Photo

Are there any Renoisers who are open to couch surfing?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 encryptedmind

encryptedmind

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:Jazz, malware, world travel, women

Posted 08 September 2017 - 16:36

Thank you very much @Renoised for your insights and sharing your experiences, I really appreciate it ๐Ÿ˜Š Well I am exploring the Couch Surfing app and am going to host one guest this week. Let's see how the experience goes and then I can do similar when I go to Europe. In my experience nothing beats paying for quality but sometimes, and I mean sometimes, the payment does not provide full value for money so a little exploration would not hurt. Cheers!

Edited by encryptedmind, 08 September 2017 - 16:36.

encryptedmind

Victor Marak

uZIK|mAInD|Z0FTwA-RE

#27 Renoised

Renoised

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 16:56

Totally hear you on that one, Vic, just don't freak them out or anything :D

• encryptedmind likes this

#28 encryptedmind

encryptedmind

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:Jazz, malware, world travel, women

Posted 19 September 2017 - 22:10

To any of you who might be on a similar setup to travel extensively and are reading this post, I found some very good options.

Workaway.info

Helpx

Working Traveller

Hovos.com

Couchsurfing (but it's unpredictable initially).

All of them are paid options valid for an entire year. So I see of it being like this, you could technically stay an entire year or two living on someone elses property for free while still having time to do your own work and travel, bearing only transportation expenses and visa or documentation. Still beats paying rent month after month:) 

My experience with Workaway.info, fare is just 27 dollars for the one year single traveller option. I already have contacted 7 hosts and 4 hosts have contacted me for staying in their arrangments. I have 17,000 hosts on the host list from all continents. Two of my invitations are from Europe one in Sweden and one in Austria. I am going for a Bangkok gig first to build my profile reputation points. Locally in Goa and Delhi, Nepal, Kasol and Mumbai many hosts on the lookout for volunteering and long term stay, some even with a pay. 

Work ranges from website design to writing and marketing or gardening and teaching or videography and even music production (!). It varies as each host is different, working hours are 20 hours per week expected. In Bangkok I will be working in the reception area and doing computer maintenance (right up my alley), playing music in the bar area if required and mostly talking to guests. Free dorm bed and food. I get to pay for flights (including return) to Bangkok 100 dollars. Visa 20 dollars. Duration of stay 1 month. I love the free food part. One month of fun and stay for 120 dollars initial costs is cool. Also added free trip to floating markets and temple sights and other stuff.

I am not expecting all smooth rides but for this low expenses and the travel factor this beats Couchsurfing and AirBnB hands down. AirBnB still means  a you pay for accomodation. For short trips or rushing by  it's  a fine but for long trips why pay for hostel or hotel when you  I can  I stay  for free. It's also easy to spread thin and just like music gear it pays to engage in one resource deep enough before you move to the next and build speed with time.

Bon journo to anyone who feels like getting out of their studio and getting some sunlight.

Edited by encryptedmind, 19 September 2017 - 22:30.

encryptedmind

Victor Marak

uZIK|mAInD|Z0FTwA-RE