#126 encryptedmind

encryptedmind

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Interests:Jazz, malware, world travel, women

Posted 22 July 2017 - 19:42

@joule: Regarding your tool, at the risk of getting 'eyerolls', you mentioned your lack of incentive. How about we go the crowd funding road and set up a mutually agreed license fee and collect cash from every Renoiser from the forums, in order to boost your development time. After the crowd funded amount is given to you, you can further charge on updates or new features.

Free as in FLOSS is OK, or sharing is good too (for cash). But keeping in secret is not nice :)

Edited by encryptedmind, 22 July 2017 - 19:44.

encryptedmind

Victor Marak

uZIK|mAInD|Z0FTwA-RE

#127 Garrett Wang

Garrett Wang

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, film and television

Posted 22 July 2017 - 20:00

VSTi like Redux?

#128 encryptedmind

encryptedmind

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 21:06

Well Redux, is a Phrases editor in a separate plugin. I mean the format for DLL files as VST plugins for Windows for any other functionality.

encryptedmind

Victor Marak

uZIK|mAInD|Z0FTwA-RE

#129 Renoised

Renoised

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 21:10

Best way for us to progress forward is to learn Lua and start with dev.

Nope, best way forward is what I suggested, that's why I suggested it.

Learning LUA and talking about VSTi development has nothing to do with RAS.

You're overcomplicating; VSTi is completely irrelevant, and Joule already knows how to code in LUA.

The situation at hand is:
- Prototype product exists.
- Complete demonstration of prototype product does not exist.

The solution is:

- Show complete demonstration of prototype product and observe feedback.

- Use feedback to refine product.

- Release refined product (Free or Paid).

- Make better music.

Edited by Renoised, 23 July 2017 - 10:58.

#130 Garrett Wang

Garrett Wang

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 21:29

@Renoised, Fsus4 and encryptedmind:

Check out the "cycle of fifths chords" and "intervals" posts in general discussion.

A VST with all the harmonies well laid out in every possible detail might make some money.

Its better than a tool in way because it could be used in multiple DAWs.

It could have every conceivable ARP pattern and even strumming patterns (with delay commands or something) if its the autoaccompaniment style thing. Could even have scratching patterns that use the reverse command for fake scratching vocal samples.

It wouldn't have to have its own sounds in it, just whatever instrument is being used in the DAW.

Edited by Garrett Wang, 22 July 2017 - 21:31.

• encryptedmind likes this

#131 encryptedmind

encryptedmind

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 21:47

@renoised: ya sure, but its @joule's decision end of the day. I already posted the crowd funding theme. But unless he accepts we will not have any other choice.

For a really basic chord pad, I have a basic functional idea. You see many virtual keyboard (computer keyboard) software which basically send WM_KEY messages to the application in focus, which are then processed as lparam and wparam objects in the message queue in Windows. What we can get from this is that we can remove the keyboard altogether from that source code and replace them with buttons with preset key sequences for chords, just as we would use the laptop keyboard, but more like pressing many keys but with on screen button. Next we can sort out the specific keys to be pressed virtually to transpose it to all key centres. Additionally things like octave changes etc can be set as keystrokes preset for octave up down and so on. We can then set the tool to be 'always on top' and let it float. The background image can be set to our choice and we cn design the basic pad tool as an independent .exe file. This can be done in any language like C#, C++.

The great thing about sending windows messages is that it bypasses both plugin formats and simplifies data entry, at least for a prototype.

Same key stroke sending and hooking code can be found for the Lua interface also, but will obviously require deeper study of things.

Another possibly better alternative is to combine the source code for virtual keyboard and virtual midi keyboard. This way I can use a Circle of 5ths graphic and process that as a user control, enabling both MIDI input and Renoise key shortcut macros in tandem.

A simple tool that reads the keyboardsettings.xml file and populates all the shortcuts on the button list for the user to see and interact can be useful for both demo and testing purposes. This is a side internal tool idea for personal use.

Synthedit software gets fx and instrument plugins done with relative ease. It exports the vst DLL file.

