Keyboard shortcut to increase or decrease values in the V/P/D/FX colum

Hi Fellow Renoisers,

Can anyone tell me how do I increase of decrease the values in the V/P/D/FX lanes in the pattern editor?

I can type the values directly or copy paste them or selectively focus on one HEX character and change that individually, but I would like a keyboard shortcut for linearly incrementing or decrementing the values. This will replicate a real world fader like approach and it will greatly accelerate the data entry (which is already awesome) and give it a good feel for live value manipulation as well.

I suppose there is a plugin for this or something? I tried listing out the parameters via the HTML keyboard shortcut dump, but could not find any.

Another thing : when I am using the CMD+, for the Setup and Preferences dialog, I see that pressing the ‘c’ key on my keyboard closes the dialog. Is this another shortcut for close the dialogs?

Thank you and keep making music.

Victor

I’ve had this as an idea for a tool, inspired by my favorite feature in Bitwig: the “histogram” editor.

Perhaps better to have it natively, but something pretty damn good could be done with scripting.

Also, it should not be hard to whip something together using xStream :ph34r:

There is a bit of a discussion here as well, could be bumped too:

https://forum.renoise.com/t/pattern-editor-improvements-inc-dec-vals-easily/45312

I see that pressing the ‘c’ key on my keyboard closes the dialog. Is this another shortcut for close the dialogs?

What the… :blink: never would have considered that.

Wonder if it’s it a linuxy convention, or something…?

Kool:) Thanks for the early response and the links. Well the dialogue closing shortcut I tried on Mac and Windows, works similar both ends, must be a bug or actually a nice feature maybe.

I can try cooking something up on Xstream. I think it’s time I got deeper into Lua and APIs. I would however like to have this feature in the next Renoise update, it would be so cool. The plugin link you gave still requires the mouse wheel which is ok for the time being.

@encryptedmind. Wow, I had not seen this topic until now.The tool that I have been doing since this summer goes right on this topic, but for powering the mouse and MIDI Input:

7622 vpdpro-1.0-build-72.png

The main window (the one with the vertical sliders) just serves for that, manipulate the values quickly, even offering a visual screen that clarifies “where is each value” within its range.However this tool has not stopped fattening with other ideas, adding other windows for chords and manipulating effects parameters with custom controls for each effect. I’m still finishing some things.The use of the sliders is very simple. If you want to change or add a specific parameter, just drag the bar up or down.

Imagine what you can do with such a tool, knowing that the tool coordinates with the pattern editor.It may inspire you to learn LUA and make your own tools. In the end, “the trick” for a tool to be really useful and pleasant to manage always has to have a good GUI, and right here is where I’m constantly fighting.

I will unveil the history of this tool a little… A few months ago a veteran and well-known user of the forum complained that in Renoise it is difficult to control the delay parameter for each note and that it resolves complicated compared to a piano roll (understand what you have in front of you). You know, the fact of entering the delay parameter in the column, which visually does not show “where is”. So I thought there must be a simple way to be able to visually represent where that delay is within the line/row, and that became a huge vertical slider for delay. In the beginning this was going to be my tool. But then I saw that it could be expanded for all other parameters and one thing led to the other, In the end it has become a tool capable of quickly bombarding parameters in editing tasks, both individual parameters or even in groups.A tool can be born that way. A simple idea that is expanding and becoming something much more complex.

I will continue to encourage you with learning LUA + API. I’m also curious about your project about your book. I hope in the end you finish it.It would be nice to be available in PDF format.

@Raul:

I am in Bangkok right now, sorry for the delay in replying, mostly being outdoors the last two weeks.

Wow!! Looks superb and the functionality is well laid out. I would prefer the UI to have some sort of collapsing mechanism for particular views.
I really envy you guys knowing about the LUA API like the back of your hand. I will get there too in time soon. Right now, its a book that I have to write, jazz guitar materials to finish, renoise beats to complete, trips to make around Europe this winter till spring next year and developing new sources of income from online work to transition to being a digital nomad :slight_smile: But Renoise is top of my list as usual.

