What keyboards do you all use when using Renoise?

Hi Renoisers,

I use an LG K380 keyboard when I using Renoise with my laptop or browsing on my iPad or Wordpress on my phones, even with my iMac and Macbook and my PC Rig when on Renoise projects.

I would love to know the keyboards that most of you use for our beloved DAW.

https://goo.gl/images/Z87oMr

Can’t seem to post image from mobile.

Corsair Strafe RGB Silent

Made for gamers, is a marvel to control DAWs.Mechanical, silent, with 100% simultaneous pulsation and RGB LED with individual lighting control per key. A wonder of Corsair with switches Cherry MX RGB Silent.

If you want a serious controller, here’s one.

Most mechanical keyboards are a scandal…

Edited:I’ve always wanted to do a topic like this. I do not know why I have not done it yet.

I can warmly recommend gaming keyboards for renoise action. Though you will want one without special/differen wasd mechanics/stiffnes or so. Things are very snappy to use and robust, and also tend to let you jam more complex chords without loosing notes on some combinations, like often the case on generic keyboards.

I use renoise on a workstation computer, with an apex raw keyboard. I find it was a good choice for me. But I am especially liking medium flat profile rubber dome keyboards with snappy short key travel etc, and like its relative stiffness. Other people might be annoyed by the flat keyboard profile and prefer mechanical style with clicky tactile feedback. I remember my first keyboard of this style took me ages until I was able to type fast and not constantly hit the adjecent keys, but since I am much faster than on keyboards with long key travel. Only downside is it seems to have a non 100% perfect space bar by default, it is very big and light and is very easy to hit fast, but sometimes issues 2 events instead of just one if one taps it just a tiny bit too lightly near the edges.

Oh, and I also recommend illuminated keyboards. For me it is a very cozy, inspiring atmosphere to be renoising at night in very dim light and with dark renoise theme, but with the illumination I am still able to instantly locate every key when I have to. You know once in a while you will need it, for example for special key combos, even if you can type blind most of the time. At least for me it is important.

Still have to work out a concept on how to map the macro/function keys. Thought about the left strip to control analyser settings, and the top row to switch use case scenarios. Stuff for next winter to think about.

@garret: Haha, we have a very similar configuration I see !

@raul : Nice recommendation.

I can warmly recommend gaming keyboards for renoise action. Though you will want one without special/differen wasd mechanics/stiffnes or so. Things are very snappy to use and robust, and also tend to let you jam more complex chords without loosing notes on some combinations, like often the case on generic keyboards.

I use renoise on a workstation computer, with an apex raw keyboard. I find it was a good choice for me. But I am especially liking medium flat profile rubber dome keyboards with snappy short key travel etc, and like its relative stiffness. Other people might be annoyed by the flat keyboard profile and prefer mechanical style with clicky tactile feedback. I remember my first keyboard of this style took me ages until I was able to type fast and not constantly hit the adjecent keys, but since I am much faster than on keyboards with long key travel. Only downside is it seems to have a non 100% perfect space bar by default, it is very big and light and is very easy to hit fast, but sometimes issues 2 events instead of just one if one taps it just a tiny bit too lightly near the edges.

Oh, and I also recommend illuminated keyboards. For me it is a very cozy, inspiring atmosphere to be renoising at night in very dim light and with dark renoise theme, but with the illumination I am still able to instantly locate every key when I have to. You know once in a while you will need it, for example for special key combos, even if you can type blind most of the time. At least for me it is important.

Still have to work out a concept on how to map the macro/function keys. Thought about the left strip to control analyser settings, and the top row to switch use case scenarios. Stuff for next winter to think about.

Really good points thanks for sharing. I see many of you are avid gamers and PC builders as well I suppose :slight_smile:

Yeah, the advent keyboard is not so bad. It gets the job done. Although I have seen a few of the advent keyboards out there that are missing a left alt key. I had to avoid those ones because it would be annoying in terms of the waveform editor shortcuts. (zoom into selected area, show all)

I have some QPAD gaming keyboard with not-so-silent switches. Mainly I use and prefer my laptop keyboard, and low profile scissor keyboards in general (logitech ultrax).