Books by Will Pirkle on audio plugin dev are useful even for Lua programming if DSP math and filter design is required.

Audio Programming Book by Richard Boulanger covers a lot of essential C Code audio programming and DSP knowledge.

These are some general references that
will be useful for anything audio.

@garrett has some nice points too. VSTi is already industry standard so maybe making a leap is not a bad idea after all.

Edited by encryptedmind, 22 July 2017 - 22:30.

encryptedmind

Victor Marak

uZIK|mAInD|Z0FTwA-RE

#132 encryptedmind

encryptedmind

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 21:55

A good thing about Renoise formats are that they are zipped XML files. Additional tooling for data manipulation can be built as separate modules or .exe data extractors or manipulators. I think even before we get to Lua insides a full understanding of the Renoise data formats, layouts and file formats is very essential, when it comes to tool building.

Edited by encryptedmind, 22 July 2017 - 21:55.

• Fsus4 likes this

encryptedmind

Victor Marak

uZIK|mAInD|Z0FTwA-RE

#133 danoise

danoise

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Renoise Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6419 posts
  • Interests:wildlife + urban trekking

Posted 22 July 2017 - 21:57

OK, I kinda get the point now as to where the 'getting stuck' part comes from. The API of any product must have added functions and features and scale well. If you are saying that the API itself will need more work and that the plugin developers have given their best shot to work with and around it, I can fully appreciate how Taktik's involvement will mean so much for the Renoise community. It seems I was under the wrong impression that the API itself is huge, deep and well featured 

According to the seniors, have you stretched the Renoise API fully or do you think that infusing new blood is a 'dead' end?

The Renoise Song API is absolutely huge, deep and solid. I'm obviously deep inside the scripting forest, but I can't point out another DAW with a similar degree of integration? 

As for infusing blood, sure... My problem is that time is limited - I could spend several years in there and still come up with new ideas for tools :-)

That said, obviously there is room for improvement too. The area where the Renoise APIs are mostly lacking is in terms of writing fancy GUIs via the viewbuilder API. This is probably the part having received the most feature suggestions - and with some surprising omissions (thinking here of Raul's disappointment when he found out that he couldn't track a key release event on the PC keyboard...).

But for someone with enough drive and dedication, there's is absolutely nothing stopping you from writing a full-blown application in [insert GUI toolkit of choice here] and let it communicate with Renoise over sockets, http, osc, midi etc. I'm actually surprised that only a single project have used this approach... well, to my knowledge anyway - only god knows how many "secret" tools are out there  ;)

• afta8 and encryptedmind like this

Tracking with Stuff. API wishlist | Soundcloud

#134 encryptedmind

encryptedmind

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 22:33

@danoise: Great points, thank you for the clarifications and guidance :)

BTW does anyone know what the 'next' key stands for in the Renoise Key Settings page menu items, it shows as a modifier I suppose (not the Ctrl/Alt/shift) but something else that is either missing from my keyboard or its for backwards compatibility for some older keyboards or something.

encryptedmind

Victor Marak

uZIK|mAInD|Z0FTwA-RE

#135 Fsus4

Fsus4

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 22:33

A good thing about Renoise formats are that they are zipped XML files. Additional tooling for data manipulation can be built as separate modules or .exe data extractors or manipulators. I think even before we get to Lua insides a full understanding of the Renoise data formats, layouts and file formats is very essential, when it comes to tool building.

Yes, that's what I also pointed out earlier. Since all the pattern/song XML-data then can be parsed and manipulated by external software, I'm now also looking into alternative routes forward in regard to my own ideas (presented earlier in this thread).

Basically, what I'm after here is a .xrns builder framework. I want to be able to open the .xrns files (unzipping, etc), then unleashing a set of scripts to either build all the files with XML-data from scratch, or manipulate existing "style templates", then zip the file back to .xrns. 