Regarding the book, my first email was to No Starch, they don’t do music tech books so that email was mostly about my other book. The second email was for Focal Press (Routeledge) and they have a great catalog though I surmise their feedback will be about the following 3 points :

1. Can we sell enough copies to make a profit on this project?
  2. Is the customer base large enough to make profit off?
  3. Can we sell it on behalf of the author (or his brand thereof)?

PROFIT :slight_smile:

Also speaking to their reviewers in general they seem to have not much understanding about the significance of forums and its importance in the various computer subcultures and their knowledge about Neo Soul or ‘phat chords’ is left to be desired. They have other credentials though like teaching or mixing and one has a PhD :0 None of that really matters in Beatmaking. I think its going to be quite an interesting battle to see this through from a regular channel. But I see many more opportunities or interested parties.

I will start the manuscript parallel and release the PDF in a month or two after I am back in India. I want to fast track the first manuscript. I will send some drafts to you and a couple other members who are senior/intermediate and have good ideas to share. Collectively I think we should have a good peice of work in our hands after it makes its round in these forums.

For a commercial addendum for the other parts of the book that I am envisioning, I have to send out more emails and contact other publishers to craft a pitch that will make it work. It’s a learning process but sooo worth it in the end. I will keep us posted. May be you can recommed a small team of editors for the PDF version?

I wish I could travel and see more world, but unfortunately I have limited time for several reasons.I envy you ^_^. I hope you have fun traveling. You learn a lot about other cultures and also tolerate, respect and be more empathetic.Enjoy the experience!

Wow!! Looks superb and the functionality is well laid out. I would prefer the UI to have some sort of collapsing mechanism for particular views.

When I started thinking about this tool in early August, I still did not have a single line of code written. I was already clear that if the tool gained weight, it should have options to collapse with the mission to occupy little space next to the pattern editor. And so it is. All windows can collapse.And so it is.Here a couple of examples:

7636 vpdpro-window1.png

VPDpro. Main Window

7637 vpdpro-window2.png

VPDpro. ChordPad. Window two

7638 vpdpro-window3.png

VPDpro. EffectPad. Window three

Circle (a Spanish user and composer) has helped me come up with the ChordPad, with the theme of the chord types. Of course, it is not a RAS, with accompaniments and so on. But it does allow bombing with chords. ChordPad has been a window added later. Initially, I wanted a simple tool to edit the volume, panning and delay parameters basically. But one thing led to the other. Finally, add the EffectPad window, which in my opinion is an excellent tool to edit the effects parameters. No need to memorize anything, there is the tool that says it all.

I was currently thinking of including two more windows. One to show the metronome action and another to include a horizontal timeline bar of the song. But I fear that both things will be finally discarded. I am still finalizing some things that have to do with the wording to explain the tool a bit. It is actually finished. Need to finish some details…

I see you very busy now! That is good. I’m curious to know what index you’re going to use in Renoise’s book. I very much doubt you get a profitable business with this book. The vast majority of people share free material and a book would be something unheard of, but I do not think it has a broad market. Do not pay any attention to me anyway. Maybe it would be possible to find a small business by selling some well-made tool. But this is not the philosophy that moves in these forums and it really is not worth it. If there is something to share, share it. Surely you will get more benefits receiving what others share.

Personally, I would like to see a business book about Renoise, which gets a lot of sales. But it has to be very worthwhile and be very well written by someone who knows Renoise well and everything that surrounds him, origins, history, career, promoters, developers, users, styles of music, competition, etc, etc.And to get it right it is imperative to talk directly to Taktik. It seems a very serious matter.I suppose the book should have a well-directed approach and that takes time to research.

@Raul Thank you for the nice images and it looks great again:) I think it’s going to be a very useful addition in the direction of RAS and the chord pads we were discussing about. I wanna try it out as soon as you are done with it (maybe you are… Lemme check the tool rooms).

Sorry for the late reply but I was offline again for a while… I can totally understand you when you say you want to travel the world and expand your horizons, I was always like this since childhood even when my family was moving to a new city or country and school every two years because of my father’s work. I have been to 9 schools in my life so far. I however have attained a good part of my travelling goals getting sponsored for work the past 6 years enabling me to travel to over 20 countries now. I would say try it till you make it as it’s totally worth it.

