that in Renoise it is difficult to control the delay parameter for each note and that it resolves complicated compared to a piano roll (understand what you have in front of you). You know, the fact of entering the delay parameter in the column, which visually does not show "where is". So I thought there must be a simple way to be able to visually represent where that delay is within the line/row, and that became a huge vertical slider for delay. In the beginning this was going to be my tool. But then I saw that it could be expanded for all other parameters and one thing led to the other, In the end it has become a tool capable of quickly bombarding parameters in editing tasks, both individual parameters or even in groups. A tool can be born that way. A simple idea that is expanding and becoming something much more complex.

I will continue to encourage you with learning LUA + API. I'm also curious about your project about your book. I hope in the end you finish it. It would be nice to be available in PDF format.

• ghostwerk likes this

:excl: Development of my tool: GT16-Colors

:excl: My API wishlist R3.1 (updated 24 July 2017):

Spoiler

:excl: My Renoise 3.1 wishlist (updated 26 September 2017):

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Keyboard shortcuts