From this perspective, I could use markers on the tracks to signal any special treatments for the scripts (such as "do not manipulate anything on this particular marked track"), then let the script essentially build all the specific "chord patterns", like so:

Pattern 00:  Full arrangement with X number of instruments, all playing harmonically as a "band" in C Major

Pattern 01:  Full arrangement with X number of instruments, all playing harmonically as a "band" in C Minor

Pattern 02:  Full arrangement with X number of instruments, all playing harmonically as a "band" in C 7

[..]

Pattern 900-999:  Used for chord progression purposes (i.e. selection of patterns and their order of playback)

Then it would simply be a matter of making the Lua script with a GUI consisting of a huge grid of pads (filling up an entire second screen in a dual monitor setup), double-clicking such a pad to map it to a specific pattern (i.e. the style .xrns is now playing the full arrangement in a specific chord). I'd need to be able to load different sets of pads (i.e. different sets of chords), probably just storing the chord name and pattern number as strings in external textfiles. 

I would then be able to build e.g. a style pattern playing in C major, save the .xrns, run the scripts on the .xrns, load the manipulated .xrns again and then have that same first template pattern transformed (not simply transposed) into hundreds of patterns playing in different chords.

Edited by Fsus4, 22 July 2017 - 22:39.

• Circe and encryptedmind like this

#136 The_Traveler

The_Traveler

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:Exploring timbrality ...

Posted 22 July 2017 - 22:44

... with Renoise over sockets, http, osc, midi etc.

The osc part intrigues me currently. (I'm engrossed in another project that uses it.)

As osc is already available in Renoise, it seem plausible to create lua (or other osc enabled) apps "outside" of Renoise and communicate via osc in a bi-directional way.

One benefit is that your not tied to lua. Python for instance has a very capable osc library. Erlang, a favorite language of mine has a simple method for osc communications and there quite a few other bindings: http://opensoundcont...ntroduction-osc

Another benefit is it allows Renoise to be extended, as is done with lua modules currently, without needing to change the core Renoise program code

The osc datagram protocol is dirt simple and completely user configurable.

Food for thought perhaps.

Cheers.

Edited by The_Traveler, 22 July 2017 - 22:46.

• Fsus4 and encryptedmind like this

#137 Garrett Wang

Garrett Wang

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 23:02

Put together all the ideas from the thread into one Ultrah_Harmonizah_Pattern_Jammah VST:

The free strumming of the Suzuki Q chord

Pre-configured strumming patterns

The interactive cycle of fifths as touchscreen chord pads

Arpeggiation patterns based on the chords in the cycle of fifths

Autoaccompaniment for lead solos

Octave switching.

Sample scratching patterns?

Istant gratification, no theory required, experimenters paradise but possible to learn theory with it over time.

I suggest you put it together this way:

Take the arpeggiation features of arpeggionome from the link below

https://itunes.apple...d582627943?mt=8

but with many more configurable and assignable arpeggiation patterns.

Include many configurable and assignable strum patterns.

Include strum ribbon across the right and left hand sides of the VSTi window (which could also be assigned to octave switching, filter cutoff slider etc.)

The main layout would be a cycle of fifths circle with all the chords in the right place.

When you press a chord it sounds.

Either looping and waiting until the end of the bar when another chord has been pressed, momentary, toggle on / off, one shot ...

All this in arpeggiation pattern mode, strum pattern mode or hold while strumming either of the strum ribbons mode (suitable for both left and right handed strummers).

The vertical strum ribbons could also be configured to switch octaves, as effects sliders (configurable as [instead of an xy pad] two sliders, different feel).

Switch octaves with one hand, strum with the other, press a chord in the chord wheel to line up the next chord pattern.

Instead of just one cycle of fifths chord wheel there would be many concentric rings including the same chords (starting on different octaves would be possible).

Different strum and arpeggiation patterns would be assignable the each of the concentric ring layers.

Different instruments would be assignable to each of the rings.

In autoaccompaniment mode the cycle of fifths chords would just follow whatever key is being pressed on the midi keyboard which the user is jamming lead on (like the casio yamaha keyboards).

If one key is pressed and the next key fits in the key the autoaccompaniment is playing in, the autoaccompaniment stays the same, if the note is out of that key the cycle of fifths accompaniment changes so that the new key is the root note of one of the chords in that key.