For you it is way easy since you already live in Spain so taking a weekend bus to Austria or Italy is more cost effective than for someone from another country who has to book flights and visa just to enter, not to mention accomodation expenses. I strongly urge you to take advantage of this and start tavellong already. Prepare a small backpack max 30 ltr with an item weight max of 7kgs including all the stuff and the bag itself - of essentials and do some good reading on travel basics and backpacking in general. Rolf Potts’ Vagabonding is an excellent book to grasp the incentives and the madness that consumes from insides that eases only when you explore the world, only to have it back again :slight_smile: Europe is very well connected so even a bus ride from either Flixbus, Eurolines or Megabus and similar is very cost effective at less than 20 euros on a good day and you can go from Berlin to UK in a single weekend.

Regarding the book I agree that asking Taktik for the roots and history and even code stories is a good move as there is no better person to provide their rich experience as he is the originator and visionary behind Renoise. I have a rather bulky task ahead of writing the chapters and editing the images etc and compiling some interviews and charting out a detailed timeline of Renoise as well as trackers and then make it relevant to our production methods and also write a tutorial or recipe based approach to handhold a beginner to Renoise and provide solutions for a regular user as well. I will try to keep it manageable though and remove all fluff and keep only the most relevant information that is worth sharing keeping the beneficiary in mind.

One thing, you are right that the Lua API user community is a very niche one with yourself and a few others making it work and working on it as well. It almost is like a university project or lab sponsored thesis experiment with high focus on results but not much of commercial input beyond academia. I find it fascinating to communicate with such a scene and it’s unique members. I also consider Renoise to very much like a boutique software developer with a very dedicated and active user base that caters to a particular niche of requirements much like mic preamp designer boutique companies or audio hardware restorers. It’s not for everyone though all are welcome. I like it this way honestly and personally speaking I have very different views about the money system in general and money does not motivate me in what I do. I feel lucky to even know you guys and somehow be a small part of all this:)

I am starting work on the Renoise toots next week and let’s see how it goes from there and how much time is invested in the end. Will be interesting and a great learning experience. Also technically speaking it will be a great prefilter for weeding out mistakes or irrelevant stuff and make the content tighter when it goes through the forums feedback and eveyone chips in with their tips or constructive critique. I will look towards publishing this draft combined with other elements in the best platform I find, possibly a brick and mortar publishing house or even online on Amazon if it really goes in that direction.

Btw I am getting this very strong feeling from thinking about this whole simulation theory thing that we are just information based virtual creations and that we are indeed in a super advanced (by our standards) computer like engine where we are just characters in a simulated reality. We could be an ancestor simulation or a random lab experience for an alien maker. If so we really are in a matrix of sorts and then whatever we do is kind of direction less. I mean we have potentials like energy bands and probability ranges for everything from music to art and numbers being large enough theoretically being infinite for us but in reality increasingly science is discovering that our universe is very granular and quantifiable and well designed mostly to keep us in and booby trapped with a million ways to kill us. Why are we on this earth and what are we really doing here is a really puzzling question indeed…

I read this in a Christian book somewhere about the author saying a scenario where he finds an exquisite watch somewhere in the middle of the desert and ponders to think about it that one does not just wander in a creation and finds a finely engineered watch and comes to the conclusion that it came together by itself. There is a maker- a watch maker that put it together in such precise symmetry. Our universe is just like that and the evidence is overwhelming that we are designed and engineered in some sort of black box universe.

I might look for any kind of universe to explore but I would not want to be in a universe where Renoise does not exist.:slight_smile:

@Raul

What information source did you use to find out the notes of each chord type?

Did it include all the right and left handed fingerings? 1st and 2nd inversions?

It would be awesome to include the finger numbers on the keyboard chord diagram part.

That information is hard to find.

@ encryptedmind

^_^If you intend to make tools, I will be happy to comment on the code if I am able to understand it. It’s really interesting. Many requests in the forums can be solved with tools.

