Photo

No media for Renoise or any trackers in the market?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 Skyscape

Skyscape

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:22

I wouldn't worry about the potential audience. If every artist, or writer or musician worried about whether their product would have an audience and let it stop them, then nothing interesting would ever be made. Make it knowing that their might not be much of an audience, but having something out there historical about this is better than having nothing at all, so it's an important, if thankless job. I would read your book anyway.

• encryptedmind likes this

#27 danoise

danoise

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Renoise Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6330 posts
  • Interests:wildlife + urban trekking

Posted 26 July 2017 - 13:02

If every artist, or writer or musician worried about whether their product would have an audience and let it stop them, then nothing interesting would ever be made. 

So true.

And I would love if I could pick up something like a coffeetable book covering the history of trackers in general, and not just Renoise in particular.

By the coffeetable format, I mean something that aims to inspire, not educate. Nothing gets more quickly outdated than a manual...

• MonsterRadioMan and encryptedmind like this

Tracking with Stuff. API wishlist | Soundcloud

#28 encryptedmind

encryptedmind

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:Jazz, malware, world travel, women

Posted 26 July 2017 - 22:56

I wouldn't worry about the potential audience. If every artist, or writer or musician worried about whether their product would have an audience and let it stop them, then nothing interesting would ever be made. Make it knowing that their might not be much of an audience, but having something out there historical about this is better than having nothing at all, so it's an important, if thankless job. I would read your book anyway.

So true.

And I would love if I could pick up something like a coffeetable book covering the history of trackers in general, and not just Renoise in particular.

By the coffeetable format, I mean something that aims to inspire, not educate. Nothing gets more quickly outdated than a manual...

@skyscape and @danoise thank you very much for the support and good points in general. A coffee table format would be indeed fantastic, I am still thinking about the best way to present the final book and the tone etc. All points are welcome :)

encryptedmind

Victor Marak

uZIK|mAInD|Z0FTwA-RE

#29 Mark2

Mark2

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:39

The market is a niche, so maybe write a book how to transition from one of the big DAWs to Renoise. Though I would not try to convince anyone to stop using a DAW that has very few deficiency like Bitwig. Maybe you could do a comparison with FL Studio which is a good reference in general. I mean, just if it's really like bungle and you assume to some exent that no one would read a 100% Renoise book.

Edited by Mark2, 27 July 2017 - 08:40.

• encryptedmind likes this

#30 encryptedmind

encryptedmind

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:Jazz, malware, world travel, women

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:16

The market is a niche, so maybe write a book how to transition from one of the big DAWs to Renoise. Though I would not try to convince anyone to stop using a DAW that has very few deficiency like Bitwig. Maybe you could do a comparison with FL Studio which is a good reference in general. I mean, just if it's really like bungle and you assume to some exent that no one would read a 100% Renoise book.

Its not like what Bungle says (he is funny :)). Its just that the effort has never been made till now. If so, then please name any previous 'bombed' books or whatever. I get it, its a niche thing, but then a lot of things are niche in todays world. While not everything niche warrants its own 'book' - trackers and Renoise have a weight to them that warrants getting a book out. Your points are good and I will take it into account while building the TOC. 100% Renoise is certainly a plan, but not just yet, first we have to warm the waters. Thanks!

Edited by encryptedmind, 27 July 2017 - 10:17.

encryptedmind

Victor Marak

uZIK|mAInD|Z0FTwA-RE