Microtuning and the MONO glide setting in instruments

Hello!

I might be being dumb here (I’m new to using Renoise) but is there a way to make the glide to note function in the instrument options respect the tuning my samples are in… not sure how to explain this properly :blink:

say I’m using a weird Scala imported tuning for my instrument, the glide command will set the pitches of the glide to 12TET. gliding to a note vs playing the notes separately therefore changes the pitch of the note which is not ideal.

anyway round this. hope I’ve explained it clearly enough, sorry!

thanks,

Chris

Sorry, since the sampler doesn’t support microtonal tunings, I can’t really think of a way that this could achieved in real-time.

When you’re gliding, you are transposing the sample(s) that got triggered into the new pitch, using a regular semitone interval.

Even if the sampler did have some sort of keyzone crossfade mechanism, this would not be enough - at least not for multisample instruments where each sample had a unique tuning. Before such a thing could work it would need to determine the base frequency and adjust the tuning on the fly. Just doing some crossfading would sound, well, pretty bad I could imagine…

ok no worries! thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

Maybe it could be done™. But complicated to set up.

I’ve already used manual pitching via pitch modulation to make constant time glides via formula devices for a monophonic instrument. The normal sampler pitching was completely disabled for this, only pitch modulation was used to pitch the sample. It worked very well! I could imagine the fomula device that calcs/interpolates the pitch offset could as well have tuning data inside and adjust the glides and targets accordingly.

Only problem I see is…you most probably have a multisample instrument, and want the multi (per note) samples be preserved, not just use a single one instead. I would need to make a test to see how renoise behaves around that fact. Glide would never trigger new samples just repitch the currently playing, as it does with the standard renoise glides. But I guess it would be of benefit when an adequate sample is triggered from a list on new (non glide) notes.

If you have interest, upload your instrument or a similar, and the tuning file and maybe info about the scale to be used and range of glides and glide behaviour you wish. I will try to see how I can fix it up!

@OopsIFly: wow, you’re right, it might indeed be possible that way.

@OopslFly

aw thankyou!

actually i was just messing with single cycle waveforms (adventure kid) and various imported tunings using the SCL to XRNI tool. Please don’t worry if this is a lot of work - it was just an observation and i was wondering if i was doing something wrong!

Hi, I am very interested in this! I have a plethora of instruments i have created using non standard tunings and the glide is the only thing that is really frustrating me. Most of my instruments are single samples across keyzones as opposed to multis. Is there any way I could send you an instrument and see if you can getthe glide working between microtones?

Edit: At the risk of being presumptuous, here’s a link to a bass instrument in one of my tunings. Any help much appreciated !

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ppTiRfroqja2zxASLncV2znlFsZjlW2N

Maybe it could be done™. But complicated to set up.

I’ve already used manual pitching via pitch modulation to make constant time glides via formula devices for a monophonic instrument. The normal sampler pitching was completely disabled for this, only pitch modulation was used to pitch the sample. It worked very well! I could imagine the fomula device that calcs/interpolates the pitch offset could as well have tuning data inside and adjust the glides and targets accordingly.

Only problem I see is…you most probably have a multisample instrument, and want the multi (per note) samples be preserved, not just use a single one instead. I would need to make a test to see how renoise behaves around that fact. Glide would never trigger new samples just repitch the currently playing, as it does with the standard renoise glides. But I guess it would be of benefit when an adequate sample is triggered from a list on new (non glide) notes.

If you have interest, upload your instrument or a similar, and the tuning file and maybe info about the scale to be used and range of glides and glide behaviour you wish. I will try to see how I can fix it up!

Hey @tetrahedral_kites I had a session building the stuff I proposed, I uploaded in another thread, maybe you find it useful. microtuned monobass with glide/legato!

https://forum.renoise.com/t/microtuned-monobass-with-glide/49507