There would be different options for how those chords are chosen.

The strum / effects / octave ribbons could even have the option to be configured as a two slider theremin, one controlling pitch, the other volume.

Or to speed up / slow down arpeggiation patterns and strum patterns in automatically in time.

Almost all of the possible the cycle of fifths chords are in the "cycle of fifths chords" thread (general discussion).

#138 Fsus4

Fsus4

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 23:45

Yes, that's what I also pointed out earlier. Since all the pattern/song XML-data then can be parsed and manipulated by external software, I'm now also looking into alternative routes forward in regard to my own ideas (presented earlier in this thread).

Basically, what I'm after here is a .xrns builder framework. I want to be able to open the .xrns files (unzipping, etc), then unleashing a set of scripts to either build all the files with XML-data from scratch, or manipulate existing "style templates", then zip the file back to .xrns. 

From this perspective, I could use markers on the tracks to signal any special treatments for the scripts (such as "do not manipulate anything on this particular marked track"), then let the script essentially build all the specific "chord patterns", like so:

Pattern 00:  Full arrangement with X number of instruments, all playing harmonically as a "band" in C Major

Pattern 01:  Full arrangement with X number of instruments, all playing harmonically as a "band" in C Minor

Pattern 02:  Full arrangement with X number of instruments, all playing harmonically as a "band" in C 7

[..]

Pattern 900-999:  Used for chord progression purposes (i.e. selection of patterns and their order of playback)

Then it would simply be a matter of making the Lua script with a GUI consisting of a huge grid of pads (filling up an entire second screen in a dual monitor setup), double-clicking such a pad to map it to a specific pattern (i.e. the style .xrns is now playing the full arrangement in a specific chord). I'd need to be able to load different sets of pads (i.e. different sets of chords), probably just storing the chord name and pattern number as strings in external textfiles. 

I would then be able to build e.g. a style pattern playing in C major, save the .xrns, run the scripts on the .xrns, load the manipulated .xrns again and then have that same first template pattern transformed (not simply transposed) into hundreds of patterns playing in different chords.

Actually, it just occured to me that even the Lua script for the pads linked to triggering patterns probably won't even be necessary, since I could just render the different pads sets spread across different .xrns files and have the MIDI mappings to a proper hardware Launchpad saved within each such .xrns.

Each such single pad (on the Launchpad or any MIDI controller, such as a regular MIDI piano-keyboard) would then simply be mapped to trigger a specific pattern within the .xrns. And, as I've pointed out earlier in this thread, this is a native function that already exists and works properly in Renoise.

Of course, I'm fully aware that my "static" approach here does not in any way result in a "dynamic" RAS -- since there is no "chord recognition" based on the realtime MIDI input from a keyboard player forming the chords, and hence no dynamic transformation of the patterns either. It's basically just a static chord pattern triggering system, based on the offline scripted pre-rendering of new .xrns files from a .xrns template. However, it is a form of RAS (i.e. "Renoise Accompaniment System"), in the sense that it's a first step forward for me to build sort of an accompaniment system in Renoise (although a static one). 

It's also a first step in that I can immediately start exploring the transformation of XML data for inspirational purposes without first wading through miles of Lua waters. I certainly will wade through the Lua waters too, out of interest and because I really want to explore that area and make my own scripts. But starting with analyzing .xrns files seems to be a good start, a proper way to understand the Renoise song format specifications better.

Now it would be just fantastic if there existed some kind of software out there that worked the opposite way from e.g. Xfer Cthulhu and similar "one MIDI key triggers whole chord" types of plugins. So, instead it would work the other way around, i.e. "multiple MIDI keys trigger one note". That way I could map the combination (forming of chords) to specific pads and hence map and trigger all chord-patterns as well.

Edited by Fsus4, 23 July 2017 - 00:57.

#139 Garrett Wang

Garrett Wang

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 00:31

Flexing "dev chops" talk.

RAS is too complicated to make...