@ Garred. Hi

In order to build Chordpad, I had the help of the companion Circe , who was interested in this tool. He has provided me with most of the chords to integrate them into the tool, in the style of:

• 11b9: 0 - 4 - 7 - 10 - 13 - 17

Now I am with another window module called Automa32, to create automation modules. But if there is some way to refine the ChordPad window module, ordering the chords better or even adding specific functions later, I would be willing to improve it.

The complete multitool is called " VPDpro".This is his appearance (still missing some things):

7709 VPDpro v1.0 Build 92.png

The " VPDpro. ChorPad":

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:7637]

And the new window module " VPDpro. Automa32":

7710 automa32.png

I am very proud of the result of Automa32. I suppose that with the captures you see approximately what each tool is capable of doing.Do you think the Chordpad is possible to order the chords better?Actually the distribution of the buttons does not meet a specific order.Any ideas to improve this would be welcome. ChorPad is very good. You play a chord using a button or midi Input and the virtual piano shows the whole chord. Above, he also points out the chords he reads from the pattern editor, already written.

Do you think the Chordpad is possible to order the chords better?Actually the distribution of the buttons does not meet a specific order.Any ideas to improve this would be welcome.

It would be good to:

1. order the chords around a cycle of fifths.

2. in addition to cycle of fifths arrangment, another arrangement ‘chords in scale’ ( with all possible chords in order of scale degrees from each of the scale types in renoise scale dropdown menu ).

3. show the correct left and right handed fingerings for each chord on the virtual keyboard.

4.show all possible inversions of each chord (with correct left + right fingerings).

1. show the major scale of the root note of each chord as a tool-tip when leaaving the mouse over it ( because the chord names are all based on sharpening or flattening the scale degrees of the root notes major scale ).

2. Choose a chord progression in a key, then change the same progressions key.

For example:

I-V-vi-IV

I-vi-ii-V

I-V-IV-I

I-IV-vi-V

I-vi-IV-V

I-IV-V

I-V-vi-iii

vi-V-IV-V

I-V-IV-V

I-V-iii-IV

vi-ii-iii

I-V-IV

ii-IV-I-V

vi-IV-I-V

It would be good to:

1. order the chords around a cycle of fifths.

2. in addition to cycle of fifths arrangment, another arrangement ‘chords in scale’ ( with all possible chords in order of scale degrees from each of the scale types in renoise scale dropdown menu ).

3. show the correct left and right handed fingerings for each chord on the virtual keyboard.

4.show all possible inversions of each chord (with correct left + right fingerings).

1. show the major scale of the root note of each chord as a tool-tip when leaaving the mouse over it ( because the chord names are all based on sharpening or flattening the scale degrees of the root notes major scale ).

2. Choose a chord progression in a key, then change the same progressions key.

For example:

I-V-vi-IV

I-vi-ii-V

I-V-IV-I

I-IV-vi-V

I-vi-IV-V

I-IV-V

I-V-vi-iii

vi-V-IV-V

I-V-IV-V

I-V-iii-IV

vi-ii-iii

I-V-IV

ii-IV-I-V

vi-IV-I-V

Hi Garret. I do not know very well how to do point 1, for example. I will send you a PM with the internal details of the chord order of the “VPDpro ChordPad”, to see if it is possible to order them better, without losing the pad GUI, since it also works with MIDI Input, and making classified lists of the chords so that it is with MIDI Input is a bit complicated to program.

Look at your message inbox…

PakettiR3 allows for Delay +1 +10 -1 -10 control for note columns. i have not seen any reason to write more. which ones would you like? i could look at them and make them i guess.

PakettiR3 allows for Delay +1 +10 -1 -10 control for note columns. i have not seen any reason to write more. which ones would you like? i could look at them and make them i guess.

Why do you comment on this?Volume control, panning control, delay control and all effect parameters controls were requested.

Why do you comment on this?Volume control, panning control, delay control and all effect parameters controls were requested.

cos it’s of no issue to create panning control + volume control into my script, and i have some effect parameter controls going on. and there’s already “slide up +1 +10 -1 -10 in selection” and same for slide down, retrig, etc.

so a few bits of work and it does exactly what he wants.