How do you guys even track without an insert button? That seems horribly inconvenient, even if it’s available via a modifier. Other must haves are: large enter key and properly arranged arrow keys. Grouped F-keys are a big plus too.

Solar powered wireless Logitech K750. Works like a charm. It lasts forever on a full charge too.

I have some QPAD gaming keyboard with not-so-silent switches. Mainly I use and prefer my laptop keyboard, and low profile scissor keyboards in general (logitech ultrax).

How do you guys even track without an insert button? That seems horribly inconvenient, even if it’s available via a modifier. Other must haves are: large enter key and properly arranged arrow keys. Grouped F-keys are a big plus too.

My keyboard has the INS key as well, without it editing would be really a chore. The Logitech Keyboard Options software lets you configure the function keys and the media control buttons to other things. I also use a Logitech Hyperion Gaming Mouse with complementary settings. I try to avoid the mouse for anything since I got the Macbook trackpad years ago. I use on the spot macros like using the Middle Mouse wheel for Esc in the pattern editor as the record activator, thus making the mouse and keyboard invoke record without me having to disconnect or search for the icon when using the mouse. If I am working exclusively on the sampler for the session then I change accordingly and record new keystrokes and map them to the different buttons and wheel.

LG K750 is a fuller sized and solar powered one, but the wireless dongle thing bugged me out. Batteries do last abut 2 years with the K380 and also works with other devices like when working on Caustic on my mobile just via bluetooth if I do not use the OTG MIDI connection. Nice one though for its intended audience.

I’m not too fussed about keyboards, but I’ve gotten used to mechanical keyboards, so that is what I have. Right now I’m alternating between a SteelSeries 6Gv2 (Cherry black switches) and a Corsair K65 (with Cherry red switches). I go back and forth on which switches I prefer. The red ones are lighter, but I constantly bottom out the keys when typing. The black ones are heavier and resist more, but are quieter (I work nights a lot, so that matters).

I only have the 6Gv2 because it was discounted (€59 for a mechanical keyboard is a really good price) and I wanted to try out Cherry blacks. My experiences with SteelSeries keyboard haven’t been stellar. The Apex RAW I had performed poorly within a year, and I had an MSI laptop with a SteelSeries keyboard that also fell apart somewhat quickly. In both cases the print came off fast also. Satisfied with the 6Gv2 so far, though, but I don’t expect the print to last (not laser etched).

I overall prefer simple keyboards without extras like LEDs, macro keys, USB hub, headphone jacks, etc. I guess I’m a little boring that way! :slight_smile:

I like trackpoint more than a mouse (mostly) so I use a compact USB ThinkPad keyboard

I have a few of these; I use one with my Surface Pro 3 often, especially if I’m coding. And my laptop is a thinkpad.

Using the same keyboard for multiple machines is really nice, whatever keyboard you go for.

For specifically musical stuff I have a few MIDI keyboards.

Mostly I use an MPK mini.

I recently bought an MPD226 and I think over time I’ll be using that to adjust parameters (e.g. map the sliders to EQ settings and adjust to taste) as well as recording live composing.

Having figured out (from forum posts) how to record-to-automation pitch modulation MIDI I’m having fun with that as well.

The cover-keyboard that comes with the Surface Pro tablet has no insert key. It’s really not meant for coders. :frowning:

I often use an external keyboard, but if I can’t be bothered with that I use SharpKeys to remap things. I think I made F12 the insert key.

Yes, they mucks with other things but it’s a matter of balancing annoyances.

CAPSLOCK is always mapped to Esc on all my machines.

“CAPSLOCK is always mapped to Esc on all my machines.”

That is dangerously close to the MIDI input area on the computer keyboard. Not sure if you are exceptionally good at avoiding the CAPS LOCK mid-recording or you exclusively use MIDI controllers for note entry. Esc keeps it safer on the left top end so that accidental deleting or overdubbing is prevented.

"I overall prefer simple keyboards without extras like LEDs, macro keys, USB hub, headphone jacks, etc. I guess I’m a little boring that way! :slight_smile:"

I prefer simple stuff too :slight_smile: Less cables to carry and manage and less amount of things to be over dependent on (like distractive lights everywhere in each and every hardware) in-addition to the core essentials that may be a little more than inconvenience if things go awry mid session.

“CAPSLOCK is always mapped to Esc on all my machines.”