RAS never happens.

Phrase editor already does everything required.

Uses phrase editor once or twice...

Rage quit?

fin.jpg

Edited by Garrett Wang, 23 July 2017 - 00:33.

#140 encryptedmind

encryptedmind

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 01:36

@garrett: you are either a bipolar or genuinely trolling. WTF?

encryptedmind

Victor Marak

uZIK|mAInD|Z0FTwA-RE

#141 encryptedmind

encryptedmind

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 01:49

I remember sometime back I used to play with this : NAudio.NET has an extensive MIDI events API that is being used in many products. The API itself is free and can be used by us to prototype.

For C++ devs : WxWidget looks the simplest route for native apps.

JAVA MIDI API exists as well. 

Lots of good projects at CodePlex for C# MIDI processing, including a set of classes where a harmonizer can be just plugged in.

My fast track way of getting this done for prototyping :

1) Use one of the existing MIDI processing libraries and build a chord analyzer and circle of 5th around it.

2) Couple that with Renoise API for internal navigation and song position counter.

3) ChordPad component can come next. 

4) A harmonizer for diatonic melodies can work directly from the circle of 5ths wheel, as the root key and its sub-dominants and dominants in the major or minor scale can be automatically mapped.

5) .XRNS 'transformers' as individual applications or even Lua plugins to parse the files and process the data inside, allow manipulation and advanced editing like data extraction and export. 

6) Finally culminate everything to a pattern generator or arranger module, where a sequencer will also be another component, which will be the final goal. 

Try the Lua API for Renoise parallely while using other well developed libraries, cos many functions may overlap. For good GUI Lua might not be the best of choices. However, with C++ WxWidgets, C# GUI User controls, GUI becomes simpler to maintain. This is mostly becos we program in other languages for now and Lua may be new, but prototyping will come to us naturally in the languages we are more comfortable in. 

The protocols themselves are language agnostic so these tools can 'talk' to each other using http or OSC. MIDI data exchange will no doubt be the epi center of this toolrig. 

I really like the BIAB style of pattern generation, we can do similar:

1) Use MIDI files to save core stylistic templates, like a hip hop beat, or a rock beat, garage, house etc for each instrument category.

2) The tool should be able to include user generated data in the pattern editor and internally build a in memory MIDI file/data structure from it, or just an internal intermediate version of it for essential data - timestamps, channel, velocity, pan, note number and use that data structure and convert that to pattern format and play it from the internal sequencer.

3) A separate chord list that will be controlled by the harmonizer in the auto mode, which the user can configure by typing in new chords. 

4) A genre based 'mutator' module can be as simple as a round robin of separate MIDI files as alternate variations or a ruleset for every genre (for DnB increase snare work, for Hip Hop increase Kick work etc)

Simplest Use Case: Once a user opens a Renoise RAS project, he will select from a list of available styles. That will populate the chord list and the instrument patterns from the template bank. The user can choose the chord or play it and get it recognized and the background music will tune accordingly to the Key based on the Circle of 5ths. Internally the mutator and meta-arranger creates the bridge/chorus/prechorus//verse section. While the song is playing the user can change the tempo, change the root key and change instruments (use VSTis for the sound banks for instance).

@joule's tool seems to be in the right direction for passive chord entry, but its not yet an arranger module by the looks of it. It seems to be a shordhand or substitute to MIDI chord entry, where an external controller will not be required. It has other uses primarily for the pattern editor, but for passive arranging this will be useful. Like you can place chords and build a song, writing it on a chordsheet.  But for a plug and play approach this has to be taken care of internally for the RAS to work out of the box. Users ain't gonna be using the pattern editor the first hour. They will play with RAS as it manages all the internal parameters on its own.

@garrett: Please contribute to this "chops talk" or try something else :) Posting solutions and ideas are the only way I see this taking off. I doubt you understand this or what....

The earlier post you gave had a good list of features that we will investigate, especially using arp.

Edited by encryptedmind, 23 July 2017 - 02:09.

encryptedmind

Victor Marak

uZIK|mAInD|Z0FTwA-RE

#142 joule

joule

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1491 posts
  • Interests:music, philosophy, engineering

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:24

You need to guide the arrangement by a chord track (and a bass track). At least that's how current hardware and software arrangers work.

Also note that the USP with bringing an arranger to a DAW is not only to load full arrangements per se. Even more powerful is the ability to load any tracks from any arrangement as building blocks. There are thousands of Yamaha styles downloadable for free. Imagine extracting all tracks from these, categorized as "bass track", "piano", "pad" et c, and building an arrangement trial&erroring track by track. Lots of fun.

• Fsus4 and encryptedmind like this

#143 Renoised

Renoised

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 11:31

@renoised: ya sure, but its @joule's decision end of the day. I already posted the crowd funding theme. But unless he accepts we will not have any other choice.

I never mentioned "Crowd Funding" anywhere in my posts, you did.  It makes no difference to me whether free or paid, although if it's paid I hope he'll be sensible about it and price it in relation to Renoise.

The cheaper it is, more people will buy it.

... only god knows how many "secret" tools are out there  ;)

Well that's a very guilty-looking wink if ever I saw one!

What are you hiding? :D

Well, I did think he was having a laugh  :D

You need to guide the arrangement by a chord track (and a bass track). At least that's how current hardware and software arrangers work.

Also note that the USP with bringing an arranger to a DAW is not only to load full arrangements per se. Even more powerful is the ability to load any tracks from any arrangement as building blocks. There are thousands of Yamaha styles downloadable for free. Imagine extracting all tracks from these, categorized as "bass track", "piano", "pad" et c, and building an arrangement trial&erroring track by track. Lots of fun.

Lots of fun, and if it loads and interprets Yamaha arranger styles as well, wow!

Sadly still no word from you about what you're prepared to do though.

I think if you didn't release it (to give yourself an edge), looking at the technical discussion in this thread, it's only a matter of time until the other guys catch-up and release something.  Although some here have their reservations about it, I think the whole "RAS" thing in general has triggered enough interest in this stuff to ensure we get something like it either way.  At the end of the day it's about giving people (especially those without any music theory to fall back on) the ability to do musically amazing things, and that's exactly what this stuff does.

Right, I'm off to check-out that thread Garrett wanted me to see, then I'm out of here for a while.

Good luck peeps, and no matter what, I hope we see this stuff in Renoise.

Edited by Renoised, 23 July 2017 - 11:39.

#144 Renoised

Renoised

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 11:45

@Garrett

Just took a look at your two threads and both scared the crap out of me!

This is why I need RAS, so I can make use of that stuff in an instant :walkman:

... even without knowing anything about it!

#145 EatMe

EatMe

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • Interests:Fuße wirklich richtig schmutzig machen, mit kräftig anlegen von, logischerweise, ein Schlammpfütze.

Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:05

There are 2 tools by Laffik that accompany your music with chords:

http://forum.renoise...ool-progressor/

http://forum.renoise...l-31-processor/

* discography: eatme.pro/music
* all Renoise projectseatme.pro/music/projects
* soundcloud: /eatme 
* some samples: this free breakbeat and another free breakbeat 
* more infoeatme.pro/about - please mention www.eatme.pro with a broadcast or share

+1

#146 danoise

danoise

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Renoise Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6419 posts
  • Interests:wildlife + urban trekking

Posted 23 July 2017 - 13:11

Well that's a very guilty-looking wink if ever I saw one!

What are you hiding? :D

Heh, I was referring to joule. His tools are high standard - perhaps it's simply not ready yet? 

I rarely tease tool developments, but I can understand why you would  :)

Tracking with Stuff. API wishlist | Soundcloud

#147 Garrett Wang

Garrett Wang

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 22:55

Like night and day, summer and winter, low tide and high tide?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to emulate guitar chord strumming or arpeggiations I've provided a guitar fretboard to renoise conversion chart in general discussion forum.

It has octave numbers included...quite hard to find. Most guitarists still use the helmholtz notation for octave instead of scientific notation for some foolish reason.