That is dangerously close to the MIDI input area on the computer keyboard. Not sure if you are exceptionally good at avoiding the CAPS LOCK mid-recording or you exclusively use MIDI controllers for note entry. Esc keeps it safer on the left top end so that accidental deleting or overdubbing is prevented.

I don’t think I’ve ever hit it by mistake when entering notes.

If I enter notes with a PC keyboard I’m doing it slowly and deliberately.

If I’m playing then I’ll use a MIDI controller of some kind.

I don’t think I’ve ever hit it by mistake when entering notes.

If I enter notes with a PC keyboard I’m doing it slowly and deliberately.

If I’m playing then I’ll use a MIDI controller of some kind.

I assumed everyone plays on the computer keyboard like a piano, apparently some dont :). I certainly do it often and its not at all too different from a regular midi controller in terms of comfort or accuracy once you get used to it. Step entry is still way better in Renoise than using some mouse based 16 button sequencer ‘clicks’ - I used to program Redrum in Reason this way for a long number of years (and feeling stuck with this GUI method) until I discovered Trackers, thank God.

I have a midi keyboard right above my pc keyboard. I kind of use them…in mixed style. Actually I use the midi mostly for jamming/jazzing around and designing and tuning instruments, trying out ideas…but often enter the notes to pattern with the pc keys, because it is faster, closer to the cursor keys etc. Like the difference between musical instrument fun and programming. Also I check/set up modulation automations with mod wheel and a pedal on the midi, but lay down into the graph automation with the mouse in non realtime.

But yes, you could also go with only a pc keyboard, and this is special to renoise that this would work rather well. Then gaming keyboards might have the advantage to allow more complex chords to be played. I personally would miss the midi mostly for being able to rock an instrument, in notes, bend and mod/pedal, while I’m designing its sound until I’m satisfied.

N-key rollover (NKRO) is the only really important spec on a keyboard if you want to actually use it for playing, no other keyboard will allow you to do chords, everything else is just personal feel preference.

N-key rollover (NKRO) is the only really important spec on a keyboard if you want to actually use it for playing, no other keyboard will allow you to do chords, everything else is just personal feel preference.

True, but for soloing a lot of polyphony is not required,especially for legato stuff. Also for quick chord changes like in Neo soul and jazzy hip hop, the chords themselves are sampled and played from one key, the other chords are simply pitched versions or other samples tuned to the progression. You can trigger them just by playing a single note or via MPC pads thru midi. You can also play vocal lines or monophic synth bass lines that do not require polyphony and you can also play most, basic chords and simply transpose them for other keys. Lots of things you can do with just regular keyboard. The main advantage is not only that you can use the same surface for both program control as well as program input, but also that this integration speeds up data entry in the process. However nothing beats a full sized midi keyboard for playing choir samples or Rhodes. Velocity manipulation is also something that N key rollover keyboards do not have the circuit for, so then the only benefit is to play those extra notes that get blocked off on regular versions. Like a basic midi keyboard with no velocity or aftertouch. But ya for regular keys playing an n key will certainly help, just for that one benefit. The other primary benefit that many overlook is that the regular computer keyboard also works as an auditioning board, where you can play different pitched versions of a sample or test synth output from a simulated keyboard this negating the need for a midi controller just for this, especially when browsing. Think how slow or unweildy it would have been if you can only play the samples like a media player and not interact with them without having an external controller,it would greatly be an inconvenience.

Tracking is truly unique and fantastic for composition and prototyping songs to perfection. For the rest of the features if required the bevy of apps and softwares already exist in the market both free and fee that make having each and every thing included a very very redundant requirement. And with VSTi and VST the sky is the limit when it comes to feature integration.

Does anyone know of a VSTi scoring plugin?

I’m alienating my friends with an unlabelled DAS keyboard :slight_smile:

im considering getting a custome keycap set for my keyboard. anyone intersted in helping me design it? WASD lets you customize your own sets. it would awesome to have a renoise logo on the windows key and have the white and black keys a different color…maybe a renosie color scheme too? anyone interested in doing it or should i go it alone?

I just did this in about 5 minutes… http://imgur.com/8JDkf1D

edit. the red keys may be too alarming. they just didnt have the renoise orange color