Edited by Garrett Wang, 23 July 2017 - 22:56.

#148 Renoised

Renoised

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:52

I rarely tease tool developments, but I can understand why you would  :)

Actually, I'm wanting to tease for another feature as well right now, but thought I might be pushing my luck a bit!

I was going to ask about a procedural waveform generator, something that could procedurally generate the usual Sine, Triangle, Saw up, Saw Down, Square, and noise etc, but with the added ability to procedurally blend more than one wave together, and with the ability to soften the corners, bend the ramps, and proceduarally add noise and irregualrity to the waveform.  The resulting waveform could be used as a single-cycle waveform for the sampler and even external samplers etc.  I was going to ask about something like that, but thought it best not too seeing I already have one thread going!

So I've decided not to mention it at all, no one has any clue I would like to see a procedural waveform generator ...  :P :D ;)

Like night and day, summer and winter, low tide and high tide?

:D

Edited by Renoised, 24 July 2017 - 12:52.

#149 joule

joule

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1491 posts
  • Interests:music, philosophy, engineering

Posted 24 July 2017 - 13:14

@Renoised,

Very OT:

I was playing around with a waveform generator concept, supposed to be mimicing the native modulation system. Not sure that's what you mean?

The operand buttons, and lots of features are missing here though. And all parameters should be able to be modulated by another OSC. Also, a good idea would be to have something akin to a "formula device". And ability to render to a single duty cycle and/or multi-sampled.

On the other hand, there are already awesome VSTi:s for these kind of sounds, including the support of converting to/from overtone envelopes, morphing and whatnot. MPowersynth is one of them.

Spoiler

Edited by joule, 24 July 2017 - 13:20.

#150 Fsus4

Fsus4

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 13:15

To summarize the essential idea of the thread (the dynamic RAS), in any case some new forum reader is tuning in on this topic and having a somewhat difficult time understanding what it's all about:

Take a look at this video, where some guy demonstrates how to create a so-called "style" on his Yamaha PSR-S950 Arranger Keyboard:

Now, at the end of that video, did you observe that he's playing chords with his left hand and melodies with his right hand, and the style will automatically harmonize to play the entire style arrangement in accordance with the chosen chord -- chosen, as in "any chord"?

Imagine a similar Accompaniment System implemented in Renoise (the so-called RAS). You edit/record an arrangement in a single pattern, everything -- bass, piano, strings, etc -- playing in (let's say) C Major. You press the "Enable RAS" button. All the tracks which should be left "untouched" by the RAS algoritms are marked (with a specific color or trackname or whatever). Such tracks could be for example drums and various one shot sound effects.

Then you hit playback and the Renoise pattern starts playing in a loop. You switch over to your MIDI-keyboard and start experimenting or improvising an entire song structure just by playing the chosen chords with your left hand and the melodies with your right hand.

The power of the RAS is that it would add a new value dimension to the tracker. A single styles could be stored as a Renoise song (a .xrns file) that contained all the template patterns making up a style, each template pattern in that song being a variation (such as a break, an intro, outro, etc).

Renoise code could then also possibly be compiled into a new side-product, with a different name (such as "Re-Play", "Renoise Live Arranger", "Renoise Instant Gratification" or whatever) and sold or distributed as a separate product that wouldn't show all the "tracker editor stuff", just the necessary basics for people to start jamming without knowing anything about trackers at all. Maybe such a separate product would also load encrypted .xrns songs (i.e. the "styles") so that it would be possible to distribute "styles-packs" separately, making an incentive for Renoise styles-creators to make some $$$ in the process. Then also implement a ChordPulse/Band-in-a-box type of chord progression editor into that new "Renoise spin-off" product so that users could just type "Fsus4, Dm, G7, A" etc and hit play -- with some well-placed out marketing, this thing will sell thousands of copies within weeks!

So, is the RAS concept a good idea?

No. It's an EXCELLENT idea!!

Edited by Fsus4, 24 July 2017 - 13:40.

• ffx, joule and encryptedmind like this